SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What are you doing instead of watching/reading the news while we wait in agony?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you doing instead of watching/reading the news while we wait in agony? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I have stopped watching Fox; I’ve even stopped watching Tucker. I don’t want to know whether Sidney Powell is whacko or not. I have given lots of money to Trump, Perdue, and that rich blond.
Now I don’t want to think about it any more.

I’ve finished two Stephen Hunter books, or maybe three. I’ve watched another season of Vera on the BritBox channel.

And now, I’ve done something I thought I would never do. I’m reading P.G. Wodehouse. You know, Bertie and Jeeves? Where nothing consequential happens ever, but Real Life is scoffed at? Nineteen-thirties escapism.

Right now everything else reminds me of the situation I can’t think about.

How about you?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just going on with life as normal.
Hate to see this outcome but clearly it was possible. I stopped watching most TV a few years ago anyway. Most of it is just opinion today anyway, no real news that you can't find elsewhere.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm rereading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series in order; currently on #5 (Desolation Island). Also listening to Mahler's symphonies.

I'm not listening to any news.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I hear you, Doc. I've been reading a lot and carving some little people - a new hobby. I shy away from the news, both online and live. I can't stand network TV anymore and can only watch so many HGTV fixer-upper shows.

We're headed south presently. Maybe some beach time will help.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I have been watching old classics that I've never seen because they were before my time.

I'm also watching Game of Thrones and Chernobyl.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a HUGE movie and TV library so there is that.

I have been shooting my airguns a TON. I am blessed to have both gotten into airguns many years ago and having had the means to build up a very nice assortment of very nice airguns. Honestly I prefer them 90% of the time to .22LR.

I have been doing far more dry fire of my real guns. Honestly this has been good as it has gotten me to dry fire more as well as work out with some of my less used guns.

Cooking. I have spent more time cooking and also learning our new Kamado Joe.

Playing my back log of video games or replaying those that I love.

I generally check the news/politics etc about once a week or two. Usually on a monday. Between then I will sometimes see my wife reading the news and I will sometimes ask...”still shitty?” She will say yes and I move on.

And bourbon. Did I mention bourbon. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're headed south presently

You can tell where my head is at as when I read that I thought. “Jesus, ain’t that the truth.” Not even thinking it could mean you were simply traveling South. Smile. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We got a travel trailer and will be camping at least once a month to disconnect and spend time together. I know I will blink and my kiddo will be going off to college.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'm going ahead with activities as normal - just not watching any news at all. I've gotten good at turning on the local news at just the right time for the detailed weather forecast - not that NH has hot Mexican weather girls.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve quit reading “news” too.

I’m relearning SNOBOL4, an ancient, nearly forgotten, but wonderfully useful, computer programming language that I last used in my engineering career 30+ years ago. I have it on my MacBook now.

I expected to like P. G. Wodehouse – he was a pal of Rex Stout, one of my favorite authors (the Nero Wolfe detective stories). But I gave up on “Right Ho, Jeeves” about a quarter of the way through it. It’s still on my Kindle – might give it another go.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I mostly quit watching TV news a few months ago. All they have to talk about is politics, riots and Covid, and I got fed up with the lefty bias in everything. I get most of my news on the radio when the alarm goes off in the morning, and the rest right here. I do watch the 8 or 9PM news on the local Fox station sometimes, mostly for the cute weather girl.

The gun club I belong to has stayed open all through the Covid crap, although they did restrict hours and ban guests for a while, so I spend some time out there. I'm working up an accuracy load for one of my AR's, and I'm having one of my bolt guns' barrel shortened and threaded to take a can so I'll probably have to tweak that load a little too. And I just bought a new Uberti 1873 clone via GB. That should arrive this week and I'm looking forward to playing with it. I'm staying at home for Thanksgiving (and likely Christmas too) this year, and 98% of my holiday shopping will be done online.

Otherwise I do some reading, mostly brainless "techno-thriller" stuff (Mitch Rapp, Scot Harvath, Gabriel Allon, Jack Reacher, and some Dirk Pitt). Stuff I can just enjoy without having to think a lot. There are also a handful of old favorite books that I re-read every 2 or 3 years. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix so plenty of stuff to watch there, and occasionally I delve into my old DVD library.

Range time, grocery shopping and walking the dogs accounts for most of my "exercise" these days, so I'm trying to improve my eating habits to avoid becoming a total slug.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I quit watching the news ever since faux news came out of the closet as a cnn/msnbc wannabe. The only tv show that I make an effort to watch weekly is The Mandalorian The Baby Yoda Show (my nephew has a subscription to Disney+). I will not watch the news and support the commies who want to destroy this nation.

Honesty, I get most of my news now here on the Forum.

I never did 'watch' the news much. Last night, the evening news was on (the wife always watches it). I just left the room and finished reading "Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" by Erik Larson. Now, I'm reading "If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy from the Revolution to the War of 1812."

Dead Wake was excellent; I am only about 20 pages in on If By Sea, and so far, it's really good.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hound Dog: I’m reading a lot of military history too; also military science fiction. I like to relive the days when men were men.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Turned Fox off after the election results night not only for them turning left, but it's time to end the daily political theater that is running our lives.

Newsmax via tv app on Firefox during the day, volume at zero, just use it as background fodder during the day in the office.

Other than Rush, the national news is off...

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just going on with life as normal.

Ditto.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have not watched TV news regularly since the 2012 election cycle. I have periodically tuned in to the local morning news for weather and traffic, but I stopped that maybe 2014. The only times I have tuned in was for special circumstances like the 2016 election night, the Kavanaugh hearings on Fox News, and very rare viewings of Tucker Carlson and Hannity when the events are interesting. But especially this year, I am in the dark on most things news, have no idea of what Biden and his band of idiots are doing, nor am I interested.

Just been watching old rerun TV shows, catching up on DVR content, films from my disc collection, listening to music, reading books, shooting once or twice per week (though I have stopped for the next few months). Right now reading Blood of Heroes by James Donovan, very inspiring book on The Alamo.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fox news is dead to me. Except for watching a few movies on TV, I keep it turned off.

I'm repairing a couple of old radios, spending time on VHF/UHF Ham radio and surfing Parler on the Internet. Any news I need I find here or at Newsmax.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some video gaming

plus weather in FL is nice so there are always outdoor activities to do

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
For me knowing God is still on his throne and the fact he NEVER changes gives me great peace. He is King and ruler of all and no one person or any political party can touch Him. In the end it all comes out great . IF you're a member of his family. So anyhow I'm reading my Bible more.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Just finished rewatching the last season of "Justified" last night. Maybe I'll pull out an early season of "24" next.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post