SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stevie Ray Vaughan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevie Ray Vaughan Login/Join 
posted
October 3, 1954- August 27, 1990.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Did you see him live down there at Antone's, mekaus?

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gees, can't believe it's been that long. Thanks.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Been awhile. His brother, Jimmie Vaughn still performs. Certainly not Stevie, but pretty talented guy. Saw hims several years back at a Blues Fest, with Kenny Wayne Shepherd the next day.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw some good stuff at Antone's. I never saw Stevie there. I wished i would have seen him play.
I might have as a kid during Aquafest, but I don't remember.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin had some interesting acts in the 1970s. Never saw Stevie, but pretty sure he played there.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I saw him live. Fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAVGedctWA

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yep. Been awhile. His brother, Jimmie Vaughn still performs. Certainly not Stevie

Definitely not Stevie, and IMO, he sucks. He misses notes, lags, and otherwise is just not with the rest.

Stevie's best two live performances were at Montreux, in 1982 when he was boo'ed roundly for introducing something new where they were used to acoustic blues and jazz. And then again in 1985, after winning a Grammy, where he was cheered wildly.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yep. Been awhile. His brother, Jimmie Vaughn still performs. Certainly not Stevie

Definitely not Stevie, and IMO, he sucks. He misses notes, lags, and otherwise is just not with the rest.

I liked Jimmie better when he was with the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Solo? Not so much.

quote:
Stevie's best two live performances were at Montreux, in 1982 when he was boo'ed roundly for introducing something new where they were used to acoustic blues and jazz. And then again in 1985, after winning a Grammy, where he was cheered wildly.

I've got the double CD. Great comparison/contrast. IIRC, that first concert was where SRV was introduced to Jackson Browne, who let SRV use his studio to record Texas Flood, and David Bowie, who asked SRV perform on "Let's Dance," "Little China Girl," and "Modern Love."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I was in my garage working on dirt bikes when the news came on the radio. Sad news. SRV's version of Little Wing is tops to me, even better than Hendrix.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G53BMgugo

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to the double album on an SD card in my Jeep for the last 2 weeks.
I seem to drive faster than usual.

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to go to the show at Alpine Valley that night and took a pass. I told myself that I'd catch SRV the next time he played in the Chicago area.

I've always regretted that decision, but it was actually a great learning experience for me. Now, I tend to opt in to good shows and events figuring you never know if you'll have another opportunity to see that artist or show again. (And, of course, now I wonder if it'll be me that won't be around for the next time. Eek )

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've seen Jimmie and the Fabulous Thunderbirds and Storyville, but never Stevie, sadly.

Kenny Wayne ain't no Stevie, but he's definitely better and a closer version than Jimmie.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watching a documentary now on the other computer from Amazon Prime Video.
Actually there are a couple good ones.
Kind of a sad story with the drugs and alcohol.
Great music though.
The plane crash was coming ~ one way or another. Frown

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Saw him front row at the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta. I had never even heard of him. A truly amazing performance. Didn't he date or marry a Playboy centerfold, I guess because he could.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've met SRV's illegitimate son a couple of times in Austin through a mutual friend, looks so much like his dad. Another friend of mine did some business with the kid's mom, too. I was skeptical after my one friend told me he knew the kid, but as soon as I met him it couldn't have been more clear. It was a trip. Very humble, unassuming, friendly dude, who never brought it up himself, wasn't trying to cash in or anything.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
Saw him front row at the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta. I had never even heard of him. A truly amazing performance. Didn't he date or marry a Playboy centerfold, I guess because he could.

He was married from 1979 -1988, divorced.
Met a 16-year old New Zealand girl somewhere around 1985-6 making her around 20 when he died.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I lived in Dallas and Austin in the late 80s and regret I never saw him play live. I was around him a few times and did get to meet him in Dallas in 1990. I am normally not a star struck person, but I remember thinking to myself " be cool, be cool!" Someone in the room told a story about their grandmother, and he and I had a cup of coffee and told stories about our grandmother's for a few minutes.

I do remember he was a person that when asked a question would have a fairly long pause and think about his answer, sometimes for an almost uncomfortably long time and then start speaking in a slow Texas drawl. You could tell he did not have that thing some people have where they talk fast because they are afraid they are going to be intereupted. People listened to Stevie, and he had pretty interesting things to say.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
He was in Denver at Fiddlers Green the month before Alpine Valley. I was lucky to be there as he and Joe Cocker put on a great show.

I remember Riveara Paradise, just a beautiful song. Unfortunatrly, the majority of the crowd started yapping through it.

He's been missed.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post