SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Favorite Author, Jack Carr
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Favorite Author, Jack Carr Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Searched for a topic on this author and his book and found none. Jack Carr is an ex-Navy SEAL who published his first novel, “The Terminal List” in 2018. It’s about a SEAL team officer who finds himself in a conspiracy that lead to the deaths of his Team and his wife and daughter. Pure revenge plot.

His second book is out in hardcover, “True Believer.” It continues the story of SEAL, John Reece. I’m about a third of the way through it and I think it’s much better than the first.

Daniel Silva has been my go-to author for military/spy thrillers since Vince Flynn passed. Carr may well be in that same realm.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TMats,
Daniel Silva and Vince Flynn fan here - if you like " modern westerns " I would reccomend C J Box's Joe Pickett series . Excellent plotting and characters .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bernborough2000:
TMats,
Daniel Silva and Vince Flynn fan here - if you like " modern westerns " I would reccomend C J Box's Joe Pickett series . Excellent plotting and characters .
best .

Thanks, friend; you can see that I live in Wyoming, right?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The Terminal List is a great book. If True Believer is even better I really need to go find a copy of it.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
The Terminal List is a great book. If True Believer is even better I really need to go find a copy of it.

SIG pistols prominently featured and Bruce Gray gets a mention too

posted Hide Post
TMats
I did not notice it mate but now I get it - have you read " I Pilgrim " by Terry Hayes ? I have read it 3 times - scary as hell and seems feasible . Also a great read the John Sandford series about Lucas Davenport and that F-NNN Flowers and of course the Jack Reacher series .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have read “I Am Pilgrim,” it’s been awhile. Haven’t read Sanford, I read quite a lot of non-fiction. Don’t know what you mean by “that F-NNN Flowers.” I’ve read quite a few of the Reacher books. I find Child kind of uneven as a writer. I’ll read one that I think is great and the next is mediocre. I will say that I believe Brad Thor has been steadily improving in his writing, i know I’m two or three books behind on him too. We try

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's a series (James Reece). Savage Son being book 3 with an April 14 2020 release.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just picked up The Terminal List from the Library of Congress, along with two other holds. It is the second book up on my reading plans, after the latest Ace Atkins/Spenser novel. I had never heard of Jack Carr, held the book based on this thread.

If you liked Robert Parker's Spenser character, I highly recommend the series continuation by Ace Atkins. He is the only author picked to replace a deceased author that has really nailed the original characters.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
TMats

John Sanford spun off a character from his "Prey" series of novels to follow "Virgil Flowers".

Both are great series.

Virgil is referred to as "that fuckin' Flowers" by other characters in the series.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Daniel Silva has been my go-to author for military/spy thrillers since Vince Flynn passed. Carr may well be in that same realm.

I just finished The Terminal List, and enjoyed every page. He is an excellent author and I have his next two books already on hold at our local library system. Silva is also a favorite of mine, perhaps my most favorite. I think Carr and Silva may be in the same realm as far as telling a good story, but Silva has much more intricate plots, with less page-after-page action. Somehow Allon appeals to me more. He's only 5'7", weighing 150 lbs, but is equally as dangerous as Reese with or without a weapon. Plus, there's the backstory of Allon and his variety of supporting players.

I am definitely looking forward to Carr's next two novels.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I just finished The Terminal List, and enjoyed every page. He is an excellent author and I have his next two books already on hold at our local library system. Silva is also a favorite of mine, perhaps my most favorite. I think Carr and Silva may be in the same realm as far as telling a good story, but Silva has much more intricate plots, with less page-after-page action. Somehow Allon appeals to me more. He's only 5'7", weighing 150 lbs, but is equally as dangerous as Reese with or without a weapon. Plus, there's the backstory of Allon and his variety of supporting players.

I am definitely looking forward to Carr's next two novels.

You ripped right through that first book, didn’t you. I’m still reading “True Believer,” but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I do believe it’s even better than the first.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up - I've been on a fairly long run of non-fiction and was looking for something when I finish my current read - "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy"...Which is really good, by the way.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Thanks for the heads up - I've been on a fairly long run of non-fiction and was looking for something when I finish my current read - "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy"...Which is really good, by the way.

Actually, I’ve read that book, and agree, it IS really good.

Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I’m bringing this thread back as Carr has recently released the 3rd book Savage Son. Carr continues to evolve the James Reese character and dives into some of the darker side of man.

Carr’s attention to detail in all of his books is impressive. When listening to him speak on various podcasts the one thing he always mentions is his attention to detail on gear is driven by him being gear focused in the past. That and not wanting time get ribbed by his former teammates for being inaccurate about the gear and movement he describes in the books.

Savage Son was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did feel as though the ending chapters when Reese finished his mission felt slightly rushed and he basically fast forward a few months but I also understand why he did so. Either way if you haven’t I recommend picking it up and giving it a go.

Personally I can’t wait for the 4th book to drop next summer.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98XJRC:
I’m bringing this thread back as Carr has recently released the 3rd book Savage Son.

I've read the first two, and enjoyed them thoroughly. I am on the waiting/hold list for Savage Son at my local library. Now #2 on the list, so it shouldn't be long.

When in doubt, mumble

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

SIG pistols prominently featured and Bruce Gray gets a mention too

That's the only one I've read to date, enjoyable, will have to pick up this latest one.

He's been on Rogan a few times, most recently last month, he's got some other stuff in the works.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I read “Savage Son” a few weeks ago. I didn’t like it quite a well as the first two books. That said, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from continuing the series; Carr is still as good or better than most in the genre. I don’t discount the fact that others will have differing opinions as well, some may like this one best of the three.
T

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Finished The Terminal List - it was good. I have True Believer lined up ready to go.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I got all three books off Amazon about a month ago when you could still find The Terminal List in stock. Half way through The Terminal List and the pages started to get cut off had to send I back now just waiting for them to print more copies of it. Guess I could always get a digital copy but I prefer a hard copy.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post