SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Kids are loving the old classic family movies. Help me remember some more.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kids are loving the old classic family movies. Help me remember some more. Login/Join 
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Herbie Movies
Apple Dumpling Gang
Shaggy Dog
Swiss Family Robinson
The Absent-Minded Professor
Flubber
The Ugly Dachshund
The Jungle Book

Thank you for asking about these. Brings back some good memories.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Song of the South

I have to ask...where did you get a copy of this movie? Disney never released it and has made every attempt to bury it. Post it on eBay and see how quickly they send a cease and desist...

I'll plug a couple 80's movies here:
ET
Flight of the Navigator

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Dumbo
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (drinking and smoking, shooting)
Tarzan movies
Jack and the Beanstalk
Laurel and Hardy
Betty Bop
Reluctant Astronaut
Gus
Wind in the Willows I & II (narrated by Redgrave)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mysterious Island
Dark Crystal
Adventures in Babysitting
The Wizard
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Mom and Dad Save the World
Invaders from Mars

You can't forget the good (bad) 80s movies.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:
quote:
Song of the South

I have to ask...where did you get a copy of this movie? Disney never released it and has made every attempt to bury it. Post it on eBay and see how quickly they send a cease and desist...

I'll plug a couple 80's movies here:
ET
Flight of the Navigator

There was a thread started by another member awhile back. That listed this site.

https://www.classicmoviereel.com/sots.html

Also found the Blu Ray (not ordered it from there)

https://monsterlandmedia.com/p...e-restock-requests-0

There are also a few downloads that come up if you google it.

Good list folks.
I have thought of a few of them like Flight of the Navigator just not sure they are ready for it yet due to age.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Cat From Outerspace

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The original (1967) animated 'The Jungle Book' with Phil Harris and Sebastian Cabot doing voices is very good, IMO.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Finding a bunch of used discs on eBay and the like for a few bucks.

I ordered Flight if the Navigator today on DVD the BluRays are like $50 even used. I need to watch it as it has been quite awhile. It may be fine for my 6 year old but the 4 and 2 it has been so long need to review it.

Also grabbed The Secret Garden granted that is not really old. I think the 1993 version is likely the best.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Herbie The Love Bug
Jungle Book
Jumangi (the original one)
Cats
Kindergarten Cop

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't limit it to just movies.

The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
The Andy Griffith Show

Kid friendly with hidden humor for adults.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
National Velvet
Lassie Come Home
A Dog of Flanders
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My favorite as a kid:
Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.
For rent on Amazon Prime.

Bambi - recent greater appreciation due to documentary on life of Tyrus Wong whose concept of the art for Bambi is now considered high art and the foundation of the modern cartoon.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Bambi - recent greater appreciation due to documentary on life of Tyrus Wong whose concept of the art for Bambi is now considered high art and the foundation of the modern cartoon.

The Disney Family Museum in SF's Presidio had a feature on his work along with a bunch of his concept and unpublished stuff years ago....really good stuff.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered Flight if the Navigator today on DVD the BluRays are like $50 even used. I need to watch it as it has been quite awhile. It may be fine for my 6 year old but the 4 and 2 it has been so long need to review it.

I saw Flight of the Navigator in the theater. I would have been 6 which means my sister would have been 3. Nothing too scary as I recall. Maybe the scene in the end when the ship is taking whatshisname back to his own time.

quote:
Also grabbed The Secret Garden granted that is not really old. I think the 1993 version is likely the best.

Nah. Find the 1975 BBC mini-series version. Once you've opened their eyes to the wonders of early BBC stage-to-screen productions, you'll have a whole new library of fun - like the BBC Narnia films. Makes for an easy transition a little bit later in life to everything good they've produced (Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, anything run in the U.S. on Mystery and a lot of Masterpiece Theater features).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Not dark like the Johnny Depp version.

Grimm's fairly tales, although mostly Disney-ized. At your sons age I saw the German versions.

Lassie and Flipper we popular when I was 8 - in Germany.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Reading through the lists, most of the suggestions are ones that I would have made as well...and they brought a smile as I fondly recalled the time when I watched many of these classic Disney movies (back when Disney still represented good wholesame family values and lessons), and some great TV shows as well.

One suggestion I'd like to add is a Disney movie called
The Rocketeer

I would recommend this rated PG movie to families with kids old enough to handle a storyline that takes place in the 1930s and includes gangsters and pre-war Nazis, there are a couple shootouts, and a tiny bit of violence, and there is one brief scene in which the W.C. Field's character makes a suggestive but funny quip while the camera briefly focuses on the lead actresse's cleavage. There are both a "son of a bitch" and a "hell" uttered during the movie and just a bit of suggestive interaction after the character of Jenny is kidnapped but, overall, this is a fun loving action/ comedy/ romance movie that will likely appeal to kids who like super heroes...and there are some fantastic aviation sequences in the movie.

Edited: to add a few additional PG elements of the movie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have not seen that one since I was a kid and it came out in the theater.
Not sure why but the scene where is is learning to fly with the helmet for the first time and is sipping in different directions because he was not taking into account the fin on the helmet.
Need to grab that one as well.

The Rocketeer need not be confused in name with possibly one of the funniest Disney movies Rocketman!
Rocketman is pure slapstick comedy with Harland Williams.

————————————————

Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
Another Disney - The Prince and the Pauper
Danny Kaye films like The Court Jester or The Inspector General
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with Bing Crosby

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Cat From Outerspace
That one was a riot!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post