SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Methinks he pissed himself if you look at how he was trying to dry off - all along the midsection.

I've always been under the impression that peeing oneself was part of the race driver job description, the options are limited when nature calls. Over the years I've heard many such references. This was one weird display, disturbing no doubt.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Methinks he pissed himself if you look at how he was trying to dry off - all along the midsection.

I've always been under the impression that peeing oneself was part of the race driver job description, the options are limited when nature calls. Over the years I've heard many such references. This was one weird display, disturbing no doubt.

In one of the 'grill the grid' bits, that question was posed to Hamilton & Bottas, both answered no to having 'gone to the toilet' in the car.

Wonder if Hammy needs the update that answer now?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15287 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Could also be rubbing those parts due to excessive battery heat.
The battery on most cars is under the seat area to keep it central and low due to the high weight of that component. I recall others getting burned in practice sessions. With the long straights and braking zones at Spa, the energy recovery system gets a real good workout charging and discharging each lap (160HP for 33 seconds a lap).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Enquiring minds want to know

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what I thought as well.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only did a couple endurance races in my short racing career (Daytona 6-Hour and Mid-Ohio), two-hour driving stints were the standard I think, but never had to piss in my Nomex.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only a couple days until we wade in to the red sea of Tifosi.

Monza is a track I'd love to see a live race

Posts: 15287 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A short discussion of Ferrari "tricks" Hammy referred to post-Spa --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5Lv8lD6Ok

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Amazing how strong an F1 car is, Ericsson went for a wild ride in FP2.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The Iceman cometh...

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang.

Daniel is out of the race again. Isn't that four out of the last six races?

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ferrari has to be wondering when things will turn around for them. They now have a car that is at least equal and likely better than the Mercedes but errors by Vettel or the team keep allowing Hamilton to steal the victory.
Hamilton has been doing a close to perfect job, grabbing each opportunity to lead by 30 points when he should be that much behind.
Vettel has to be perfect from this point onward and Hamilton needs to have some bad luck or make some errors to put Vettel back in the game.
If Vettel had just followed Lewis out onto the next straight he could have done what Kimi did when he lost the lead but the race would have been the two Ferraris against Lewis instead of the other way around.
The full course yellow was lucky for Ferrari because they could have easily cleared Hartley's car. That gave Ferrari a free pit stop and kept Seb close where he apparently was sleeping at the restart too.
Rumors are that they have already signed Leclerc for next year and I'm not sure I wouldn't want to have an option for a year on Fernando in case Vettel fails again to pull it off. I'm just starting to get the feeling that he isn't going to be Ferrari's answer without a bigger advantage.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know they're blaming the incident on Vettel, but it looked to me like Hamilton tried a pass that he shouldn't have. If you back up a few more seconds, you'll see him dive in, figuring on space becoming available, when it didn't.

The sort of move that Verstappen likes to make, but with even less skill.

I'll admit, again, to being an unrepentant Ferrari fan, and I see it from that perspective. The last few years, I've been massively disappointed in the overall drivers skill across the board in F-1, and Vettel may be slightly past his prime. I still want to see him win another championship.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It sure seemed the Mercs were easier on their tires, not sure a Ferrari win was in the cards. I see the incident as 50/50, one pinched in, one locked up, two hard heads.

It's amazing how often Hammy comes out on top of contact. Even holding one's ground seems to be a losing proposition, ask Rosberg, Massa, Vettel...

I hope this season can turn around for Ferrari, I am so sick of walk away championships. I'm gutted by today's result.

posted Hide Post
My interest in F-1 has waned the last few years, so I'm not sure of this, but haven't the Ferraris gotten better tire life this season than the other teams? At least they seem to, if they can keep out of slipstreams that destroy front tread.

Maybe the team will address today's wear problem.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Kimi pitted much earlier and had to drive hard to keep the gap to be ahead after Lewis pit stop. Then he drove close behind Bottas trying to pass. By the time Hamilton pitted, Kimi’s Tires were already well used.
The tire wear problem was using them too hard for too many laps.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Hamilton dogged Kimi for many laps yet ran seven or eight laps further on the first stint. FWIW Bottas ran way longer than any of the two top teams, a little or more behind Max. How did he not get by all race with a considerably faster car, DRS, with at least one prime point on track to pass?
How could Kimi, in a somewhat faster car, not gap Ham any more than he did?

FWIW worth, cold comfort knowing Little Lew Lew was very unhappy with the Tifosi, noting the hatred he felt from them. (sorry, didn't save the link to that report, maybe there will be more fallout from his pretty rash response).

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Kimi pitted when he did because Mercedes faked them that Lewis was coming in for tires. Lewis then stayed out eight more laps.
Ferrari had to cover both Mercedes cars with one car. That's what happens when you lose the other car at the front.
Like him or not, Lewis and Mercedes played a much smarter and error free game.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Like him or not, Lewis and Mercedes played a much smarter and error free game.

Probably Hamilton's most impressive win even with a lot of pieces falling into place for him.

For one, after his first stop, he came out well behind Kimi. He got to run a lot of laps out of dirty air. His newer tires suffered minimally as KR thrashed along behind Bottas running interference.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Hamilton dogged Kimi for many laps yet ran seven or eight laps further on the first stint. FWIW Bottas ran way longer than any of the two top teams, a little or more behind Max. How did he not get by all race with a considerably faster car, DRS, with at least one prime point on track to pass?
How could Kimi, in a somewhat faster car, not gap Ham any more than he did?

FWIW worth, cold comfort knowing Little Lew Lew was very unhappy with the Tifosi, noting the hatred he felt from them. (sorry, didn't save the link to that report, maybe there will be more fallout from his pretty rash response).

Two pair response -
A- Kimi and Ferrari shit the bed in their tire allocation. They only allocated 1 set for each car, so when they got to the track they didn't have a spare set to run on( it would have ben a race set), and having no experience with those tires, at that track, they didn't know the duration and operating temp it would last. Ferrari royally screwed that up. I mean I am not sure Kimi could have made a 3 more laps on those tires - they were peeling at the end.

B - Look the tifosi boo at everybody that does not wear red. For god's sake, they booed at Massa when he came back with Williams. I see it no differently if a podium holder calls out their poor sportsman ship and rubs it in their face. In all honestly, there are some drivers that some people love to hate. But when you are booing the people who won (what was a great race), it shows their character.

And for what it is worth, I screamed like a little girl when Vettel spun on the first lap. I looked at my wife and told her "I'd like to see the field finish just like this with Kimi on the top step. I think Kimi need s to give Ferrari the middle finger when he is fired at the end of the year. They have not had a better 1-2 in some time, they blame Kimi when poor strategy and the car lets him down, and don't fully appreciate him.

it is really too bad.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post