SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
... besides, I like to imbibe when I watch my F1, and I can't do that in the morning.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning! Big Grin

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bahrain this weekend.

First impressions of PSVue are not too favorable.
Running it via a PS3, it's a bit laggy, though the traditional style channel guide is nice.

Will see how it is when using the DVR to watch qualifying tomorrow morning.

Did a little streaming on TG:UK & it wasn't bad, takes a bit to accustom to the controls.

Looking like a red show this weekend, based on Q2 performance.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something or did they show qualifying without any commercials during the session?
The last race coverage was a terrible broadcast because they used the European pay version (non-stop coverage) but it wasn't coordinated with the US so ours had commercials randomly spliced in and missed a lot of the action.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Did I miss something or did they show qualifying without any commercials during the session?
The last race coverage was a terrible broadcast because they used the European pay version (non-stop coverage) but it wasn't coordinated with the US so ours had commercials randomly spliced in and missed a lot of the action.

PSVue fail here, shows no longer available. Mad But as I recall, they always show each Q session commercial free, with a break between sessions. I think ESPN did the same in Australia.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Yeah, no ads in qualy today. Not sure how that works for ESPN but we the viewers benefit. I guess the whole thing is a work in progress.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My above PSVue fail was only partially valid. Turns out it did record FP3, but playback was unavailable via PS3, worked fine through the PSVue app on my phone Confused
PSVue did not record qualifying. I did thoroughly enjoy the fully commercial free race coverage, but watched it live rather than rely on the iffy PSVue DVR.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
It was a little odd to watch the race commercial free.

I like the commentary much more than whinny Diffey and the graphics were really interesting and informative.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
It was a little odd to watch the race commercial free.

I like the commentary much more than whinny Diffey and the graphics were really interesting and informative.

No ads make for no fast forwarding, gotta budget more viewing time, that's fine but how is ESPN making money?

Liking the announce team, not a moments hesitation as they rattled through the field racing shoulder to shoulder.

Minor spoiler, loved the STR team celebrating their finish, they reminded me of blue Minions. Smile

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think the no ad coverage is due to them not having a broadcast of their own on place yet. I enjoyed it today.
The race was a real nail biter today and passing was possible at this track.
Nice to see the Toro Roso do well to mix things up. Had to piss off McLaren though.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

...how is ESPN making money?...

Most likely they are not, at the moment. Considering the backlash after the last race's coverage, I imagine they were told by F-1 to go commercial-free until they can figure out how to work them in without screwing it up.

The US market for F-1 has always been shaky, at best. Interest just doesn't really exist once you eliminate those of us who are (or were) hard-core, and without that historic base you have to generate and keep new fans. Even today's coverage was pathetic compared to coverage of a US race (or past years' F-1, for that matter).

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an exhilarating race!

It was interesting to see the race with no ads. Definitely a mea culpa for the crap show last week.

I did notice the top right would say it was presented by Mothers so I'm guessing they chipped in a couple bucks to help. Good on them.

My guess is someone it crunching the numbers to see what's more cost effective, running the races ad free with 'exclusive presenters' like Mothers, or hiring a production team, on air talent, build/use a studio, etc etc so they can run ads.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I hope it's ok to do this, mods please delete if not. From another forum, a discussion on what we're seeing on ESPN. This guy seems to have a handle on things, it's about "time buys" --

A time buy is when a producer of an event or program "buys" the slot in which that coverage is shown. That is they give the outlet either what they would get from revenue selling the spots or something of like value. The producer then either works in conjunction with the broadcast outlet to produce the show or in this case the producer provides the feeds turn key. What's in it for FOM is ESPN was the only outlet willing to broadcast the races. NBC surprised FOM by not renewing the contract. ESPN was not bidding on the contract and were the backup plan for the NBC coverage falling through. Without FOM buying the slot and providing the coverage there would be no F1 available this season in the US. The reason it aired commercial free is because ESPN isn't losing revenue by doing it.

ESPN execs have made it clear they aren't interested in F1. They've stated they will not be dedicating any resources toward the production. They'll take only what FOM provide them though FOM is said to have engaged Sky for some US specific content. ESPN has discounted pre and post race coverage claiming viewers aren't interested. Anyone with even a passing interest in F1 knows that's not the case. A good bit of the coverage is streamed or available on lower tier ESPN outlets like ESPN News. For linear TV viewers there is significantly less content available in that about half of what NBC aired (in terms of per minute coverage) is available to most subscribers in the US without going online. This is a business transaction plain and simple for ESPN. The ratings for the first race were a 0.05. IOW less than a couple hundred thousand, perhaps under 100k watched live. When the numbers are that low the sampling error makes it difficult to gauge how many watch. ESPN isn't doing us any favors out of the goodness of their own heart. It's because someone bought and paid for the deal.

http://forums.autosport.com/to...an-grand-prix/page-4

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

...ESPN execs have made it clear they aren't interested in F1. They've stated they will not be dedicating any resources toward the production...

I don't want to read too much into this, but it sounds like F1 has jumped the shark, at least in the US market, and may not be able to recover in the near term (5 years or more).

All these rules changes, complications, penalties, etc., have certainly soured my interest, along with Hamilton's whining, and I'd bet a substantial percentage of the American viewers feel pretty much the same. I still can't believe Bottas got a 5-spot grid penalty for replacing accident damage in the first race!

It's time for F-1 to move on.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Ok race, couldn't stand the line interviewer, better general broadcasting thou

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Every so often at the top right hand corner, there's was a placard saying it was commercial free by Mother's Polish. So I guess we can do kickstarter for each race for about $3.76 to have it supported by "viewers like you..." Big Grin

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
It was nice to see it commercial-free, and Seb had one helluva drive on tires that had to be totally shot. Crazy to watch Kimi fold that poor guy's leg under his left rear as well. More than anything else, it was nice to see that whiny, little bitch Hamilton get stuck in third place. I used to really like that kid, but he acts like it's his God-given right to win every race, and I'm beyond tired of Mercedes winning constantly.

I'll also agree wholeheartedly with newtoSig765. Everything he said about F1 makes it very hard to continue to watch, and near impossible for someone new to start to like it in the first place. Pick a forumla and stick with it. I want way less aero, no DRS, engines that scream at damn near 20,000 RPM, and parity between manufacturers. I have no idea to accomplish those things, but I'd watch that series every weekend.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thought it was a good race, quite a few surprises from the mid-pack.
Loved it being commercial free.

Hope the Ferrari tire changer heals up quickly, broken tibia/fibula was what I read.

As a Bottas fan, was hoping he'd close the gap & steal the win, glad for a P2 for him. Very impressive drive by Vettel, who said his tires were done with about 10 laps to go.

Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks F1 has become way, way to over-regulated and "formulated?" In the 70s and 80s (and maybe before), there seemed to be far fewer restrictions on vehicle design.
Perhaps a limit on overall length, width, and height (all for safety reasons) and who cares about a weight limit, probably engine displacement (typically smaller for turbo and larger for normally aspirated), and some required safety features would perhaps lead to far more interesting design developments. Gas? Ethanol? Nitro-methane? Diesel? Why the limit? Let the teams decide.
Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, or case-hardened peanut butter for tires - again, let the teams decide as long as the tires are safe and don't fly apart at speed? If one team can figure out how to generate truly significant extra RPMs, torque, and HP out of a given displacement size limit, why should they be restricted in any other way? What about turbine engines (ala Andy Granatelli at Indy).
Except for VERY minute differences in aerodynamics (all but invisible to the vast majority of observers), the cars all look the same. Why limit electric motor or wing usage? If a team can figure out how to use them all the time, why penalize their genius?
Experimenting with new materials, new engine designs, new tires, new aero, etc. seems to me to create the opportunity for more competition and more advancements in automotive performance.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Three nail biter finishes in F1, NASCAR and Indy Car with Indy Car being far and away the best with actual racing.

It's almost a shame the F1 finish had my heart pounding the last ten laps with the POSSIBILITY of a pass. Eek Roll Eyes But yeah for sure, I couldn't look away.

I wish I could find a stat I ran across about the percent of those under 30 who don't own cars or even drive, it's astounding. About the only shade tree mechanics these days are working on old stuff, stuff that could be worked on. Maybe racing's biggest crisis is where are the new fans going to come from?

So much to find wrong with F1, maybe it's insistence to be "green" and "woke" are the biggest obstacles to a fan-friendly series.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
Am I the only one who thinks F1 has become way, way to over-regulated and "formulated?" In the 70s and 80s (and maybe before), there seemed to be far fewer restrictions on vehicle design.
Perhaps a limit on overall length, width, and height (all for safety reasons) and who cares about a weight limit, probably engine displacement (typically smaller for turbo and larger for normally aspirated), and some required safety features would perhaps lead to far more interesting design developments. Gas? Ethanol? Nitro-methane? Diesel? Why the limit? Let the teams decide.
Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, or case-hardened peanut butter for tires - again, let the teams decide as long as the tires are safe and don't fly apart at speed? If one team can figure out how to generate truly significant extra RPMs, torque, and HP out of a given displacement size limit, why should they be restricted in any other way? What about turbine engines (ala Andy Granatelli at Indy).
Except for VERY minute differences in aerodynamics (all but invisible to the vast majority of observers), the cars all look the same. Why limit electric motor or wing usage? If a team can figure out how to use them all the time, why penalize their genius?
Experimenting with new materials, new engine designs, new tires, new aero, etc. seems to me to create the opportunity for more competition and more advancements in automotive performance.

Ferrari would be the only team racing because they would blow everyone out of the water budget wise.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post