SIGforum
The Gray Man book series

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4780014344

June 22, 2018, 08:11 AM
Ronin1069
The Gray Man book series
May be old hat to some of you, but I recently discovered Mark Greaney's The Gray Man book series.

If you enjoy Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher, this will be right up your alley.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
June 22, 2018, 10:21 AM
henryaz

I've read them all (except for the next-to-last which my library does not have a copy of). I picked them up from an earlier recommendation right here (couple of years ago). It is a fantastic series.

Also in the same vein is the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. Same deal, recommended right here. I am almost finished with that series.

June 22, 2018, 10:59 AM
murphman
I have read them all, except that I am currently half way through the latest. I find them immensely entertaining. Greaney's writing style is preferable to Vince Flynn's work. It's equal to Gregg Hurwitz (Orphan X).

His ability to inject laconic humor into extreme situations really adds a dimension to the books that takes them to the next level. Plus, he has the ability to humanize and make vulnerable, a superman.

June 22, 2018, 11:23 AM
f2
Read all of them, and will get the next one.
July 09, 2018, 01:38 PM
Jimbo54
I just finished the first one and will read the others. Some very far fetched scenarios, but still a fun read.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
July 11, 2018, 05:59 PM
redstone
Ok I just bought the first one. I was needing a break from sci-fi anyway. So far I really like this guy Smile

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
July 12, 2018, 08:11 AM
henryaz

The Gray Man got his nickname from his ability to virtually disappear in a crowd. He reminds me of the Eli Lavon character in Daniel Silva's book series. Lavon is a street surveillance expert and has the same ability to just disappear. According to Gabriel and Shamron, he can disappear while shaking hands with you. Smile

The thing I pick up most from these books (Gray Man, John Rain, Gabriel Allon), is the extensive SDR's (surveillance detection runs) they do. Many times they will spend hours just making sure they have no "tail".

July 12, 2018, 08:44 AM
snipes
Big fan of the series as well. I believe I'm up to date on the books. With all the free reading available these days on Kindle's etc. it says a lot to me that I'm still happy to drop $10 or more when a new installment is released.

July 15, 2018, 12:28 PM
AUTiger89
I just started the series myself. I enjoy these types of heroes.

Phone's ringing, Dude.
July 17, 2018, 02:27 PM
KevinCW
I enjoyed them as well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
July 17, 2018, 02:45 PM
TRshootem
Oh, one of my favorites. Just finished the latest one, couldn't put it down. The author at least has a knowledge of firearms, unlike Lee Child.
July 17, 2018, 03:07 PM
TRshootem
I will suggest some others you may or may not have read:
Nick Petrie 'Light it up'
Nick Oldham Steve Flynn character series
Brad Taylor...
Robert Crais...
Brad Meltzer...

The latest Baldacchi book was a good read as well.
July 17, 2018, 08:08 PM
MikeNH
I need to start reading these. Mark Greaney is one of several authors carrying on Tom Clancy's books and he's by far the best of the writers who have taken on that challenge.
July 18, 2018, 08:37 AM
Jimbo54
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
I will suggest some others you may or may not have read:
Nick Petrie 'Light it up'
Nick Oldham Steve Flynn character series
Brad Taylor...
Robert Crais...
Brad Meltzer...

The latest Baldacchi book was a good read as well.

I'll second the Robert Crais books. The "Elvis Cole" series is very entertaining.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
July 18, 2018, 08:43 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'll second the Robert Crais books. The "Elvis Cole" series is very entertaining.

Elvis is very entertaining, but I always look forward to Joe Pike. He ranks right up there with some of the more obscure bad-asses who are generally secondary characters, like Nate Romanowski.

July 18, 2018, 03:49 PM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Also Joe Pike (6 book series), Scott James & Maggie (2 books: Suspect and The Promise). Maggie is a German shepherd.
July 19, 2018, 07:53 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Also Joe Pike (6 book series)

I forgot Joe Pike has his own series of books. But, as Elvis' partner, he also frequently appears in the Elvis Cole books.

July 19, 2018, 03:47 PM
jigray3
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
I need to start reading these. Mark Greaney is one of several authors carrying on Tom Clancy's books and he's by far the best of the writers who have taken on that challenge.

I agree, but the problem is it has him busy enough that the Gray Man series releases have slowed down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
July 28, 2018, 03:43 PM
Jimbo54
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:

I wasn't aware that Greaney co-authored several books with Tom Clancy and that he continued the Jack Ryan series. Now that I know that, I'll have enough to read for over a year.

Thanks SF.

Jim

July 30, 2018, 07:32 AM
mrmn50
I am awaiting the next volume to come out.