SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Been Thinking About Canceling Netflix, How Is Amazon Prime?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been Thinking About Canceling Netflix, How Is Amazon Prime? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm not really clear on the Prime membership. If I decide to keep the Amazon Prime membership does it include the deals with shopping and shipping? After reading the email they sent me I'm not totally clear if the membership for streaming tv services include the other listed benefits, not that I'd use them a lot anyway but I might check into their grocery delivery as I use Publix thru Instacart but it is at a higher cost currently.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'm not really clear on the Prime membership. If I decide to keep the Amazon Prime membership does it include the deals with shopping and shipping? After reading the email they sent me I'm not totally clear if the membership for streaming tv services include the other listed benefits, not that I'd use them a lot anyway but I might check into their grocery delivery as I use Publix thru Instacart but it is at a higher cost currently.

AFAIK, yes it includes everything. The "2 day" shipping has become a joke and if you shop around you can sometimes get the same item with shipping cheaper from another source than with the "free" shipping from Amazon. Caveat Emptor

Overall, I still feel Amazon in general and Prime in particular is a worth-while deal for those of us that live in the sticks, just don't assume it's ALWAYS the best source.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you PHPaul!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Prime is decent although at the risk of being Netflix-mask-shamed ~ I find the Netflix has better content.
Prime originals are generally quite good though.
Room for both, IMO.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Prime is decent although at the risk of being Netflix-mask-shamed ~ I find the Netflix has better content.

For us it's 50/50. We've several series' we watch on each. NF has started coming out with new seasons (we just finished the latest season of The Umbrella Academy). We're still waiting on a bunch of AP originals. AP does have the advantage of being able to rent current major movie releases, which NF does not--though at exorbitant rates.

Conversely: I've been given cause to avoid doing any more business with Amazon than I "have" to, so there's that.

Apple TV+ does rentals, too, and they also have some good original content. I wonder what that's going to cost once our free subscription runs out?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We don’t watch Netflix much, and my subscription will be canceled as of the end of August.
Prime has multiple channels you can subscribe to for an additional $5 or so a month, such as BritBox which has tons of good British mysteries.
Yes, much of what Prime offers they will charge you to rent or buy, but it’s good stuff.
In contrast, if I browse Netflix I usually don’t find anything interesting (like going to the old Blockbusters looking for a movie and going home empty-handed, as happened many times.
Use the reviews for things you’re wondering about, they are usually helpful.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
A few good content items, but too much pay as you go. More/all of it should be included in the subscription price.

May I ask, if you originally enrolled in the 30 day free trial did you find that most of the movies were free until the trial period expired? The reason I ask is that so far it seems that most of the movies I've watched were free. I do see in one of the sub-menu's rentals, but the few I've watched like the Jack Ryan episodes and other movies that are "suggested to watch" based on my choices are free so far. I wonder if that will change when the trial period is up.

I know that with Apple TV+ many of the movies charge for rental during the 1yr free subscription with the purchase of the Apple TV device.

I’m speaking more of TV shows, especially older ones.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the good input and replies. Unfortunately these days on a limited SSI fixed income I have to limit my choices and keep my costs as minimal as the budget allows. That was my original intent to cut the cord from the increases of AT&T and go streaming. Right from to start that shaved a conservative $85 off my monthly budget.

I'm still fine tuning my choices and justifying costs. Even my few $$ saved going from SLING to PHILO is now being scrutinized because purchasing those network channels were mostly for HIST , Travel and a few others. I haven't watched hardly any of those programs so even PHILO may be on the chopping block. Thats where having no contracts really shines.

As of late I'm caught up on my binging of Netflix shows like the Longmire series, Lost in Space and a few others. Also it could be just me but I've seen a content shift with Netflix that I'm not really crazy about, having already watched most of the selections that I enjoyed. Amazon Prime is fresh to me so I'm enjoying the new stuff.

I'd really like to see like a "pay as you go channels" for example, I could cancel PHILO and pay a few $$ just for HIST or other preferred channels without being a package. I would drop the $20 monthly for the PHILO or other streaming services and pay like $5 mo just for the HIST or another cannel choice. I don't see it happening but it would be a great option.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
We find ourselves watching Netflix more than Prime. I am getting more mileage out of Netflix than Prime.
Keep an eye out for sign up deals. We got Hulu last year for .99 cents. I doubt I would pay full price for Hulu.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire:
We find ourselves watching Netflix more than Prime. I am getting more mileage out of Netflix than Prime.
Keep an eye out for sign up deals. We got Hulu last year for .99 cents. I doubt I would pay full price for Hulu.

Was that monthly for a whole year? Thats excellent! How did you find that deal, check their websites?

Regards, Will G.