SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I just heard Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" on my classical music station, KUSC, 89.5 FM, LA. I wish Mozart could've heard it. I think that he would've loved it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I love the old piano music from the early 20th century. My favorites are some old Boogie Woogie favories, such as Pinetop's Boogie Woogie This is a later rendition, but done well by a great piano artist.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very nice, and the proper tempo (because he wrote it, he should know Smile).

Here is a more upbeat version, performed by the Swiss pianist Silvan Zingg, who did the Pinetop's Boogie Woogie I posted just above.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I did like Silvan Zingg's version better. He's an amazing pianist.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Now that was cool! Joplin's work transitions to a faster beat very well, I knew that, but that one was exceptional! Cool

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even this sounds good (watch to the very end Cool):

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Emerson, Lake and Palmer did a version of this on their Works Vol. 2 record. That was faster too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWZuSNP3LAQ

A cousin of mine whom I never got to meet.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
Wow. Throwback to piano lessons.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Another Silvan Zingg item, not rags, but boogie woogie with dancers. This video is 11 years old, but William and Maeva were the world champion boogie dancers for about four years running. Silvan, of course, is right on.

Dancin the Boogie

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Another Silvan Zingg item, not rags, but boogie woogie with dancers. This video is 11 years old, but William and Maeva were the world champion boogie dancers for about four years running. Silvan, of course, is right on.

Dancin the Boogie

This video came to my mind when I saw the first Silvan Zingg post in this thread. But I didn't know then that Zingg was the pianist.

Serious about crackers

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A masterpiece.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Even this sounds good (watch to the very end Cool):

Smile

That is perfect music for when you're in a hurry to relax.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Tempo must be relaxed, and rhythm must NOT be swung. It is often performed incorrectly.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post