SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Been Thinking About Canceling Netflix, How Is Amazon Prime?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been Thinking About Canceling Netflix, How Is Amazon Prime? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Been looking for awhile now for a good replacement for Netflix. Been looking at Amazon Prime as a suitable choice and the same $$ range. I'm very close to pulling the trigger. Any pro's and/or cons from the membership?

I've got the locals with OTA DVR covered, and many of the other networks thru Philo.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. It’s ok. Some decent original content. None of these are great.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I figured that I'll try the 30 day free trial they offer after further searching as nothing to loose.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
The Expanse is excellent. Started on Syfy, but got picked up by Amazon.
The Boys is similarly good, if you can stand gory scenes and swearing.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 642 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The Original Series offerings are pretty good and certainly a bit different from NF.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Infidel:
The Expanse is excellent. Started on Syfy, but got picked up by Amazon.
The Boys is similarly good, if you can stand gory scenes and swearing.

Enjoyed The Expanse
Watching Absentia now.
Bosch was another good one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have never had Netflix but there is some decent movies and series on Prime.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Thanks for the feedback. I figured that I'll try the 30 day free trial they offer after further searching as nothing to loose.

be sure to watch the first season of Jack Ryan. The 2nd season is optional.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Quit the Netflix, come back in 6 months. There's no reason not to alternate subscription plans for a while, since there's no contract or cancellation penalty. Just cancel for a few months and let the new shows build up for a while, then re-up and binge.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I canceled both over the course of this year.
I decided I needed to spend more time at the range and on my motorcycles.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have both. We find little of interest on OTA TV these days, so we mainly watch movies or series on NF or AP.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
be sure to watch the first season of Jack Ryan. The 2nd season is optional.

Exactly! The first series that I binged last night after signing for the free trial was the Jack Ryan series. I can't recall at this moment if it was the 2ond season but was the one shot in Venezuela. Really enjoyed it.

hudr, I'd personally love to spend more time outdoors or doing other stuff but have been hamstrung by health so I just try and enjoy whatever I can under these circumstances.

ensigmatic, yea, I still get my dose of OTA programs that I record and it really came in handy to get a snapshot of the weather as the storms are starting to get cranked up. Thats the big plus of the DVR is being able to FF thru the news to get to the weather.

Thanks for all the replies all. After viewing the video content available with Prime it looks like it will at least keep me occupied for some time, and a lot of new content to watch. I was also looking into the other benefits of Prime membership shopping and shipping stuff. I have to read further but looks interesting.

Aeteocles, that is exactly my plan. I did that with streaming content like SLING TV and PHILO before. That is one of the advantages that many here posted as a benefit in that longer "cutting the cord" thread.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
My wife and I order enough things on Amazon that we bought a year service and get Prime tv included in the overall price. Not a bad deal.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

Thanks for all the replies all. After viewing the video content available with Prime it looks like it will at least keep me occupied for some time, and a lot of new content to watch. I was also looking into the other benefits of Prime membership shopping and shipping stuff. I have to read further but looks interesting.

If you enjoy reading, Kindle unlimited through Prime is a good deal. I think it's $8.95 a month after the (separate) free trial, and there's a lot (a LOT) of books available for free. I'm running through a bunch of memoirs about Vietnam at the moment.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A few good content items, but too much pay as you go. More/all of it should be included in the subscription price.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
A few good content items, but too much pay as you go. More/all of it should be included in the subscription price.

May I ask, if you originally enrolled in the 30 day free trial did you find that most of the movies were free until the trial period expired? The reason I ask is that so far it seems that most of the movies I've watched were free. I do see in one of the sub-menu's rentals, but the few I've watched like the Jack Ryan episodes and other movies that are "suggested to watch" based on my choices are free so far. I wonder if that will change when the trial period is up.

I know that with Apple TV+ many of the movies charge for rental during the 1yr free subscription with the purchase of the Apple TV device.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
We've got Netflix and Prime. Netflix is on the way out for their slant on things (lots of LGBWTXYZ).

If you like Brit TV, take a look at Acorn and Britbox. They're relatively inexpensive, like $7 or $8 a month, and have lots of good content. We particularly like some of the mystery series.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Prime is like a Russian doll where you find hidden gems. The newest one was they had History Channel's "Battle 360" which is 10 episodes of the story of the USS Enterprise CV-6 through the Pacific Campaign with a mix of stock footage and CGI. All for free.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Meh. It’s ok. Some decent original content. None of these are great.

This is my thinking. I have both Netflix and Prime. I really have to be desperate to look for something on prime. Once in a while they get a good movie. Netflix has a lot of great origional series.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If you like European TV dramas/crime/mystery shows, check out MHz Choice, I subscribe through Amazon Prime; lot's of good shows, definitely worth the $7.99/month; also I believe they have a 7-day trial so you can check to see if there any shows that you might find interesting.

The different series that I thought were good are:
  • the French series "Murders In..."
  • "Anatomy of Evil" - Austrian crime drama
  • "Professor T" - German version
  • "Murder By The Lake" - German/Austrian police drama
  • "Spiral" French police series - now on Prime
  • "The Passenger" French drama mini-series
  • "Tatort" German police dramas, there are different series set in different German cities

*Yes, they're all subtitled

quote:
Originally posted by Day_late:
We've got Netflix and Prime. Netflix is on the way out for their slant on things (lots of LGBWTXYZ).

If you like Brit TV, take a look at Acorn and Britbox. They're relatively inexpensive, like $7 or $8 a month, and have lots of good content. We particularly like some of the mystery series.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post