Find
Notify
Tools

Watchmen Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted
anyone watching this?

admittedly going into it not knowing or reading much of anything about NBO's new version,

as a fan of the movie, and having read the trade paperback,
not to sure I like this one,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the first episode and checked out. Seemed to have nothing to do with the graphic movie or the movie. Seems more like a show to push some SJW narrative.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Rorschach: "HBO execs will look up and shout 'watch this!'...and I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'"

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lasted about 1/2 way through the first episode. Not interested in any more.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Watched the first two episodes. I like it so far. Chock full of references to the graphic novel and the movie.

I am curious if this will find an audience. It seems like the appeal will be limited to hardcore Watchmen fans.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Watched the first two episodes. I like it so far. Chock full of references to the graphic novel and the movie.

I am curious if this will find an audience. It seems like the appeal will be limited to hardcore Watchmen fans.

I have watched the first 2,

the SJW part is a bit too thick,

but it is keeping my interest, mostly cause I want to see what Veidt is up to , as well as how they handle Dr Manhattan, (who was mentioned as being on Mars, )

I'll give it a few more and see,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We started to watch the HBO movie. We lasted 30 minutes.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Is it a prequel to the movie, or a sequel? I was never sure from watching the snippets of trailers.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Technically a sequel.

Set in the samew world as Watchmen referencing characters from the movie and comics but many years after the events of the movie/comics.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the movies, and read the original 12 issue graphic series.
First episode left me a bit confused and unsure if I wanted stay on board.
Second episode I got a bit more into it, and it started to gel for me as the “sequel” to the first story.
Third episode and I’m in now. Laurie's back! She is going to be a great character.

I understand why people may not get into it, but if you were at all intrigued, try and get though the third episode and see if it grabs you.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
Second episode I got a bit more into it, and it started to gel for me as the “sequel” to the first story.
Third episode and I’m in now. Laurie's back! She is going to be a great character.

I understand why people may not get into it, but if you were at all intrigued, try and get though the third episode and see if it grabs you.

I only watched episode 1 and it was very SJW. I’ll try the next 2 and then that’s it if that theme stays consistent.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I painfully gave it two episodes and I’m done. I’m sick and tired of the racism message being deliberately thrown out. As others have said, the social justice crap is too thick. It’s not for me. Could have been something good but then again this seems to be the ever increasing direction of HBO.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:

I watched the first 2 and called it quits.
Because of this post I watched the 3rd - still gonna call it.
As everyone else here says... too much SJW

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
The SJW stuff is evident, but you also see a lot of push-back against it. The 7th Kav, inspired by Rorschach's writing is the resistance fighting the PC establishment. You even see it from the kids at school making snide remarks against "Redfordation"(reparation).

It does feels strange for the masked vigilantes to work with the police to help hunt down other vigilantes. The cops are already masked up, so why have some that are "in character" as well?

Another odd choice is to have it take place in Tulsa, OK. No offense to you Okies, but the locale really narrows the scope of the story. Maybe they are saying this type of things are not only effecting large metropolitan areas, but even reaches small town Mayberry-type places.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this yet, but from what I've read it's actually an appropriate contemporary take on the original premise from the 80s, which had Nixon being endlessly re-elected in large part due to vigilantism tending to be right-wing. Obviously it wasn't endorsing that, but presenting it as an alternative present history dystopia with marked criticism of unaccountable superheros and right-wing politics.

AIUI, the new series flips the political setting on its head, with vigilantes defending the heavy PC politics enacted over the course of Robert Redford's long-running presidency - itself a funny take on the actor-turned-president type like Reagan, or arguably even Trump. If makers have the balls to follow through with all-out reversal in a critical take on contemporary developments, conservatives should actually like it - if they can avoid the common trap of taking any mere depiction of politics they don't like as promoting same. Though I suspect this is going to be more of a general treatment of polar fringe politics clashing/seesawing, still an interesting exercise if they manage to balance the depiction of both poles.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I feel a little shallow like the people that think comic book movies can't be cinema, but I refuse to support Damon Lindelof in any form after fumbling multiple shows/movies like the rest of Bad Reboot... err... Bad Robot. Him screwing up Prometheus was my final straw, but this interview kind of seals the deal:

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/...ll-the-white-savior/

“What, in 2019, is the equivalent of the nuclear standoff between the Russians and the United States?” Lindelof posited Wednesday during a press conference, referring to one of the key political flashpoints examined in the original comic. He answered, “It just felt like it was undeniably race and policing in America.”

In presenting white supremacy as the main antagonist of these new chapters, Lindelof told the industry reporters assembled for HBO’s presentations at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour, currently underway in Los Angeles, that he’s selected a crisis to which there is no simple answer or grandiose solution.

And then there's this:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/24/d...alan-moore-tca-2019/

Damon Lindelof to Watchmen creator Alan Moore: 'F--- you, I’m doing it anyway'

Posts: 4163 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
When the hell was Watchmen about total race war?

And Rorschach wasn't a white supremacist.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I watched one episode and found I did not like the agenda, on all fronts, being rammed down my throat.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I painfully gave it two episodes and I’m done. I’m sick and tired of the racism message being deliberately thrown out. As others have said, the social justice crap is too thick. It’s not for me. Could have been something good but then again this seems to be the ever increasing direction of HBO.

Agree 100%. Way too thick!

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Well.... that was just a huge dildo

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post