SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
They're a good person and I love them to death, but................................

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Got to get back to my rat killin'

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Got to get back to my rat killin'

I responded similarly during my whole career to the usual, "What are you up to?" type question at work. Have no idea where I first heard it--I moved around a bit.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am gonna tie a knot in your tail.

She thinks she is all that and a bag of popcorn.

He don't know me from Adam's housecat.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
World goes to Hell, I can always go out back, carve myself a wooden beak and peck shit with the chickens.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am gonna tie a knot in your tail.

She thinks she is all that and a bag of popcorn.

He don't know me from Adam's housecat.

Reminded me of another one: Don't know me from Adam's off ox.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Tighter than a bull's ass at fly time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sailor1911,

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Knee walkin' drunk is a favorite here. Along with makin' groceries. Also fixin to go by yo Momma's and them.

Commode hugin drunk
Calling dinosaurs
Naming autos
How's your momenem

NRA
Georgia Carry

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine from Kansas would always say "sweatin' like Porky Pig on slaughter day"

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Couldn't count his balls and get the same number twice.

Sweatin' like Leon Spinks at a spellin' bee.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys got some good ones there. Aphorisms are great. These things really paint a picture.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Don't know what region these are from, but I call them Iowaisms because I learned most of them from a friend who went to the Univ of Iowa:

- He's so scared, he's shakin' like a dog shittin' butcher knives

- Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

- He couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel

- He's so dumb you could sell him dirt

- He could sell snow to an Eskimo

- He's like a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is two cans short of a sixpack.

posted Hide Post
So ugly, she'd make a train take a dirt road.

"Each to his own", said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Posts: 990 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
That boy is so damn clumsy, he couldn't hit his own ass with both hands.

He's three cards shy of a full house.

That girl is stacked like a brick shit house.

She's prettier than a mountain morning in paradise.

I grew up in NW Montana, a logging and mining area. I won't repeat the more colorful sayings.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trust me, I am a
Professional Engineer.
Picture of RespectTheAmish
posted Hide Post
Hell even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in awhile...

Posts: 482 | Location: Wish I was in Indy | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Sometimes a hog stumbling around in the woods does better. {My stockbroker from Clarksdale, Mississippi used this phrase to explain why a portfolio run by someone who was not a skilled investment counselor, outperformed my brokerage account.}

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Heard this on Fargo. Don't know if it's regional, hope it is, but it's stolen regardless.

Unfathomable pinheadery

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okey Dokey You betcha.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Oofta.

Lived in MN for 15 years, always saw that spelled

Uff da. ...

During the earlier days of the internets for me, 1994 or so, I saw "uff da" or "unf da" but I never heard it spoken aloud and I surely have no idea what it means.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post