SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Crown -- Seasons 3 on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Crown -- Seasons 3 on Netflix Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Anyone watching? I'm about 4 episodes in. Still enjoying it, but I do find it a little more boring than the first 2 seasons. I like the actor playing Philip better now, but definitely miss Claire Foy as the Queen. Still, it's a very well done show.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have only watched E1 so far.

Tobias Menzies is from Outlander, good so far from 1 episode.
I also recall the lady cast as Elizabeth from Hot Fuzz and The Night Manager. Again, good so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I cannot explain my fascination with this show. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Have only watched E1 so far.

Tobias Menzies is from Outlander, good so far from 1 episode.
I also recall the lady cast as Elizabeth from Hot Fuzz and The Night Manager. Again, good so far.

he was also in Rome and a handful of other shows,

Olivia Colman, (plays the Queen) has also been in a bunch of UK shows, and was excellent in Broadchurch

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Definitely a lot slower pace than the first two seasons but still very watchable and entertaining. There's a lot happening though, and a few historical things I was not aware. I'll leave it there so as not to spoil

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of reading after the Aberfan episode. Geez... Frown

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I did a lot of reading after the Aberfan episode. Geez... Frown

Most of my family is from Fayette County, WV. Thought I knew a few things about coal mining, but I learned quite a bit after that episode!

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
It is a very different show now. I was ready to not like it, I loved the first 2 seasons. Which is funny, because I'm not a very big fan of that region or people. To put it mildly.

I was unsure about Olivia Colman in the role, and wasn't ready to let go of Ms. Foy. I still struggle to like Tobias Menzies after the first 2 seasons of Outlander...which is a testament to his acting skills I suppose. I just can't picture him outside of that horrendous character.

I'm up to episode 9, and I'm still quite pleased. Much about the flow and character of the show is very different, and without minimizing how much I liked the first 2 seasons...I'm very much enjoying the third.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
My wife and and I are enjoying it. We are about half way through. I still prefer the actresses playing the younger queen and her sister, but the show itself seems as good as ever. (Yes I know who all the actresses are and am familiar with their work. Just personal preference)

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
My wife and and I are enjoying it. We are about half way through. I still prefer the actresses playing the younger queen and her sister, but the show itself seems as good as ever. (Yes I know who all the actresses are and am familiar with their work. Just personal preference)

People age. I guess they could have done it with make up and such, but little ticks in the personality also change as they age. I think it's well done. As I mentioned earlier, not the same pace, but still some compelling drama that is at least somewhat true to history. I'm pacing myself on it, watching one episode at a sitting. At my age, I tend to nod out even when things on the screen are compelling. Getting old sucks big time, and I think our queen protagonist is feeling that as well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Olivia Colman is a British national treasure & actresses don’t get any better than her...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
she was excellent in Broadchurch

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Olivia Colman is a British national treasure & actresses don’t get any better than her...

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Call Sign
RIOT ACT
Picture of Mischa
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think I’d enjoy the new season as much as those previous. I find myself pulled into the drama. Very enjoyable.

Posts: 349 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A very enjoyable series. I liked the first two seasons and so did Mrs Pulicords, but I think this one is even better. Showing the humanity and shortcomings of the royal family is quite enlightening. Seeing the backstory on Prince Charles and Camilla Parker really puts a different spin on his problems with Diana. Definitely a "must watch" on Netflix!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Excellent show. Well done.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Yes she is very good. We blazed through season three on Sunday.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I just realized I haven't seen S2 - so I'm catching up. Claire Foy is the reason I watch this ( Wolf Hall (2015), First Man (2018), Unsane (2018)).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Anyone watching? I'm about 4 episodes in. Still enjoying it, but I do find it a little more boring than the first 2 seasons. I like the actor playing Philip better now, but definitely miss Claire Foy as the Queen. Still, it's a very well done show.

I just started watching this weekend and agree with you. I’ve watched 3 episodes, but still can’t get used to Claire Foy turning into Olivia Colman.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My wife loves it so its on a lot (including right now.) Makes me like them and the entire notion of royalty even less.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm sure looking forward to the next season and all it should be exploring...Princess Diana, Prince Andrew, etc.... Should be very interesting!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post