SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Spectacularly Bad Opening Acts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spectacularly Bad Opening Acts Login/Join 
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted
Companion thread to good opening acts. Heart (Anne and Nancy are rock goddesses IMHO) was on their first tour behind Dreamboat Annie. They came to Allentown, PA. Opening act was a magician, a bad magician. Can't imagine the brain trust that decided a magician should open for Heart. The magician was not well received and after 20 minutes retired from the stage.

Heart ROCKED it.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Dexy's Midnight Runners got booed off the stage opening for David Bowie.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Tool, when they opened for Metallica.

I think they were a little dismayed when nearly 90% of the seats were filled for their first song and less than 10% when they finished (everyone was walking around at the concessions stand). They ended with a "well fuck you San Diego" and got booed by those still in their seats AND those walking around.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a buddy to see Natalie Merchant at the Joint in the Hard Rock LV (way before it was remodeled....like, 1996 or so). We have great seats, first or second row. So the opening act is just billed as a "Joni Mitchell Tribute" show. OK, not really my favorite but whatever..... So the show starts and the Joni Mitchell singing is more "John Mitchell".....some guy in a blue sleeveless dress wearing a bright yellow wig and with GUNS for biceps. It was freaking weird. Just.....weird. I couldn't stop laughing. There was a huge security guy standing by us, he had to face the seats, and when he saw our reaction and turned around and saw the freak show, I wish I had a camera to catch it.
We headed to the back of the room to the bar, had a few drinks and waited for the main act. Natalie Merchant was like, 2+ hours late to take the stage, ended up just leaving and going to play blackjack.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Companion thread to good opening acts. Heart (Anne and Nancy are rock goddesses IMHO) was on their first tour behind Dreamboat Annie. They came to Allentown, PA. Opening act was a magician, a bad magician. Can't imagine the brain trust that decided a magician should open for Heart. The magician was not well received and after 20 minutes retired from the stage.

Heart ROCKED it.

he's a Magic Man.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
When I saw Tool in Denver a couple years ago a band called 3 Teeth opened up for them. Yeah, I couldn’t drink that cool aid.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Back around 93 or 94 I saw Kings X open for Pearl Jam. Kings X put on a tepid performance at best and Pearl Jam was in the height of peak Ten popularity and hadn’t become serious and jaded yet. You can imagine how that worked out. Also terrible was Candlebox opening for Living Color.

Not really an opening act, and not an untalented performance, but I once went to a clinic put on by Dennis Chambers (P Funk’s inhuman drumming machine for a while) and Victor Wooten (one of the baddest bass players to ever live). With these two virtuoso monsters of funk was guitarist Shawn Lane, who could play scales really, really fast. Lane passed on not long after that, and he was technically phenomenal, but the fit was probably the worst I’ve ever seen for a live performance.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Y&T (a very mediocre, IMHO, hard rock band) opened for Rush when their Grace Under Pressure tour came to Charleston, WV. Pretty much the same scenario as LS1 GTO's Tool/Metallica, except the seats started about 10% filled and stayed that way until they left the stage.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
It's a tie:

Lili Haydn opening for Page & Plant, 1998.
It Bites opening for Jethro Tull, 1989.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugent opened for Aerosmith in the 80's. He was awful and the sound was so distorted. Aerosmith killed it though.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school, at a weekend rock festival, the first day featured co-headliners Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent. The Boomtown Rats opened that day and I actually thought they were good. But the entire audience hated "punk rock", booed them throughout, throwing stuff at at the band, including clumps of dirt and grass torn up from the infield. Lead singer Bob Geldof would insult the audience, egging them on to throw more stuff. There were moments when literally hundred of items were raining on the band. I heard the same thing happened to an unknown Prince when he opened for The Stones a couple of years later.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I saw Taylor Swift open for Brad Paisley once.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
cannot think of one that was horrible, (mostly cause I can't remember who they were,,,, see lots of shows)

do recall a few, one that opened for Morrissey years ago, a couple that opened for Costello, that were not good at all,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I was at a Yes concert in Austin in the early 90's. The opening act was honest to God black and white Popeye cartoons on a giant screen.

I guess they figured that most of the audience was going to be getting "medicated" on one thing or another and Popeye cartoons were a good way to judge when to level off. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post