Find
Notify
Tools

Insta Pot Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I know there are some fans of cooking and especially eating here.

I bought this for SWMBO for Christmas, because, well, she has a vacuum cleaner and you know I HAD to get her something!

Horry Shit!! We've made two recipes in the thing and they were great!

It's saved our marriage!! I'm getting laid again every night!

Well, maybe not, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food this thing can make.

Last night was a pork chop dish. You know how dry pork can turn out. Not last night. Fork tender and moist with good flavor. Fifteen minutes cooking time.

Nice to see something that actually does what it advertises.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
We JUST got one. Not used it yet. How about posting your pork chop dish? I love pork chops.

Posts: 473 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ours gets used a lot for cooking Jasmine rice, but we've (the wife) done a few recipes in it as well. Works great.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like hard-boiled eggs, they really come out nice and peel easily. One of our favorites is chicken thighs and saffron rice. Sometimes we'll add onion and/or red pepper. First we use the saute feature then we put the pressure on. Really nice to be able to brown and pressure cook in the same unit.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
It's my favorite to cook with.

I have a bunch of recipes that I've collected. Some are quick and some not so much, but damn the thing makes some good food.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The RV crowd raves about those things. Is there any particular brand that stands out? Or is Insta Pot THE brand?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I assume that you mean “Instant Pot” rather than “Insta Pot”

Not for me – I’m sticking with my old stove top Fagor pressure cooker. With pressure cookers the process is open loop – you don’t know the results until you open the cooker at the end. You go by time and pressure settings. I have dozens of such settings that would have to be tweaked if I changed to Instant Pot.

And my Fagor fits into my cupboard – the Instant Pot wouldn’t. I know that the Instant Pot can be used as a slow cooker too, but I’m not a slow cooker guy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Got one for the Mrs. a couple of years ago. At first she was "meh". But, I got her an Instapot cookbook and that got her interested. Now, she uses it several times a week. In fact, I have seen her stop preparing some meals as she figures out how to make the same meal in the Instapot in a fraction of the time. It's a huge time saver.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I love cooking spaghetti squash and artichokes in ours. Takes 10 minutes!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Got mine last month and love it. I have had family over for "dinner and a movie" three times with meals cooked in it. I have done teriyaki chicken and rice, barbecue ribs (meat was falling off the bone), and meatloaf with mashed potatoes.....there were NO leftovers.

iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LYxQSt58zmA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

I have done a few oatmeal breakfast meals (fixed for the week ahead of time) which were great also.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
The Crock Pot brand version is non stick.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
The Crock Pot brand version is non stick.

There is a non stick pan you can get for the Instant Pot. One of the reasons I went with an Instant Pot was the number of accessories for it.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This seems to me to be just another kitchen appliance/gadget (of which I already have too many).

What do these things do that I can't already do?

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Save time. The pressure cooker excels in taking long cooking meals and drastically shortening the time.

We made beef hind shanks the other day with the total time about an hour. The shanks would have to braise for at least 3 hours normally.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
This seems to me to be just another kitchen appliance/gadget (of which I already have too many).

What do these things do that I can't already do?

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Do Instant Pots' draw less current than a regular crock pot?

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do Instant Pots' draw less current than a regular crock pot?

I'm not sure how they compare in how much current they use, but an Instant Pot is basically an electronic pressure cooker, so it can cook food fast (even frozen meat). Since it's electronically controlled, you don't have to be around to turn it off like a regular stove-top pressure cooker. It'll stop cooking at the end of the timed setting and switch to a "keep warm" mode.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
We JUST got one. Not used it yet. How about posting your pork chop dish? I love pork chops.

These were about 3/4" and we sauteed them in a tablespoon of olive oil to brown them. Them seasoned with salt pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and maple syrup. I was not crazy about the ginger and cinnamon, but they were fine. Next time, different seasonings. Cook 15" on high pressure and then dump the pressure rapidly and eat them up.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:

These were about 3/4" and we sauteed them in a tablespoon of olive oil to brown them. Them seasoned with salt pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and maple syrup. I was not crazy about the ginger and cinnamon, but they were fine. Next time, different seasonings. Cook 15" on high pressure and then dump the pressure rapidly and eat them up.

RMD

Thank you !!! The whole family loves pork chops, one of the few things all 3 kids all like. I will try these. About how much Maple syrup?

Posts: 473 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
We’ve used ours a few times with great success. I’m going to have to try the hard boiled eggs. Oh and the Mac n cheese looks pretty good to.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pot Roast is 90 minutes at least, slow release. Do not listen to those that say use half the time unless you like bullhide.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post