SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Always liked Imola in the old days. Be interesting how the current F1 cars do on it compared to the past. Know nothing about the track in Portugal.

I almost made the same mistake earlier today believing with the return of the Portuguese Grand Prix, they would return to Estoril, however after further reading they are using Portimao Track (AIA), which last held a formula race in 2009 for F2. I am very excited to see a race on a virgin track to see which driver and teams can nail setup and keep it on track.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the cars back on the classic tracks. The fly away races brought in big bucks but many of the newer tracks had no real personality.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...1mPizIDrg3jrWXJ.html

quote:

Sergio Perez will not be able to race in this weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone after he tested positive for Covid-19.

The Racing Point driver was absent from the circuit on Thursday after self-isolating following what his team called an "inconclusive" test.

But after being re-tested later in the day, it was confirmed he had registered positive for the virus.

"Perez has entered self-quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the relevant public health authorities, and will continue to follow the procedure mandated by those authorities," read a statement issued by Formula 1 and the FIA.

"With assistance of the local organiser of the British Grand Prix, local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a full track and trace initiative has been undertaken and all close contacts have been quarantined.

"The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 have provided for swift containment of an incident that will have no wider impact on this weekend’s event."

Formula 1 is following a strict testing regime as part of the safety protocols put in place when racing resumed earlier this month, and this is the first time a driver has tested positive.

It's understood Racing Point intend to still run two car's in this weekend's race, with a revised driver line-up to be announced in due course.

A team spokesperson earlier confirmed a small group of team members that were in contact with Perez were self-isolating as a precaution and being re-tested, as is standard procedure.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...L6OqwFLCW3P6nGz.html

quote:

Nico Hulkenberg is set to make a shock return to Formula 1 as Sergio Perez’s replacement at Racing Point for this weekend’s British Grand Prix, with the German spotted outside Silverstone on Friday morning.

Perez tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday, leaving Racing Point in need of a driver, and it seems they have turned to a man who raced for them in their Force India guise in 2012, and from 2014 to 2016.

Hulkenberg left Formula 1 at the end of last season after Renault opted not to renew his contract and he did not find a suitable drive elsewhere on the grid. But at the time, he told F1.com it didn't feel like it was the end.

He was linked to a return to Renault for 2021, but missed out after the French manufacturer opted to facilitate double world champion Fernando Alonso’s sensational return.

But sources confirmed to Formula1.com on Thursday that Hulkenberg was the team’s leading contender to step in for Perez, who is now in self-isolation.

“I was on my way to the Nürburgring for another racing project when the call from Otmar came," said Hulkenberg. "That was less than 24 hours ago, so it feels a bit surreal for me right now, but I like a good challenge and this is certainly one.

"It’s obviously a difficult situation for Racing Point and Checo. He’s a buddy of mine, an old team-mate and I wish him a speedy recovery. I’ll step in and try do the best I can for the team!”

Otmar Szafnauer, Racing Point Team Principal, added: "Having to find a replacement for Sergio at short notice is no easy task, but in Nico we’ve got a fantastic supersub who the team knows very well. He’s certainly being thrown in at the deep end, but he’s a fast learner and I’m sure he will get up to speed quickly.”

As first practice for the British Grand Prix neared, Hulkenberg was still waiting for his test result, but the German made it into the track in time for FP1.

The arrangement is for this weekend’s British Grand Prix, but with Perez set to be unavailable for the second race at Silverstone, too, it is understood Hulkenberg will contest both Grands Prix for the team.

With 177 races under his belt and no podiums, Hulkenberg famously holds one of F1's least wanted records. But with Racing Point's RP20 expected to go well at Silverstone, he returns to action with no better chance of ending that drought.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why teams have reserve drivers, but when one is actually needed, they get someone else. Hulkenberg isn’t RP’s reserve driver. He has no familiarity with the car, probably doesn’t have time for a proper seat fitting, and isn’t up on all of the F1 Covid protocols, so they have to run around to get him in the car. Don’t see how he is better. Seems like a slap in the face to RP’s designated reserve drivers.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t understand why teams have reserve drivers, but when one is actually needed, they get someone else. Hulkenberg isn’t RP’s reserve driver. He has no familiarity with the car, probably doesn’t have time for a proper seat fitting, and isn’t up on all of the F1 Covid protocols, so they have to run around to get him in the car. Don’t see how he is better. Seems like a slap in the face to RP’s designated reserve drivers.

From what I've read:
Vandoorne is unavailable as he is racing Formula E.
Gutierrez hasn't driven an F1 car since 2016 & may not have an active superlicense.

Hulkenberg is a former Force India driver, and is familiar with the team, and only a few races (and winter testing) out of practice.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hulkenberg is a former Force India driver, and is familiar with the team, and only a few races (and winter testing) out of practice

Plus they have a recent mold of his ass, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Hate that for Checo - was really hoping he had an incredibly good showing each race to really put the screws to RP/Stroll for making the decision to replace him, assuming they do. Guess he'll be back for Spain. Will be interesting to see if this turns into a Fl Marlins story - really hope not!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

From what I've read:
Gutierrez hasn't driven an F1 car since 2016 & may not have an active superlicense.

Hulkenberg is a former Force India driver, and is familiar with the team, and only a few races (and winter testing) out of practice.

Fair point about Vandoorne, but that begs the question about why keep Gutierrez as a Reserve Driver, especially if he doesn’t have an active superlicense?

I do think it would be funny, though, if Hulkenberg beat Stroll.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hulk was 9 in FP1, so his seat must work....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Hulk was 9 in FP1, so his seat must work....

But, he was complaining about some hip discomfort.
I think the RP chassis is a bit narrower than the FI, so it's a bit snug.
And, IIRC, Hulk's one of the bigger driver's on the grid.

At the red flag in FP2 he was in 7th, 0.6 sec off Stroll [in 1st].

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

From what I've read:

Fair point about Vandoorne, but that begs the question about why keep Gutierrez as a Reserve Driver, especially if he doesn’t have an active superlicense?

I do think it would be funny, though, if Hulkenberg beat Stroll.

Gutierrez - Sim driver & just in case sub race driver?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"Gutierrez - Sim driver & just in case sub race driver?"

My guess is that the money from Mexico that comes with Perez specifies Gutierrez gets a check there too.

Back when Gutierrez first showed up in F-1 everyone thought he would smoke Perez. Didn't work out that way.
This race is a good place for the team to pick up good points as it suits the cars strong points and Nico is considered a better prospect to bring those (money paying) points home. He raced for the team for several years also so they are familiar with him.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
A full second between 2nd & 3rd in Q3.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
So does Chinstrap win by more or less than 10 seconds tomorrow? I’ll take the over.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
So does Chinstrap win by more or less than 10 seconds tomorrow? I’ll take the over.

I'll take the under on that. Bottas has been on a good run this weekend.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

I'll take the under on that. Bottas has been on a good run this weekend.

Correct on taking the under, but wrong horse! Big Grin

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I know I've made mentions that while Chinstrap is a good driver, he is overrated, but those last two laps was prayer and perseverance. That was a huge gut check with Max going full speed with new tires.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gutted for Bottas, he ran a good race.

1 level softer tire compounds next week & expected warmer temperatures.
Almost guarantees 2 stop strategy.

Wonder if RBR is kicking themselves for pitting Max? They'd likely have won otherwise, barring a similar tire failure.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like next weekend will be the medium and hard compounds only unless the weather cools.
Several drivers need to raise their game. Albon and Vettel come to mind and Stroll too if his dad wasn’t writing the checks. Would have liked to have seen Hulkenberg in the race as the teams performance was disappointing.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^^Vettel seems to be having a Bottas 2018 year. Car just doesn't seem suited to him, like it is for Leclerc.