SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Nice Sunday drive, Max. Great job by team Red Bull too. Red Bull is now absolutely competitive with AMG-Merc. The last person Verstappen greeted after his victory appeared to be Japanese, and I made the assumption that he was a Honda rep. Honda said they would be all in for this, their last season. Shame that the RB team achieved this success and now they face the prospect of a new power plant next season.

I still can’t believe Hamilton finished 2nd.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shame that the RB team achieved this success and now they face the prospect of a new power plant next season.

Maybe not that bad, as I believe RB bought the Honda engine works and is planning to continue to make that piece for the next year after the engine "freeze" is in place. And beyond, though different spec I imagine.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something interesting to think about:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...des-upgrade/6343399/

Bottas crash damage could cost Mercedes F1 upgrade push
Toto Wolff says the costs incurred by the damage to Valtteri Bottas’s Formula 1 car following his crash with George Russell at Imola could cost Mercedes upgrades and impact development.

Luke Smith Apr 19, 2021, 3:08 AM

Bottas collided with Williams driver Russell while battling for ninth place in Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, resulting in a big crash that caused the race to be red flagged.

Bottas and Russell were quick to blame each other for causing the crash on the approach to Turn 2, but the stewards deemed it to be a racing incident.

Mercedes team boss Wolff was left to manage a collision between Bottas and Mercedes-linked junior Russell, feeling the latter had “lots to learn”.

But a more immediate issue for Mercedes is the impact the crash damage will have on its development plan for 2021 and the switch to 2022, given the expense incurred by the crash in the first year of F1’s new cost cap.

Asked by Motorsport.com how he would manage the situation, Wolff said the situation was “absolutely not amusing” for Mercedes, believing it could cost the team planned upgrades amid its battle with Red Bull.

“It’s quite a big shunt,” Wolff said. “Our car is almost a write-off in a cost-cap environment that is certainly not what we needed, and probably it’s going to limit upgrades that we’re able to do.

“And simply the fact that we ended there by losing it in the wet, because there was no contact, losing it on the wet, and making both cars crash out is not what I expect to see.

“We are very stretched on cost cap, and what we always feared is a total write-off of a car. This one is not going to be a total write-off, but almost, and that is not something we really wanted.”

Teams are limited to spend $145 million through the 2021 season under the cost cap, meaning any unexpected or unplanned crash damage costs bite harder than in previous years.

Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin said the team still had to complete a full analysis of the crash damage and what could be salvaged from Bottas’s car.

“It is extensive, and whether or not there’s any damage on the power unit side is one of the things that we need to check carefully,” Shovlin said.

“Because he didn’t finish the race, the gearbox isn’t a concern. But the new factor for us this year is that we’re all cost capped. This sort of damage isn’t really in the plan.

"Our drivers have been incredibly good at getting through seasons without breaking much in recent years, and certainly in terms of the bill in terms of carbon work and metal work will be very extensive from that.

“So we’ll go through and look at what we can actually salvage, and get the cars back together for Portimao. But it is quite a concern when you have these sort of incidents.”

Shovlin explained how teams were working on the basis that parts would complete their anticipated life cycle before breaking.

“If you have a series of these kind of large accidents that are doing significant damage - and this has been bad for us, because we’ve had a front wing with Lewis [Hamilton] as well - then that will definitely exceed our allocation for what we have available to spend on the parts,” Shovlin said.

“In an ideal world, you run them to life, you don’t break them, anything that you do break, hopefully it’s end of life or something that is about to be obsolete.

“But that is definitely not the case here. So it is really a factor of the cost cap, and the money has got to come from somewhere.

“Ultimately if it becomes a big problem, it can start to hit your development budget. So we do need to be mindful of that moving forward.”

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Something interesting to think about:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...des-upgrade/6343399/

Bottas crash damage could cost Mercedes F1 upgrade push
Toto Wolff says the costs incurred by the damage to Valtteri Bottas’s Formula 1 car following his crash with George Russell at Imola could cost Mercedes upgrades and impact development.

Luke Smith Apr 19, 2021, 3:08 AM

Bottas collided with Williams driver Russell while battling for ninth place in Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, resulting in a big crash that caused the race to be red flagged.

Bottas and Russell were quick to blame each other for causing the crash on the approach to Turn 2, but the stewards deemed it to be a racing incident.

Mercedes team boss Wolff was left to manage a collision between Bottas and Mercedes-linked junior Russell, feeling the latter had “lots to learn”.

But a more immediate issue for Mercedes is the impact the crash damage will have on its development plan for 2021 and the switch to 2022, given the expense incurred by the crash in the first year of F1’s new cost cap.

Asked by Motorsport.com how he would manage the situation, Wolff said the situation was “absolutely not amusing” for Mercedes, believing it could cost the team planned upgrades amid its battle with Red Bull.

“It’s quite a big shunt,” Wolff said. “Our car is almost a write-off in a cost-cap environment that is certainly not what we needed, and probably it’s going to limit upgrades that we’re able to do.

“And simply the fact that we ended there by losing it in the wet, because there was no contact, losing it on the wet, and making both cars crash out is not what I expect to see.

“We are very stretched on cost cap, and what we always feared is a total write-off of a car. This one is not going to be a total write-off, but almost, and that is not something we really wanted.”

Teams are limited to spend $145 million through the 2021 season under the cost cap, meaning any unexpected or unplanned crash damage costs bite harder than in previous years.

Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin said the team still had to complete a full analysis of the crash damage and what could be salvaged from Bottas’s car.

“It is extensive, and whether or not there’s any damage on the power unit side is one of the things that we need to check carefully,” Shovlin said.

“Because he didn’t finish the race, the gearbox isn’t a concern. But the new factor for us this year is that we’re all cost capped. This sort of damage isn’t really in the plan.

"Our drivers have been incredibly good at getting through seasons without breaking much in recent years, and certainly in terms of the bill in terms of carbon work and metal work will be very extensive from that.

“So we’ll go through and look at what we can actually salvage, and get the cars back together for Portimao. But it is quite a concern when you have these sort of incidents.”

Shovlin explained how teams were working on the basis that parts would complete their anticipated life cycle before breaking.

“If you have a series of these kind of large accidents that are doing significant damage - and this has been bad for us, because we’ve had a front wing with Lewis [Hamilton] as well - then that will definitely exceed our allocation for what we have available to spend on the parts,” Shovlin said.

“In an ideal world, you run them to life, you don’t break them, anything that you do break, hopefully it’s end of life or something that is about to be obsolete.

“But that is definitely not the case here. So it is really a factor of the cost cap, and the money has got to come from somewhere.

“Ultimately if it becomes a big problem, it can start to hit your development budget. So we do need to be mindful of that moving forward.”

Boo Hoo, Toto. While I’m sure it’s true, it’s the same for everyone this year. I’m betting by the end of the season there are teams that will spend as much, or more, of their cap than Merc repairing crash damage, and for many of the teams losing the development money will hurt them far more than Mercedes.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Williams car took a pretty good hit too and their budget is already a little light.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I finally managed to watch the race today. What a shit show.

I was giddy with excitement when Chinstrap went off the track and was left depressed when he ultimately came in second. I mean WTF.

Glad to see Max take it to Merc - I hope it’s the trend that happens all season.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was really rooting for Leclerc to hold on for a podium finish, but he just didn't have the car, or tires to do it. If that race had not been red flagged, chinstrap would have been out of the points for sure.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It is absolute bullshit teams can replace practically anything on a car during a red flag that isn't bolted down. Sure, you should be able to replace wings or body work if it's too dangerous to be on track, but a red flag is a stopped race, not an extravagant pitstop.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Miami 2022 F1

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^
Wonder how much they had to raise the ride height to work on sand.
Slowest RBR pit stop ever & that poor rear jack man.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Miami 2022 F1

I would love to go see that. But I am afraid a ticket will probably cost a million dollars.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Miami 2022 F1

I would love to go see that. But I am afraid a ticket will probably cost a million dollars.

It's been a couple years, but IIRC basic grandstand seats (turns 4 & 9) for COTA were around $3-400/person for 3-day tickets

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would much rather go see F1 at COTA or in Canada than go down to Miami for this. It’s going to be a massive cluster for spectators, I think.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
F-1 needs a financially sound venue in a major market area to build their audience.
COTA was somehow built with some major taxpayer assistance in an out of the way area for most people (with all due respect to our friends in Texas). The taxpayer money seems to have dried up and F1 is a tough sell there without that support.
I'm just glad they have a race back in the USA and hopefully can build on that.
I grew up on the F1 of the Watkins Glen days and the classic tracks and would like to see them stick more to those type of tracks, like they did last year. Times have changed and this looks like a good compromise that may have the financial backing needed.
This track, based on the video they showed, is a lot better than the last one that was proposed.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’ve a bit more faith. Buddy has been working this for Pro Player / Joe Robbie / Dolphins for a few years. My 1 and only concern is getting there and back (traffic) but they think they have this in hand...will see. Glad to see them add a new course, lots of South American and US fans will attend. Would like to see this extend to a few other races like IndyCar - Homestead is a bit south and out of the way.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^^ RE: The Glen

It doesn't currently hold Grade 1 status, so doesn't qualify to host F1.
Also read that they don't have the hotel accommodations close enough to support the F1 circus.

Mod on another board I'm on is related to one of the top guys at WG, so heard via him.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The revised Indy GP track is an FIA Grade 1 that can handle the people and the track now bypasses the banked turns. However, if Pirelli can build tires to do the Zandvoort banks, Indy should be fine.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Miami 2022 F1

Any excuse that gets us another dose of a V10 blasting down city streets, I am FINE with. Too bad it will only be this promo, not the race.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
F-1 needs a financially sound venue in a major market area to build their audience.
COTA was somehow built with some major taxpayer assistance in an out of the way area for most people (with all due respect to our friends in Texas). The taxpayer money seems to have dried up and F1 is a tough sell there without that support.
I'm just glad they have a race back in the USA and hopefully can build on that.
I grew up on the F1 of the Watkins Glen days and the classic tracks and would like to see them stick more to those type of tracks, like they did last year. Times have changed and this looks like a good compromise that may have the financial backing needed.
This track, based on the video they showed, is a lot better than the last one that was proposed.
Loved the Glenn and the Bog!!!!!

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Loved the Glen too and went there from ‘73-79.
The bog was something that drew you in but didn’t feel quite right. Still have some old snapshots of burning cars.
Lots of great experiences and memories, mostly good but the first two years had fatal accidents.
Walking through the garage with a $5 weekend pass and you could talk to anyone. Nothing like today.