SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The problem with both Checo and Stroll is they're both pay drivers. The difference is that Carlos Slim doesn't own an F1 team while Stroll's daddy does (and possibly Aston Martin soon?). Neither one "earned" their way onto the grid on merit. In fact it's likely that Checo wouldn't have his seat if Force India/Racing Point didn't need the money since Esteban Ocon was outperforming Perez that year while Checo was trying to punt Ocon out of races.

quote:
Also, for clarification, Lewis signed with Merc in September 2012, while Merc was still making the V8, and raced for them in 2013, under the V8 engine. It was not until 2014 that the V6 Turbo Hybrid was released.

And finished the same place he finished in the McLaren: 4th. You can also say Mercedes finished ahead of Ferrari they didn't push to find the best 2nd driver in the field and just rehired Raikkonen because he did decent in the Lotus/Renault (I don't think Renault had retaken the team and weren't they having money issues as well?). Raikkonen is a good driver, but he's never overperformed a car like Alonso did/does.

The Mercedes purchase of Brawn GP, besides the McLaren issues, was presented to Mercedes by Norbert Haug as a way to stay in F1 while spending less in previous years. Ross Brawn's budgets were being rejected by the Mercedes board for being too expensive. It wasn't until Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff became active in the team and convinced Mercedes that "yes, we do need to spend more money" and pushed Brawn off to the sidelines that Chinstrap drove a V8 for one year and became the Megateam they've stayed ever since.

And while Ferrari has never been Eddie Jordan bad, once Enzo died, Ferrari spent more time fighting with itself than actually fighting other teams. When the Benetton team landed in 96, John Barnard was designing and building chassis in England and pretty much told Ferrari "here you go..." It wasn't until about 1999 that the best driver on the grid (Schumacher) got the best car on the grid (Ferrari), but once he broke his leg, it was game over for the WDC.

The main point I was making on Schui was he overperformed and helped developed the car until it was the best while Chinstrap was in a progressively worse McLaren after 2008 and goes to Mercedes after they fix 90% of their issues.

I think Vettel also has the same issue that Chinstrap does in that he can't develop of overperform a car that he has, except that he seems to fall apart more if he has a teammate that can pressure him or beat him. We saw it in Riccardo and we're seeing it in Leclerc. Unless he's willing to take a nice paycut or bring sponsors with him (which might be hard since he's acted like a bitter twat for the past several years) why any of the B-Teams should take a risk on him.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Unable to add a poll to an ongoing thread, so will just ask in poll format.

If you were Racing Point who would you rather put in your car for 2021 under what is presumably a 1-year contract?

Sebastian Vettel who might spin his scooter in pitlane

Nico Hulkenburg who apparently still has it.

George Russell for obvious reasons.

Some other player, realizing that paying for a old WDC is poor plan.

Georgeair since he's the raciest non-racer of all!

{Dwill beat me to my edit to add Russell}

Vettel, because he might regain his form with a change of scenery. Beating junior would be expected and wouldn't rock the boat.
Hulkenberg seems like a nice guy but isn't an upgrade from Perez. He might be bit faster in qualifying but can't seem to close the deal in the races. His time has passed.
Perez is second choice as has taken home the points when they were there. He also brings some sponsorship along.

Russell could easily show up Stroll, maybe mop the floor with him, and that isn't what Dad Stroll wants. The only benefit to the team is that Mercedes would be supportive.
Vettel's performance would be expected, so no surprise but Russell would make the atmosphere difficult.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The wishful thinking part of me thought pressure from Aston Martin might come to bear here, with them pumping in up to $200MM. However that's dashed once you dig in and find what looks like a 25% stake in AM by DaddyStroll.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...XrVYLTPR9pAio7k.html

quote:

Sergio Perez will make a return to Grand Prix racing with Racing Point at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix after testing negative for Covid-19…

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That was a less than exciting race. Even the midfield didn't have all that much action.
Ferrari is at a low point and there doesn't appear to be a way out for a while yet.
Lots of people showed promise before the start but only one really delivered the results.
Perez performance today vs Hulkenberg last week showed how average he really is.
Take out the last few cars and the first few cars and you'd really have something exciting.
Grosjean needs to park it before he hurts someone. I'm sure he's frustrated, but still.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was pretty snoozy.

Saw all 10 teams signed the Concorde Agreement, so at least that's settled until 2025. Or, until later this year when someone gets pissy....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hoping for a US view option outside F1TV

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZEIGw_54MIE

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...To9MOBOlHkmfGjo.html

quote:

It’s the dawn of a new era for Williams after the Formula 1 team announced they have been acquired by American investment firm Dorilton Capital…

The iconic British constructor, founded by Sir Frank Williams and Sir Patrick Head, said in May that they were embarking on a “new strategic direction”, and had begun talks with interested parties regarding a sale of a minority or majority stake in the company.

On Friday, nearly three months after they made that news public, the team said Dorilton Capital would be their new owners, marking “the beginning of an exciting new era in the history of Williams” with the team “now well positioned to capitalise upon the seeping rule changes coming into Formula 1 with the new Concorde Agreement” for 2021.

Importantly, the team said the private investment firm “recognises and appreciates the importance of respecting and retaining Williams’ heritage and culture and is committed to maintaining its identity”.

They added: “The team will continue to race and compete under the Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.”

The statement said the acquisition had “unanimous support from the Williams board, which includes Sir Frank Williams”.

Speaking on the day of the announcement, Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams said: “The Strategic Review was a useful process to go through and proved that both Formula One and Williams have credibility and value.

"We have now reached a conclusion and we are delighted that Dorilton are the new owners of the team. When we started this process, we wanted to find a partner who shared the same passion and values, who recognised the team’s potential and who could unlock its power. In Dorilton we know we have found exactly that.

“People who understand the sport and what it takes to be successful. People who respect the team’s legacy and will do everything to ensure it succeeds in the future. As a family we have always put our team first. Making the team successful again and protecting our people has been at the heart of this process from start.

“This may be the end of an era for Williams as a family owned team, but we know it is in good hands. The sale ensures the team’s survival but most importantly will provide a path to success.

"We are enormously grateful to Dorilton for the faith they have shown in our team and we look forward to working with them now. I would also like to thank the Williams Board and our advisers who have worked tirelessly over the past months to make this happen and our employees who have remained steadfastly loyal.”

Chairman of Dorilton Capital Matthew Savage said: “We are delighted to have invested in Williams and we are extremely excited by the prospects for the business. We believe we are the ideal partner for the company due to our flexible and patient investment style, which will allow the team to focus on its objective of returning to the front of the grid.

"We look forward to working with the Williams team in carrying out a detailed review of the business to determine in which areas new investment should be directed. We also recognise the world class facilities at Grove and confirm that there are no plans to relocate.”

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So I take it Claire will be gone in a year or two if they are carrying out a "detailed review."

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
So I take it Claire will be gone in a year or two if they are carrying out a "detailed review."

... And "Williams" within five years.

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
At least, in the short term, it'll remain Williams with a FW__ chassis. Will be a shame if they rename/rebrand the team.

Hard to imagine F1 without one of the historic teams (Ferrari, McLaren, Williams).

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The weird thing I've noticed about Williams is they're using the same driver steering wheel/monitor setup they've used for 15 years. Theirs are the only cars with a monitor mounted to the chassis instead of incorporated into the steering wheel. If they cutting corners to that degree, how much worse is it internally?

And thank GOD that Spa is only a week and a half away. I think the Styrian/Austria 2 has been the only decent race this year except for the last 4 laps of Silverstone 1.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The weird thing I've noticed about Williams is they're using the same driver steering wheel/monitor setup they've used for 15 years. Theirs are the only cars with a monitor mounted to the chassis instead of incorporated into the steering wheel. If they cutting corners to that degree, how much worse is it internally?

And thank GOD that Spa is only a week and a half away. I think the Styrian/Austria 2 has been the only decent race this year except for the last 4 laps of Silverstone 1.

If it ain't broke?
I imagine the screen-less wheel is significantly cheaper to manufacture. And, the driver doesn't have the screen rotating in their hand (not that I imagine they're looking at it mid-corner).
Smaller/lighter wheel, simpler assembly, less to break if a frustrated driver chucks it from the cockpit after a shunt.

Hopefully this $$ influx will boost their development. They've tailed off significantly after 2016 or so.
Massa/Bottas really made that car perform, then they got out-developed by the field & were saddled with rookie drivers in a less-competitive car.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dorilton Capital

All will be good as long as their CEO doesn't claim that he "loves" F1. Then they will suffer from one of two things; 'Steinbrenner Syndrome', where Dorilton management sticks their noses into literally everything, or 'Remingtonitus Diseasus', where the team's technical leaders will be axed when ownership will install their own form of leadership that curiously rhymes with the phrase "Freedom Group" that itself is only capable of one Charlie Foxtrot after another, to the point of financial insolvency.

Middle market investing my ass. There's nothing 'middle market' about F1. Financially all-in or just go home. Hard to see where Dorilton is going to make bank on this "investment", but whatever. At least Williams will see some needed infusion of cash, at least in the short term, before their money masters REALLY see how expensive a foray into a serious championship run is.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Holy yawnfest. Ferrari's downfall is amazing. I can't watch anymore, the only topic seems to be tire wear.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think the only good race we have upcoming is the Bahrain Outer Track and maybe Portugal. Pretty sure there's nothing else left to look forward to this year.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mugello? No one has any F1 experience there, so it's new for everyone.
Imola too, not much experience with it within the grid.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If that's true, then the F1 website is doing shit for all keeping track of upcoming races. I only knew of the Bahrain "Oval" from a press release a day or two ago.

Anyone got a full list of races left?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Iirc

Monza
Mugello
Sochi
Nurburgring
Portimao
Imola
Turkey
Bahrain
Bahrain
Abu Dhabi

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Another garbage race in a garbage season.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post