SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pat Metheny Group in Vancouver, BC ... errrr Portland, OR (w/ Antonio Sanchez)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pat Metheny Group in Vancouver, BC ... errrr Portland, OR (w/ Antonio Sanchez) Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
SAT 10/20 FRI 10/19 (see post below)

Anyone else headed that way? He’s been on a N.A. Tour these last months. stoked!

Bucket list stuff for me. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
No, but I wish I was!

The Pat Matheny Group are phenomenal musicians.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I sure wish that I could. I love Pat Metheny. I sure wish I could have see him when he toured with Joni Mitchell!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I sure wish that I could. I love Pat Metheny. I sure wish I could have see him when he toured with Joni Mitchell!

Me too! And Jaco too!

But I did see him play with Miles Davis. Not with him, but believe it or not, Miles opened for Pat Metheny. This was on the Boston Common somewhere around 1981....

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
He won my high school talent show. I saw him in perform in about 1970. I asked him what the hell he was doing when was arraigning music home room.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
He won my high school talent show. I saw him in perform in about 1970. I asked him what the hell he was doing when was arraigning music home room.

Pretty neat story; I only got Ted Nuggent ... while it was cool at the time (parochial HS), he’s no PMG.

Glad to see other fans here! I first heard of PMG in ~1979, trying out records at the local public library.

Antonio Sanchez is a true master drummer/artist as well; all that brass!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
This piece “The Way Up” is iirc circa 2000. I owned the early blu-Ray and my children and I grew up with it being a key, memorable piece of music. This is only the 30 minute beginning of a 90 minute opus.

https://youtu.be/HHceeuZz77Y

~Robert A. Heinlein

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am unfortunately on the wrong side of the country. Mad

I bet it will be an awesome show. I hope to cathch a Pat Metheny concert someday.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Liked him a whole lot, but for his free jazz stuff.
Saw him twice. Once in Brussels when he had Pedro Aznar in his group as vocalist - percussionist and also with Chick Corea and others at the last (special) night of a Live under the Sky '87 jazz festival in Tokyo.
That night was really special, they had some performers of the previous nights and groups perform in an incredible mix and match sessions.

Lost track of his work around 2000. Should get back into it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
This piece “The Way Up” is iirc circa 2000. I owned the early blu-Ray and my children and I grew up with it being a key, memorable piece of music. This is only the 30 minute beginning of a 90 minute opus.

https://youtu.be/HHceeuZz77Y

That is excellent

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Been of fan of the Pat Metheny, since the late seventies. When I first heard him featured on a local FM jazz-format. Then a rapid purchase of his ECM 'white' self-titled album PMG (1978) then the follow-ups: Offramp (1981) and The First Circle (1984). I always like his sound on The Last Train Home.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Yeah, legendary touring band, almost one-of-a-kind. Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, etc. I've seen the video Shadows & Light a bunch of times documenting one of the concerts. Not a real showcase for Metheny, but he does have a solo moment, same with Jaco.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
video Shadows & Light

In what I've seen of that, I was pretty disappointed. Too much "created" video and not enough live concert video.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
What a show ... A 9 foot, full grand piano, acoustic upright bass, Antonio doing his thing (one of the best drummers in the world today) and of course Pat Metheny playing four different guitars (a 42 string acoustic (below) to start solo, an archtop with the piezo and bridge pickup (treble way down) into a Kemper, and his solid body electric for playing the classic GTR-300 and finally something that look like a Godin nylon acoustic with piezos in the bridge - again, Kemper).

I found a video clip of the guitar he used. No cell phones or cameras allowed during the show.

The 42-string Picasso guitar! The bizarre instrument, which was built for jazz god Pat Metheny about 30 years ago by luthier Linda Manzer, was inspired by the cubist paintings of its well-known-painter namesake (as in Pablo Picasso).

Super nice that it wasn’t a silent stage, which has become so popular. Mostly amplified acoustic.

Truly an amazing night. Funny enough our tickets in Vancouver were never processed correctly by the vendor. All of our plans nearly trashed. Frown

So we scrambled Friday buying the last 3 tickets, make the run down I-5 to get down to Portland, OR where we had a 300 seat venue and seats up front, only 4 rows back on the right side. Big Grin

10 yards from Antonio Sanchez (Phenomenal). Great seats as Pat Metheny tended to face our side.

Pat Metheny at some point in the first third made a comment that it was really fun to do something something different for a tour versus producing an album, promoting that by only playing that new music. This tour/concert, they were reaching back across all the decades of music, playing old favorites with a lot of improvisation. Although incredible, it seemed far too short. Wink

The show went for 2 1/2 hours with two encores; they went on to Vancouver BC then to Bremerton Washington. This is the end of the tour that started somewhere in Europe back in July. The crowd was really active and all the 4 artists on stage were truly engaging. Near the end, Pat duo'ed with each artist individually, e.g. Pat and Bass, Pat and Piano, Pat and Antonio. Did I mention just how dynamic and precise Mr. Sanchez was? (Best I've ever seen, and I saw Buddy Rich when he was olde.)

Lots of old dudes and ladies all head-bobbing, foot tapping, leg-jammin’ and rocking back-and-forth in your chair. Smile A robust and active crowd - hey it’s jazz and all were having a great time!

Because our plans changed so much from Vancouver to Portland, there was a lot of spontaneity going on which made for a fantastic 24 hours. That is a show I’ll never forget. Amazing night with a best/top 5 dinner (Roe on Broadway). Finished up SAT morning by walking the Portland Japanese Garden in full Fall colors. Perfection by accident/luck/the Divine Creator!

If you live somewhere in the US where they might end up (I think they are headed to Sacramento) - try to catch it. Unforgettable.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
I was supposed to see him in the early 2000's, but my companion had to cancel at the last moment. I stood outside the venue (Mondavi Center at UC Davis) and sold my front row balcony tickets.

Now you've mentioned it, I looked - he played in Sacramento earlier THIS evening!! I missed again.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ Next up, tour goes to Oakland, CA, Los Angeles, CA and Santa Barbara, CA.

Then it’s over.

~Robert A. Heinlein

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Saw him in the early nineties as I recall - pretty good - have many of his LP's/CD's. Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post