SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I know I've made mentions that while Chinstrap is a good driver, he is overrated, but those last two laps was prayer and perseverance. That was a huge gut check with Max going full speed with new tires.

Just another example of the phenomenal good luck Hamilton has had throughout his career. Two more corners of that lap and he would have been passed. Also an unfortunate call by RB in hindsight. They should have had Max put the hammer down after Bottas had his problem, not swing for fastest lap with a tire change.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Seems like Pirelli has some work to do.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

I think it’s the teams who have work to do, like not running their tires off because they’re scared to death of making a second stop. There is no rule that you only have to make one stop. How many laps did Merc let Bottas run with the vibration instead of calling him in? The teams need to make their cars work with the tires they are given. If they need to make two stops, so be it. It’s the same tires for everyone.

Unfortunately, Merc will probably whine, and when Merc whines, the FIA responds, like a few years ago when Merc were the main ones overheating their tires and Pirelli changed compounds mid season to fix it for them.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Unfortunately, Merc will probably whine, and when Merc whines, the FIA responds, like a few years ago when Merc were the main ones overheating their tires and Pirelli changed compounds mid season to fix it for them.

Thanks for the reminder, I knew I hadn't dreamed that. Mad

Just when I thought F1 couldn't irritate me more, today! Eek
I'm hard pressed to remember a more unlikely outcome than this. That couldn't happen?!

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

I think it’s the teams who have work to do, like not running their tires off because they’re scared to death of making a second stop. There is no rule that you only have to make one stop. How many laps did Merc let Bottas run with the vibration instead of calling him in? The teams need to make their cars work with the tires they are given. If they need to make two stops, so be it. It’s the same tires for everyone.

Seeing how McLaren, Red Bull, and Merc had a vibration issue, the tire issue is wider than one chassis. I instead seeing it as a team stupidity issue (running the ragged edge of tire duration), but will note than no one who had issues had their issues in the first several laps following a tire change. Keep in mind, they (Verstappen, Sainz, Bottas, and Hammy) pitted under caution on lap 14, meaning the tire failures happened some 34, 35 and 36 laps after the change.

Also, Sainz complained of vibrations on lap 46, Valteri on lap 46, Verstappen on lap 50 (but before pit entry) and Lewis on lap 50 (while on the Hanger Straight). Sainz's tire blew on the Hanger Straight on lap 51, Valteri blew on Lap 50, and Lewis blew on lap 51. Pitting Verstappen was brilliant by Red Bull because if he had blown early in the lap he would have been out of the points like Sainz. Not pitting Hamilton was quite stupid by Marc.

Honestly, I like that they can no run a single tire for the whole race, and that they degrade differently for every team.

Also, and this is more generalist in terms of F1 Fandom - I was so bored by lap 19, I put it on record and went and did woodworking for close to an hour. Lewis and Merc's dominance is exactly what turned me off in the early 2000's with Schumi and Ferrari, and for the first time in 12 years do not feel compelled to watch a race live.

I did smile when I read an interview from Grosean on his conversation with Hamilton where he implied Hamilton was being fascist by requiring drivers to comply and walk the line with his BLM bullshit.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Four races into the 2020. Chinstrap has a 30 point lead in the Drivers’ Championship and Mercedes Benz has a 67 point lead in the Constructors’ Championship. Anybody want to debate the outcome of the championships?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Four races into the 2020. Chinstrap has a 30 point lead in the Drivers’ Championship and Mercedes Benz has a 67 point lead in the Constructors’ Championship. Anybody want to debate the outcome of the championships?

I don’t think many people were really debating the outcome after the first race. Maybe even before that.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can say is Hamilton is one lucky guy. Had the tables been reversed, and Hamilton, not Bottas blown a tire where he did, we would be talking about Bottas having a 20 point lead. Bottas was very unlucky in where he blew his tire (about 200 yards past pit lane entrance.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's really made F1 unwatchable. Same team always winning, unless they take each other out.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
It's really made F1 unwatchable. Same team always winning, unless they take each other out.

100% agree

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

He and Hamilton have since kissed and made up. Safe to go back and dislike all his whining.
I think a few others renewed their dislike after the British GP. They can call him swerve or lurch now.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched yet, sounds like I should FF to end.

Don't want to drag us too far down this rabbit hole, but I had missed where the organizers worked protest timeline and guidance specifically into the protocol including some recommended gestures of support. I like the 6th bullet option.....

Link.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bottas signs with Mercedes for 2021

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...ly4Y3Z1l6dCVJjy.html

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Perez clear to race Silverstone II, pending negative Covid test

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...rMKDb41z3LfkHYy.html

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember Ferrari's 2000 to 2006 seasons? Schumacher was pretty dominant as well.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perez clear to race Silverstone II

I had seen a comment somewhere that the best part of Checo missing another race would be keeping PDR off the damn air.

Meanwhile:

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Does anyone remember Ferrari's 2000 to 2006 seasons? Schumacher was pretty dominant as well.

My recollection is that Schumi wasn’t the total and complete douche nozzle that Chinstrap is. I’ve got nothing against Mercedes Benz. I just really dislike Chinstrap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Perez clear to race Silverstone II

I had seen a comment somewhere that the best part of Checo missing another race would be keeping PDR off the damn air.

I think most people would rather listen to PDR than Crofty.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
F1 has become so boring and predictable that they are going to put themselves into the irrelevant column within a year.

It’s obvious that F1 isn’t about racing.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post