SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stevie Ray Vaughan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevie Ray Vaughan Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yep. Been awhile. His brother, Jimmie Vaughn still performs. Certainly not Stevie

Definitely not Stevie, and IMO, he sucks. He misses notes, lags, and otherwise is just not with the rest. 

I'm sure Billy Gibbons would disagree with you- Jimmie is one of his dream guitarists.

I have been a fan of Jimmie Vaughn WAY before I heard of Stevie Ray, when he was with The Fabulous Thunderbirds. I bought their first album back in late 70s/80 based on word of mouth from accounts I have read by guys like Keith Richards, Clapton, Zeppelin etc. I was hooked by then and saw the T-Birds whenever they toured thru CA. Haven't seen them since Jimmie left the band.

When Bowie came out with Let's Dance, Stevie Ray became noticeable, but better than Jimmie? Not really. He was definitely flashier, and came into his own later on.

But Jimmie is no slouch, far from it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw him in 87 in Dallas at an outdoor venue. This was at the height of his substance abuse problems and at times it looked like he was gonna fall off the stage. Unfortunately, I never got to see him again. If he really does have a Son, I wonder if he plays guitar?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the story of how poor Stevie was when he was growing up. SRV was a fan of Howling Wolf, who had carried a picture in his front pocket sitting in a boat parked in his driveway.
SRV said that he took a picture of his childhood house with a window air conditioner as a sign that he had made it big. I thought that showed some great humility and humor.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
I remember when my two dipshit friends at the time called me up on conference call (btw, remember that cute feature for landlines?) to tell me SRV had died in Alpine Valley. I thought they were joking until I saw the news. Those dicks took joy in breaking bad new to me. Dicks.

That he crashed in a light aircraft in Alpine Valley just gave me another reason to hate Wisconsin.

Is there a scoreboard that keeps track of how many rock stars were killed by light aircraft or drugs?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I'm sure Billy Gibbons would disagree with you- Jimmie is one of his dream guitarists.

I have been a fan of Jimmie Vaughn WAY before I heard of Stevie Ray, when he was with The Fabulous Thunderbirds. I bought their first album back in late 70s/80 based on word of mouth from accounts I have read by guys like Keith Richards, Clapton, Zeppelin etc. I was hooked by then and saw the T-Birds whenever they toured thru CA. Haven't seen them since Jimmie left the band.

And I admit to basing my opinion on having only seen Jimmie perform in this century, primarily on the last three Crossroads festivals, 2007, 2010, and 2013, plus a couple of other performances. I guess I never got to see him in his prime.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
a buddy and his then girlfriend called me up and took me to see him about 1985 or so,
place in RVA called the Mosque, (now the altria theater)

great acoustics in that place, and he was amazing to see

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10419 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
SRV was just another voice to me in the 80’s, never really followed enough to know his story before the crash, let alone before his fame. If you’ve not seen these, they are a very good watch.

There are two documentaries out, first is early years, second is later, all by the same production. Exceptionally good IMHO.

Not sure where you might find this, but if possible I’d watch it first. We stumbled across it on TV and recorded. I believe it is also on Youtube TV and Apple TV.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Rise Of A Texas Bluesman: 1954-1983

After seeing that went looking for the rest of the story and it is indeed available on Prime. While interesting, the first 29-year story above is MUCH more so. The backstory is remarkable.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - 1984-1989: Lonestar

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

When Bowie came out with Let's Dance, Stevie Ray became noticeable, but better than Jimmie? Not really. He was definitely flashier, and came into his own later on.

If I remember the story correctly-
SRV was an up and comer before the David Bowie album.
SRV was invited to play at the Montreau Jazz Festival, and from all accounts, nailed it. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble played their American asses off, and were really damn good.
They got done with their set, and those French bastards just looked at them, smoked their cigarettes and continued talking.

SRV and Double Trouble walked off dejected.

David Bowie met up with them in the hotel room before they got out of dodge, David was impressed and told them. That's when he asked them to play on "Let's Dance".

Next year rolls around and SRV and Double Trouble get invited again to Montreau. SRV and the band were basically "Fuck That, and Fuck Them!" David Bowie begged them to return.
SRV and DT went, played kinda half-ass for the first part of the set, and the crowd was going wild. They took a break, and back stage Bowie explained to them that they were new-comers... Freshmen in the big leagues. Yes, they nailed it the first go 'round, but those French, they weren't going to acknowledge it.

I remember the day he died. I was out cold in the rack in Okinawa, just got out of the field. One of the Marines in the unit (Easterling, IIRC) who was on duty came blasting through the barracks and woke my ass up telling me that he died, and where.
Sad day in the Rock and Roll world.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Mary had a little lamb.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan back in the 80s but never got to see him live. I was in my shop on 8/27/90 listening to the radio when it said Eric Clapton's helicopter went down. I thought oh shit! Then found out later that it was SRV on it. Oh shit again we lost a great one that day.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MO-Sig
posted Hide Post
I saw him open for Robert Plant in 1988 and SRV had the crowd fully fired up for the headliner after an amazing set. Robert Plant's second song that night was "In the Evening" and I'll never forget the roar of the crowd when it started. I agree the SRV Little Wing is the best version. If you can improve on a Hendrix guitar solo, you're pretty damn good.

This is what happens when you stop letting kids play dodgeball in school.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fly Over Country | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I love Stevie and Jimmy. Still listen to them all the time.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I was in my garage working on dirt bikes when the news came on the radio. Sad news. SRV's version of Little Wing is tops to me, even better than Hendrix.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G53BMgugo

There are a lot of good renditions of this song. With and without lyrics. This one is my absolute favorite. His guitar sings a song on this track.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of my favorites, you can hear hints of BB's licks and flare..Stevie was a Strat master and had total command like Hendrix.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
Went to one of his concerts 87 or 88, hard to remember. They played nearly 3 hours and then he brought out Albert Collins for a few songs. Still one of the best concerts I have attended.

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Neat story: I went to school in Austin in the early 90s and was a member of a band in law school. The school hosted a party at Antone's and we were asked to perform. We got to play on the Antone's stage and I set up my keyboard rig next to their Hammond B-3 which I used on a couple of songs.

So me and SRV - nearly identical musical careers.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post