SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2019 Changes & 2021 Proposals

quote:
An increased fuel allowance and new rules on driver weight will be among the changes to Formula 1 racing next season, following positive and constructive discussions between F1 stakeholders in Paris on Tuesday.
The Formula 1 Strategy Group and the Formula 1 Commission met at the FIA’s French headquarters – FIA President Jean Todt and FI CEO Chase Carey were among those present – and agreed the following revisions to the F1 technical regulations for 2019.

- An increase in race fuel allowance from 105 to 110 kg. This will allow drivers to use the engine at full power at all times.

- Driver weight will now be considered separately to the car, meaning heavier drivers will no longer be disadvantaged.

- Drivers will be required to wear biometric gloves to increase safety and facilitate medical rescue.

Discussions will also continue regarding potential aerodynamic changes for next season, with a decision expected by the end of this month, once research being conducted by the FIA, in consultation with the teams, has been concluded.

Looking further ahead, the FIA presented its proposals for the 2021 power unit regulations, under which teams would continue to use 1.6 litre, V6 turbo hybrid engines, but with the MGU-H exhaust energy recovery system – one of the current unit’s most complex and costly elements – removed.

The FIA Technical Department will now meet with current and potential power unit manufacturers to discuss the proposals in more detail, with a view to finalising the 2021 regulations by the end of May.

All the proposed rule changes are subject to the approval of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
IndyCar PSA as I don't believe the series would find any traction in a separate thread.

Crackerjack race at Long Beach last weekend that could have been epic. Three races, three winners and next week my favorite IndyCar road course, Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Beautiful setting, nice elevation changes, a history of good racing, check it out. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Indy race

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Indycar probably has the best racing right now.
They aren’t as technically cool as F1 but you don’t get to see F1 cars up close enough to appreciate the sights.
They seem to be getting back to the CART days in terms of quality teams and drivers and ratings are finally trending up.
The opportunity to see one is much better too. Everyone should go see an oval in person as tv doesn’t do it justice. I have been more of a road racing type but seeing the raw speed is amazing.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Indycar probably has the best racing right now.
They aren’t as technically cool as F1 but you don’t get to see F1 cars up close enough to appreciate the sights.
They seem to be getting back to the CART days in terms of quality teams and drivers and ratings are finally trending up.
The opportunity to see one is much better too. Everyone should go see an oval in person as tv doesn’t do it justice. I have been more of a road racing type but seeing the raw speed is amazing.

I have not been able to watch much Indy due to scheduling and time, and rarely follow it online,

you are correct on seeing one live,

I went to the first few IRL races at RIR , and had pit passes,
for IRL that meant I could go anywhere in the pit area, and actually get close to the cars, as long as I did not touch,

and I am a Road Race preferred as well,

glad to hear the quality is returning, I loved CART when it was going strong , (Lil Al fan)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone should go see an oval in person as tv doesn’t do it justice.

Back in the day CART raced at Gateway in St. Louis, a short oval, pretty flat with one turn tighter than the other.

The first year you could stand in the walkway between the stands and the fence on the front straight. The cars went by on the outside wall, maybe three or four feet away at most. You'd feel the grit and crap they pulled behind them peppering you, it seemed wise not to linger. Hearing protection was a must. They wised up after that first year and kept people from standing on the walkway.

IndyCar will be back at Gateway this year. Smile

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The short ovals are great because you get up close and there is non-stop action all around. You can usually see the whole track and need more than one set of eyes to take it all in.
But then there is Indy and the incredible raw speed. Usually lots of tension in the air because of that and the perceived danger.
The museum is a must see too.
Back before the split it was always sold out and you had to wait to have the chance to buy a ticket of pay a high price from a scalper.
The series is getting back to the CART days. They should be sold out this year so now is the time if you want to have a chance.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Back before the split it was always sold out and you had to wait to have the chance to buy a ticket of pay a high price from a scalper.

Before they put seating on the inside of the turns, there was the Snake Pits. Five bucks to walk in, mad dash at dawn (up all night, three sheets to the wind) and stake your claim waiting an hour or more for the vehicles to make their way there. We always headed to Turn Two.

One year a couple of us hopped the fence, closer to the track than the fence. The first parade laps were unbelievable but when they went by at speed, I got outta there. VERY scary. Our gang is on the fence from frame right to about center (not including that guy in long pants and button shirt Roll Eyes ) It was hot!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What - no F1 this weekend??? Booooo.

On the prior driver front, I'd not seen this story develop w/r/t Reubeno. He was always one of our favorites, hope he's actually recovering as well as indicated.

Barrichello brain tumor

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation alert, bordering on tin hat stuff. Merc is dead set against proposed engine regulation changes. More than a few suggest they have turned the wick down this year to show how competitive F1 is with current regs. Last year looked that way too early on then magically, mid-season, Hammy wins four in a row.

There are even rumors Merc has helped Ferrari with their PU's. Eek

No links for any of this but one interesting thing to note is Hammy's low-key response to the team's, his own lack of expected performance. This is not the little Lew Lew I've come to know.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hardly any reason for panic at this point. Hamilton is only 9 points out of first right now and there are a number of races that favored their car last year. The next race is one of them.
He most likely would have won there last year but had the headrest problem.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The big fast European circuits with the long sweeping high speed turns will favor the longer wheelbase mercs. The point and squirt tracks the Ferrari may have an advantage with the shorter wheelbase.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It also makes me interested in how the McLaren chassis performs. Last year, it excelled on technical, low speed tracks, and the Renault is a better/reliable engine compared to the Honda. I'm wondering if their chassis/aero is favoring those tracks while they're having problems at high speed tracks because of excess drag.

Edit: My connection spazzed out, but I also found this headline that I found quite interesting:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...8/?v=2&s=1&q=mclaren

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that the team’s definitive 2018 Formula 1 car will make its debut Barcelona in May, and the clear hope is that it will help to address the team’s lack of qualifying pace.
Thus far, the team has run with what Boullier describes as evolution of last year’s Honda-powered car, and while it has proved strong in races, it has been lacking in speed over one lap and especially in straightline performance.

“The 2018 car is coming to Barcelona, and obviously we hope that’s the car we expect it to be,” he told Motorsport.com. “The car we have now, is as per plan, it’s not that we missed the [performance] targets with it.

“But we missed the schedule targets with it, which means the car we’ll have in Barcelona should have been in Australia.

"So we are running actually with an evolution of last year, and not the new car. And this car hopefully will be the one that we expect.”

Boullier admitted that having to contest the first four races with such an obvious restriction has been frustrating for the team.

“This is what it is. We knew this, and we just have to take the best we can.

"So far we have been opportunistic, and we took the opportunities we’ve had with both drivers to take as many points as we could.

“It’s just frustrating to see that we have such performance or pace in the race, and we are unable to unlock yet that performance in qualifying.”

Asked if he was excited by what the numbers suggested about the new package, Boullier said: “No expectations, no need.

"I’ve been long enough in F1 to know you just celebrate when you’re on the podium, or on top of the podium.”

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The big fast European circuits with the long sweeping high speed turns will favor the longer wheelbase mercs. The point and squirt tracks the Ferrari may have an advantage with the shorter wheelbase.

Ferrari lengthened their wheelbase this season.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I've liked McLaren for a long time, and Alonso is my favorite driver in this current era, but man, all that team does is make excuses. Five bucks says they get their clock cleaned in Barcelona and beyond, regardless of their 2018 car being there or not. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
"Anybody can have an off decade."
-- Larry Cole

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm also wondering how much of this was Ron Dennis' fault. Amazon Prime's "Grand Prix Driver" series covers the 2017 pre-season for McLaren. One of the big things I didn't know is McLaren hasn't had a title sponsor since 2013. It's calculated that it costs them $100 million a year ($500 million to date). That's a LARGE chunk of change to miss. They're also on a smaller budget this year ditching Honda and having to pay for Renault engines (and scored about the same points after 4 races vs 2015 and 2017).

They're not quite as bad off as Williams, but they are not a healthy team.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
quote:

Wow. That should make the big tracks interesting this year, unless merc is sandbagging.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
USGP tickets go on sale tomorrow!
We booked our hotel today. Debating on if we'll go with turn 9 tickets again, or change it up.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
quote:

Wow. That should make the big tracks interesting this year, unless merc is sandbagging.

However, now as of today or yesterday, Ferrari is under investigation because their exhaust sound in corners is apparently very different than everyone else's. Some think they have cleverly found away to change the mapping in corners to gain blown exhaust in the corners. SMH, oh and they are also looking into what the new small rotary dial is on Vettel's steering wheel. Ye t last season Merc was allowed to continue to burn oil but Ferrari had to change.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post