SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched the Ferrari incident about a dozen times now and it still isn’t clear to me who drove into who. Aside from that, Vettel looks bored with driving to me. Doesn’t seem to have the killer instinct he used to drive with when he was at RBR.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The camera looking straight down the section of the track showed Leclerc driving absolutely straight and Vettel drifting left into him. Vettel claimed HE was driving straight and Leclerc squeezed him. No way. I wonder if Seb will ever admit it, even after looking at the tape.

I don’t know what’s next for Ferrari. Someone needs to get slapped down. They are going to have to tell the drivers that they’ll control the race from the pit wall from now on, and if either driver disobeys any team order, they’ll be sitting out the next race. If Binotto can’t take firm control, maybe he needs to go.

That's what I saw too.
The view looking back up the straight shows the center line and Leclerc was aligned on it the whole time. Vettel went to his left and hit him then went back to his right for the next corner, not knowing his tire had been cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKYB4fDz5Vc

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I put it on Vettel but man, such a slight move. Amazing there would be such damage to both cars.

Early in the race, Leclerc from back in the field was in almost identical position to Norris except the positions were reversed from the Vettel incident. Leclerc came hard to the center, Norris had to lurch left to avoid contact. There were several similar moments with other drivers throughout the race and other lurches to avoid contact.

Leclerc gave Vettel just enough room for the outside move, SV tried to find more space for the next turn. Leclerc gave nothing, they both lost. Vettel was presumptuous, Leclerc hard headed. With fresher tires, Leclerc needed some patience, plenty of opportunities were waiting. A battle of wills with some red mist in the red cars.

Ignoring the consequences, nothing as inept as Ricciardo on (I forget) early and Hammy on Albon late.

I'm amused that Max could pass Hammy in such massive fashion for the lead/win, Lew stumbles through Albon shortly thereafter in an ill-advised attempt to regain some dignity. Great that LH owned up but a real shame for Albon and that missed podium.

Whatever else, Interlagos is maybe my favorite track. Fast, great atmosphere and a history of action-packed, memorable racing. Best race of the year? I'm no judge, I was worked up throughout but some of that came from me hurling invectives at the announce team.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Vettel moved over & it looked like Leclerc made 2 moves to avoid (to the left).

Looked like a fairly insignificant touch, but wheel to wheel just enough to crack the suspension on Leclerc.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't link it through my phone, but Red Bull released a video performing a pit stop in zero gravity that is pretty cool. I'll add the link tonight when I get home.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I can't link it through my phone, but Red Bull released a video performing a pit stop in zero gravity that is pretty cool. I'll add the link tonight when I get home.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMICgfzICs

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They did two in a row last weekend in the race at under 1.9 seconds each.
That is impressive.

https://www.formula1.com/en/vi..._stop_in_Brazil.html

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Latifi confirmed in the 2nd Williams alongside Russell.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
So, what are your guesses for Bottas' finishing place?

Brand new PU, last race, can turn it up to 11 & push it. Does he make it on the podium?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Brand new PU, last race, can turn it up to 11 & push it. Does he make it on the podium?

Top 6 for sure without any incidents. Likely top 3.
The Ferrari split tire strategy will be interesting. Charles needs to hold his place at the start. Vettel's head doesn't seem to be in the game this weekend.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Top 6 for sure without any incidents. Likely top 3.
The Ferrari split tire strategy will be interesting. Charles needs to hold his place at the start. Vettel's head doesn't seem to be in the game this weekend.

I think in a clean eventless race, a podium is a stretch. He'll have his elbows out for sure & probably push harder than he would normally.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched the race yet, but saw the results.

80 days to winter testing....

posted Hide Post
My favorite team to watch this year was easily McLaren. I don't think anybody can watch that team, and not think to themselves that those lads truly are team and friends simultaneously. I am overly impressed that Norris finished 11th for the year, and Sainz finished 6th.

My rookie of the year goes to Albon.

Most improved goes to LeClerc.

Best drive of the year goes to Hamilton for his performance in Abu Dhabi, with a close second to Verstappen in Austria.

My "in by a hair" award goes to Williams. Because of their singular point, it will earn them an additional $15 million. Without the point, they would forfeit being classified, meaning only 9 of the 10 teams would share payouts.

Most improved team is certainly Ferrari, but I can't help but wonder how many point they would have if they stopped being so Ferrari. Meaning they made so many mistakes this year.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Great last race. Lots of midfield action.
So so close to the podium for Bottas. 0.9 was the last time gap I saw at the line.

106 days to lights out in Melbourne.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’m too much of a Debbie Downer, but I don’t have much confidence that 2020 is going to be much different than last six seasons. Until the rules change in 2021, I don’t think Mercedes is going to be seriously challenged by either Ferrari or Red Bull.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With how much the Honda PU has improved, I can see RBR fighting for some wins in '20. Ferrari still improving.

I imagine the MBZ consistency will still be a huge benefit for them next year, but it will be more of a fight.

Hoping for a continuation of the great midfield fights we've had this season & for Williams to get some major improvement in the offseason.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Maybe I’m too much of a Debbie Downer, but I don’t have much confidence that 2020 is going to be much different than last six seasons. Until the rules change in 2021, I don’t think Mercedes is going to be seriously challenged by either Ferrari or Red Bull.

Being negative about F1 is just common sense.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Interesting tho mostly dull final race. Here's hoping Alonso is back in 2021!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Raacing . to become Aston Martin F1

quote:

From 2021 onwards, the SportPesa Racing Point will be rebranded to Aston Martin Formula 1 team. The rebranding is part of a new investment deal, courtesy Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

After a meeting between all concerned parties, Stroll Sr led a consortium to buy a 16.7 percent stake in the company for £182 million. According to filings lodged with the London Stock Exchange, Aston Martin was banking on an ‘enhanced’ F1 involvement.

What this also means is that Aston Martin’s title sponsorship deal with Red Bull Racing will conclude at the end of the 2020 season. Meanwhile, the Racing Point F1 team will be rebranded as the Aston Martin F1 works team, effective from the 2021 season.

Details of the agreement includes sponsorship from 2021. This will continue for another four years, with an option to extend the deal, subject to certain conditions.

Interestingly, the Red Bull and Aston Martin relationship will not end entirely. Apparently, the two companies struck a separate deal, involving the Valkyrie hypercar.

The outfit also has a long term deal in place for Mercedes customer engines. However, there are suggestions that the team could become closer to the German automobile giants in the future.

Stroll told the media: “On completion of the £500m of fundraising I look forward to working with the Board and management team in Aston Martin Lagonda to review and improve each aspect of the company’s operations and marketing; to continue to invest in the development of new models and technologies and to start to rebalance production to prioritise demand over supply.”

Meanwhile, Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer was confident that Stroll will bring in plenty of expertise to the manufacturer. Palmer also believes that Stroll’s experience will be beneficial to the company in the future.

He even made sure to thank Red Bull Racing for their cooperation. Palmer even assured that they will honour their mutual contract until the end of 2020.

IIRC, AM uses Mercedes engines in their road cars, so RP remaining an MBZ engine customer still works.
Curious how much this will affect RBR, to lose their title sponsor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Interesting tho mostly dull final race. Here's hoping Alonso is back in 2021!

I’d say no chance of Alonso coming back. Great driver that he is, he’s also making it all about him, and none of the big teams want to deal with the drama. No sane person would partner him with Verstappen, Hamilton, or Leclerc, so that leaves him out at RBR, Merc, and Ferrari. Marko wouldn’t want to deal with him, so he’s out at STR (or whatever they’ve renamed themselves this year). Won’t go to Williams because they can’t afford him, plus they’ll still suck. Burned bridges at Renault by very publicly badmouthing their sucky engine, and doubt McLaren will have him back either. No to Haas and Alfa because can’t pay/won’t be competitive. That leaves Racing Point, but it’s unlikely that they’ll ditch Perez; Stroll is the one to go, but Daddy won’t fire him.

In short, I think almost everyone in F1 is tired of the Fernando Alonso show.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post