SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Gray Man book series
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gray Man book series Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I am awaiting the next volume to come out.

Aren't we all? I know I am, also.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I just started the first Gray Man book after reading this thread. I'm enjoying very much--thanks to the OP for starting it. Smile

I did a little background reading on Mark Greaney before jumping into the series. He sounds like an interesting cat. Turns out he has voluntarily relinquished the pen to the Clancy universe.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Well I just started the 5th book in The Gray Man series and I've got to say, Greaney really knows how to take you for a 'on the edge of your seat' ride that's for sure. Very addicting and entertaining. I highly recommend it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Intense!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The Movie made by Netflix has posted.

Blend of Bourne/Wick/a little Lethal Weapon thrown in, but not in a good way. Overall a pass. Predictablility, tired tropes, etc..

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed them over the years and have read them all except Relentless. I have it, just haven't started reading it yet.

Another series to check out is the Victor books by U.K author Tom Wood.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just got done watching "The Gray Man" on Netflix. For me, there have been some pleasantly surprising good movies, like "Extraction" and some others.....this was not one of them. Zero story and a bunch of bad action scenes. Maybe, my expectations are too high, as I just re-watched "The Man From Nowhere" yesterday.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As a fan of the books... this is pure shit. I am an hour in and this is terrible.

More later.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I hope to god they drove a giant convoy of dump trucks full of money to Mark Greaney's house for this abortion.

I mean, I REALLY hope his price to sell out was SKY HIGH.

This... was... TERRIBLE...

It's like Netflix hired writers to sit in a room and take his book and figure out how to shoehorn in LITERALLY EVERY ACTION MOVIE CLICHE!

They also invented characters who weren't even in the damn story (not even in later books), introduce characters that aren't in the series until much later, eliminate other characters who actually had substance, and changed the race/sex/preferences/EVERYTHING about existing characters to either be woke or hit the bingo card of diversity.

I'm not exaggerating here, approximately FIVE PERCENT of the story of the movie is in the book, and the other 95 percent is changed. I don't know how they can legally call it the same thing (unless I guess, the author sold out for the probably aforementioned dump trucks full of money)

I'm probably going to spend every free moment of the next two months learning the occult in attempts to summon demons to help me banish EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THIS ABOMINATION, and their children, and even their children's children, down the the deepest, hottest, fieriest pits of hell to suffer eternal damnation.

That and cancel my Netflix subscription.

Don't waste your time.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The books were great. I just finished Sierra Six after reading the rest a few years ago.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Never read (nor heard of) the books (until reading of them here).

Watched the movie last night. I was entertained.

And Chris Evans had more than a few good one-liners in there. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About an hour in. Big fan of the books. This, not so much. Gotta run errands so maybe give the second half a chance tonight.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not watched the Netflix show due to being hesitant since i like the books so well.

Hmm. After reading this thread I am not getting a good vibe.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I enjoyed the movie. Good, mindless entertainment for an evening.

Story line was underdone. Character development almost non-existent. Dialogue was often of the "MWA HA Ha ha ha!" variety. Some of the action scenes were more than a little OTT. But, still: Not the worst action/adventure movie we've ever watched.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched it. To summarize, as credits rolled my wife said it was the stupidest movie she’d seen in awhile. She isn’t wrong.

The action scenes were comically overdone. Characters were thin, even Court, dialogue was bad, you can miss this movie and you won’t regret it.

If you got nothing better to do it will kill an hour and a half.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just finished the first book and this is my response comparing the book to the movie:

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have not read the books. The movie was bad.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT!

I really wanted to read different reviews from you guys.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Isn't pretty much a given that book is always better than the movie?

I am not a reader so I don't get expectations but I thought the movie was fine and entertaining.

I'll let the book/movie critics dissect it as they wish. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Watched the movie. Didn’t know there was a book. This is one of those movies where, if you just watch and not take it seriously and just accept things can happen like that, it can be entertaining. Ryan’s character was likeable. I always enjoy seeing Ana.

I only wish that the two managers suffered their due consequences. Loose end that demands satisfaction.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post