SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Naval History Enthusiasts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Naval History Enthusiasts Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I know we have a bunch who follow naval history here. I have recently found a YouTube channel named Drachinifel that is among the best for interesting, fact based information on a wide range of subjects.

The 3 part Jutland series is particularly good:

Clash of the Titans - Part 1

Clash of the Titans Part 2

Clash of the Titans - Part 3

I have studied Jutland on and off since I was a teenager, and have a pretty good grasp of the battle. His analysis is spot on with the primary and secondary sources I have read. In addition, he had access to imagery that I had never seen before.

His presentations are clear, to the point and well edited.

I strongly recommend reviewing his offerings if naval history and operations is your thing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice, love reading and learning about old warships.

Here's a link to the Channel page for Drachinfel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Drachinifel

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
When I first reported onboard a fast attack submarine the Captain was fond of screening "Victory At Sea" episodes.
If you didn't know any war history it didn't take long to pick it up...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Artie, I just watched Part I.
I’ve read quite a few books on naval history of WW II, but admit to knowing nothing about the Battle of Jutland.
There’s tons of stuff on the internet and video channels, but a specific reference by a trusted source is always the best, so thanks.
I look forward to watching Parts II and III.

Finished watching all three parts, learned a lot.

There’s a documentary on Jutland on Amazon Prime, has the usual good and bad sides. You’ll learn much less about the battle than in the above series, but some hands-on stuff that’s good to see.
Did you know the only surviving dreadnought-class battleship from WW I is the USS Texas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post