SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well crap...the start sucked

just deleted the rest of the race...

what a clusterf*^k that was

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
So very sad. It could have been worse, Leigh Diffey wasn't there going all Leigh Diffey.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That was Vettel's race to loose and that he did.
I don't think he had any idea Kimi had such a good start and was outside of Max but he didn't give any room regardless.
Even if had let Max past and couldn't re-pass, Hamilton would have lost points and Vettel would be back in the lead.
Now, he may have ended his hopes this year. He needs some mistakes and unreliability from Hamilton to get back in the game and that hasn't happened much this year.
What a start from Alonso, too bad it was wasted again.
Pretty boring after that.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd have to call it a pure racing incident with the wild card being Kimi's start. Vettel would be expected to show his hip to Max, three into one doesn't go unless you count fractions which the cars pretty much were in the end.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
well crap...the start sucked

just deleted the rest of the race...

what a clusterf*^k that was

My feelings as well. I watched long enough to hear comments from those involved, and will probably delete the rest. It was difficult to tell, but Vettel must not have had much of a lead when he cut across, or he wouldn't have been hit by the car(s) behind him, so I'm not sure he's totally guilt-free in this whole deal. Maybe I'll fast-forward to the post-race commentary so I can see Obbs's summary after he's had more of a chance to analyze.

On another note, I watched Sam Posey race on several occasions, and it's sad to see what Parkinson's has done to him.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
As the leader Vettel did nothing wrong by moving as he did. It is very common among all the drivers to try and shut the door on the second car which is all he did. If Kimi wouldn't have gotten such a good start nothing bad would have happened. Max and Red Bull whining about it is just the pot calling the kettle black. I was dreading the start because I expected Max to torpedo Vettel which is his normal but Kimi filled in for him today.

On a side note it was most pleasing to get to watch practice and qualifying with Bob Varsha back. I didn't turn the tv off after the first lap wreck but I did fast forward all the way to the end. Would've done that even without the wreck because I figured rain on a street circuit just made the race unwatchable (which it was).

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
On a side note it was most pleasing to get to watch practice and qualifying with Bob Varsha back. QUOTE]

It sure was. Still, something odd about it. Particularly during the practice, there was zero chemistry with Bob and his old mates. More than just dry and flat, there was almost a tension. They seemed a little more comfortable during quali but still an edge there. Unless I missed it, they didn't even acknoledge Diffey's abscence until the end of quali.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think Varsha is starting to lose his voice. I know he's not working as much as he use to and I don't know how much notice he gets from NBC Sports. The first year he had several months notice because of clear schedule conflicts. After the Olympics, he didn't have much notice after Diffey caught something nasty covering the rowing and open water events.

And the FIA will not take any further action on the Ferarri/Verstappen kafuffle.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bit of a shame, McHonda could've put up a good result, Alonso was on a flyer at the start.

Seemed odd that Bottas wasn't matching pace with HAM & RIC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looked like Alonso was up to third, which would have been second a few corners later after Vettel crashed.
I wonder if they didn't tell Bottas to hold station until the end so Riccardo wouldn't press Lewis? He did turn it up in the last few laps when it became clear that Lewis had things covered at the front.
Even though 1-2 would have been better, I'm sure they were pretty happy at Mercedes when it was all over.
Big missed opportunity for Ferrari.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good point, didn't consider RIC putting undue pressure on HAM.

Funny that they ran a lap or two over. Not a lot of F1 races that go over on time, but with a 10/10 safety car rate at Marina Bay, seems to remain a likelihood.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
These showed up at my door today!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Nice!!! Ticket arrival is almost as exciting as the event.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Need to add P250UAS to my hate list for a month... Wink

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Need to add P250UAS to my hate list for a month... Wink

Big Grin I've been wanting to get tickets since the inaugural year at COTA.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Any tips for a first time F1GP attender?
Not planning on taking much into the track, camera bag with a couple lenses & probably a couple ponchos instead of umbrellas.

posted Hide Post
If your tickets allow you to pick where you sit, check vids of the previous races there to get the best location. Decide if you want corners, straights, pit action, etc., before you go.

Before the excellent race coverage we have become used to, I went to the Montreal GP, picked the wrong place to view from, and saw damned little of the race. It was too crowded, once the race started, to relocate for a better view, and I effectively wasted a week's vacation including travel time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
As if this season hasn't gone down the toilet bad enough --

Lewis Hamilton may 'take a knee' at the US GP as he backs NFL protests

I see these NFL antics as uniquely American. If there are problems in Great Britain, Lew can start a trend over there. Hopefully Mercedes will give the little fellow a good talking to.

posted Hide Post
I've had it with Hamilton, and with F-1 in general. I deleted the last race shortly after the Ferraris took themselves out, didn't bother to watch the rest of the race, and if he pulls that shit at Austin, I'll boycott them, just like we're boycotting the NFL.

Fuck Hamilton!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
**Not a Spoiler**

Post race, cool down incident with Vettel and Stroll. Over at Autosport's F1 forum, I had to endure page upon page of Hamilton fanboi mocking, laughter and blame of Vettel until this surfaced (the fanbois are still working overtime trying to blame Vettel as I type).