SIGforum
Formula 1 Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4930026714

March 06, 2019, 06:08 PM
280nosler
Formula 1 Discussion
Paddy Lowe of Williams quit the team this afternoon. Said he is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons. Glad he is gone, he has been an albatross everywhere he goes.
March 08, 2019, 02:27 PM
SIGnified
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Paddy Lowe of Williams quit the team this afternoon. Said he is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons. Glad he is gone, he has been an albatross everywhere he goes.

Williams looks like they’re screwed. Hopefully they survive this stuff.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
March 08, 2019, 03:15 PM
DanH
Maybe they shouldn't have fired Adam Parr because of a bitch fit with Bernie. It seems the only good years with Claire was the first 2 years after they got rid of him.
March 08, 2019, 06:08 PM
220-9er
Looks like the team has gone nowhere but down since Claire took over. All they seem to produce is corporate sounding excuses for a variety of failures.
I'm afraid that until someone else takes over nothing will change and it may already be too late.

March 11, 2019, 10:24 AM
P250UA5
4 more days!

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 11, 2019, 07:02 PM
SIGnified
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
New F1 Netflix movie looks interesting
preview:

https://youtu.be/OCMDH_at1_o [FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

These are really very good. Excellent! Almost better than the actual races.

The film in the editing really gives a good sense of the speed (much better in the race footage) and gives you insight to the behind the scenes interactions of teams and driver personalities. Again terrific stuff! Thank you for the suggestion.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
March 14, 2019, 12:00 AM
Ripley
Just saw this obit with no more info -- Charlie Whiting, 66, British motorsports director, FIA Formula 1 race director (since 1997), pulmonary embolism

RIP

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
March 14, 2019, 06:30 AM
280nosler
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Just saw this obit with no more info -- Charlie Whiting, 66, British motorsports director, FIA Formula 1 race director (since 1997), pulmonary embolism

RIP

I saw that too. He became the day to day face of F1, and will be sorely missed.

Since it was a pulmonary embolism, you have to wonder if the 17 hour flight from London was a contributing factor.

RIP Charlie

I only wonder who Seb will be bitching at now.
March 14, 2019, 07:19 AM
Georgeair
That's pretty unfortunate. And sobering - 66; sheesh.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

March 14, 2019, 08:24 AM
220-9er
Not a good way to start the new season. He seemed to do a good job and didn't care who he was dealing with, he treated them equally, unlike some above him.
The long flight couldn't have helped his medical situation. Lots of long flights and frequent travel are a big part of the job for anyone in Formula One.
He'll be a hard one to replace.

March 14, 2019, 09:02 AM
280nosler
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Lots of long flights and frequent travel are a big part of the job for anyone in Formula One.

London to Perth is the 3rd longest direct flight in the world, the 2nd longest single connecting flight listed. They jump off onto another flight for another 3+ hours to Melbourne. London and Sydney are literally the two largest metropolitan cities farthest away from each other, and only 80 miles further than London/Melbourne (going different directions). There are no trips longer on the F1 circuit, either race to race, or London to race location. The longer you are sitting still on a plane, the greater chance for embolism.
March 14, 2019, 10:19 AM
P250UA5
RIP Charlie

March 14, 2019, 11:37 AM
Georgeair
Goodbye Charlie, by Gary Hartstein

March 15, 2019, 08:10 AM
Ripley
FP2 Highlights **sigh**

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQlijoP0BU

March 15, 2019, 08:59 AM
Georgeair
quote:
FP2 Highlights **sigh**

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQlijoP0BU

Interesting, the player button shows it blocked from display externally, but the link still opens it in Youtube. Crafty....

March 15, 2019, 09:29 AM
valkyrie1
ugghhh,here we go again, so sick of Merc...
March 15, 2019, 09:43 AM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
ugghhh,here we go again, so sick of Merc...

From comments:

Overreaction time! Next year is our year, congratulations Mercedes!

March 15, 2019, 12:37 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Interesting, the player button shows it blocked from display externally, but the link still opens it in Youtube. Crafty....

Sorry, I didn't double check the posted vid. F1 is pretty quick in getting FP vids up and from what I read, people streaming FP's had problems. My cable ESPN's have no FP coverage, this was the best I could get. Good to know it's still viewable at YouTube.

March 15, 2019, 08:20 PM
P250UA5
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Sorry, I didn't double check the posted vid. F1 is pretty quick in getting FP vids up and from what I read, people streaming FP's had problems. My cable ESPN's have no FP coverage, this was the best I could get. Good to know it's still viewable at YouTube.

Looking at my DVR, it looks like FP was aired delayed from live by a few hours.

March 16, 2019, 12:00 AM
9mmepiphany
Qualifying in less than an hour on ESPN2

No, Daoism isn't a religion