SIGforum
Formula 1 Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4930026714

March 22, 2021, 09:05 PM
FlyingScot
Formula 1 Discussion
DRS has to be commanded by Driver as I understand. However, it is allowed only if 1 second or less within distance of car in front, and is only available in specific DRS zones determined primarily by safety. Essentially, semi-automatic but in qualifying they can use DRS (open rear wing) whenever they want to increase speed when rear down force is not needed and reduced drag helps. The best drivers are making a lot of adjustments every lap to eke out the best lap.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb
March 22, 2021, 09:31 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
DRS has to be commanded by Driver as I understand. However, it is allowed only if 1 second or less within distance of car in front, and is only available in specific DRS zones determined primarily by safety. Essentially, semi-automatic but in qualifying they can use DRS (open rear wing) whenever they want to increase speed when rear down force is not needed and reduced drag helps. The best drivers are making a lot of adjustments every lap to eke out the best lap.

I'm 99% sure DRS can only be used in the designated zones, regardless or session, FP/Q/Race, as you said, for safety. You wouldn't want DRS open going through 130R at Suzuka or Maggots/Beckets/Chapel at Silverstone.
In Preseason Testing it's unlimited & how Tsunoda put the AT really close to the RBR on the last day.

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 22, 2021, 10:37 PM
FlyingScot
In a race? Yes. In qualifying, practice, etc. - anywhere. Look at Tsunoda’s run classic example of a glory run.

-Scottish proverb
March 22, 2021, 10:42 PM
Dwill104
The one second rule for DRS only applies to the race. For FP and qualy, a driver can use it freely, but only in the designated zones. Prior to the 2013 season, it could be used anywhere, except during the actual race.
March 22, 2021, 10:47 PM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
In a race? Yes. In qualifying, practice, etc. - anywhere. Look at Tsunoda’s run classic example of a glory run.

Not in qualy or FP. This was testing, where the rules are different.
March 23, 2021, 06:48 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The one second rule for DRS only applies to the race. For FP and qualy, a driver can use it freely, but only in the designated zones. Prior to the 2013 season, it could be used anywhere, except during the actual race.

This is what I meant. Free to use, but only in the designated zones.

March 26, 2021, 07:05 AM
DanH
Free Practice 1 is going on right now at Bahrain.
March 26, 2021, 08:39 AM
P250UA5
2021 Bahrain GP FP1 Results

March 26, 2021, 08:40 AM
P250UA5
Not surprised to see the rookies (Schumacher, Mazepin, Tsunoda) at the bottom, but was a bit shocked to see the Alpine & Aston that far down.
We'll see how things shake out after FP2.

March 26, 2021, 09:09 AM
FlyingScot
Top after qualifying will be give us a better feel for where everyone sits. However, seems the high rake cars are having a challenge - for Mercedes they are still fighting at front but are showing mortal. Aston seems to have gotten a few things wrong and not sure they can recover back like Merc. Alpine, just do not have a lot of faith in Renault. For me the (happy) surprise is Ferrari. I frankly am not a Binotto fan, the team seemed to be in Chaos and a bit rudderless. But both Alfa and Ferrari are stepping up better than I expected which is good to see. Haas, going to pretend they are not there this year - going to be a repeat of complaints about the “dangerous” slow car being lapped in all the races from a few years back.

This season definitely has me interested much more than in the past, good to see.

-Scottish proverb
March 26, 2021, 01:05 PM
P250UA5
2021 Bahrain GP FP2 Results

March 26, 2021, 01:26 PM
220-9er
Quick observations.
I hope McLaren is as close as this would indicate but too early to say.
Only the first day but the Red Bull teammate gap is about where it has been the last two years.
Ocon and Stroll weren't that far off so I'd expect some overnight work to get Alonso and (hopefully) Vettel closer too.
Tsunoda looking good for his first day.

March 27, 2021, 11:34 AM
DanH
It looks to be a little like last season. Verstappen beat Hamster/Bottas to pole, Sergio Perez drove worse than Albon to score 11th, the Ferrari's are up in the Top 10 with Pierre Gasly, Lance Stroll, Fernando Alonso, and the McLarens.

No surprise that both Haas cars (leftovers from last year) are last with Mazepin embarrassing himself all through Q1. Yuki Tsunoda was probably the biggest surprise of the entire paddock. He's looking at a fantastic looking first race.

And crybaby has-been Sebastien Vettel couldn't make it out of Q1 while Stroll hit Q3. The newest Jacques Villeneuve starts 18th. Big Grin
March 27, 2021, 01:08 PM
AllenInAR
Just realized my F1 TV subscription only allows me to watch replays and I can't figure out how to upgrade.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
March 27, 2021, 02:47 PM
Dwill104
Hard to make any predictions with only one qualy in the bag, but there do seem to be some early trends.

Looks like Max may finally be able to take the fight to Hammy. The fight is going to clearly be between Merc and RBR.

Very tight best of the rest with Ferrari, McLaren, and Alpha Tauri looking strong. AT is a big surprise. Speaking of Ferrari, Sainz was beating Leclerc in Q1 and Q2, but dropped of in Q3. Maybe floor damage? In any case, I think Leclerc may have his hands full this season, and may not handle that well.

Williams still a dumpster fire, but now Haas is even worse. Aside from the car they aren’t spending money on, Maze-spin isn’t impressive. Guess the money he brings makes it worthwhile. Feel sorry for Mick Schumacher stuck in the bottom of the barrel team. Expect next year he’ll move up to Alfa.

Don’t know what to say about Vettel. He did get caught out by yellow flags, but still has been unimpressive so far. Getting....beat....by.....Lance Stroll.
March 27, 2021, 03:43 PM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Just realized my F1 TV subscription only allows me to watch replays and I can't figure out how to upgrade.

If you can get ESPN 2, you get most of the Sky TV feed for free.
This weekend it's FP3, Qualifying and the race. Other weeks it ESPN 3 or ESPN and a combination.
For some reason this year, they have FP1&2 on something called ESPNU that is on some streaming services.

March 27, 2021, 03:48 PM
DanH
I'm not too surprised by AlphaTauri. We've known they've had top notch drivers and an easy to drive car that makes people look better than the Red Bull 2 driver. Tsunoda made mention that the tires in Q2 lost grip compared to Q1, but I can't be too hard on a rookie in a mid-pack team that barely misses Q3 on his debut race when both Mercs, Ferraris, McLarens, and a 2-Time World Champion who's ass makes every car 1 sec faster seems overkill.

Sainz had a butt clincher in Q1 when his engine shut off:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...r-q1-glitch/5941130/

He's still getting use to the car to get the last tenth out of it. I think him and Leclerc will get along fine IF the competition stays on the track. Both guys don't seem to have a problem being outraced by teammates as long as there's no garage politicking or their teammate intentionally runs into them.

I think Gene Haas is more than happy to take as much money as he can in order to limp into the Budget Cap Era. All Mick has to do is embarrass Maze-spin and he'll be fine. He was almost 1 second faster in Q1 and only a half second slower than Vettel.

As far as Vettel, only he can pull his head out of his own ass and stop believing his own hype. Stroll was about .5 seconds quicker than Vettel in almost every session, and while he's not the fastest learner, he is learning and he's more of a threat than a joke.
March 27, 2021, 05:33 PM
FlyingScot
Looked good, Alonso dragged the Alpine into Q3 and that was all Alonso. Race Pace tomorrow will be interesting to see - supposedly Merc has .3 seconds on Red Bull loaded and race simulation. Love to see Ferrari and McLaren up there, and lots of respect for Gasly and Tsunoda...going to be fun.

I think Aston is out of the early running, and we’ll see what happens with Vettel. Been sad to see.

-Scottish proverb
March 27, 2021, 06:30 PM
220-9er
Vettel just needs to stay out of trouble and beat Stroll tomorrow. Anything better is a bonus. The car can't be that bad if Stroll was top 10 and you'd expect Vettel to have a few more tenths in hand or it will be a long (and last) season. Without the yellows he'd probably have been in Q3 at least as the track was getting quicker.
Red Bull still lacks a second car to help split up the Merc's. Now there are others that have enough speed to make the timing of the first stop more complex. That may work for or against Max tomorrow.
Hope the Ferrari's and McLaren's have good race pace too keep the heat on.
Red Bull Jr. team performing well. If they can improve any they will be a real threat at some point.
The Haas cars were expected to be at the back but the mad Russian needs to not cause so many yellow flags or he'll get old real quick. This isn't racing kindergarten and there are other rich fathers who's kids act a lot more responsibly in all ways.

March 28, 2021, 11:06 AM
.38supersig
Looks like Boob Dude is only good for 2 1/2 turns. Confused