SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Darkest Hour" - Winston Churchill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Darkest Hour" - Winston Churchill Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Oldman's performance as WC surpasses Norman Stansfield and is not to be missed. I don't mind the inaccuracies as this is not a documentary, but a dramatization. And Ben Mendelsohn is near unrecognizeable as King George VI. I figure Joe Wright, a Brit, knew exactly what he was doing, and I pretty much automatically see whatever film he directs.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I won’t be seeing it as I dislike dramatizations that take liberties with the character and aura of the main participants. Look what Walt Disney did to David Crockett!

Moreover, a great many dumbos will walk out of the theater with a erroneous idea about this Churchill fellow.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

The bolded quote gets me every time. Every time I hear it, every time I read it, I boast with pride, and maybe even shed a tear. God bless America.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Moreover, a great many dumbos will walk out of the theater with a erroneous idea about this Churchill fellow.

Very true! I wish theaters could be forced to distribute respected history books at the end of films like this and Oliver Stone's JFK. Even better, before the show begins!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won’t be seeing it as I dislike dramatizations that take liberties with the character and aura of the main participants. Look what Walt Disney did to David Crockett!

There's always going to be those who won't take the time to learn the true history behind what is portrayed and dramatized. I'm about half way into the book MG34_Dan mentioned: A Man Called Intrepid, and it's a great read. While the film mentions the aircraft purchase and exchange at the Canadian border, the book completes the transaction.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the film a great deal. The theater was packed for an afternoon show - my buddy and I got the last two seats.

I don't think anyone could come out of the movie thinking poorly of Mr. Churchill.

I have read/studied a bunch about the military side but had no idea of the domestic politics side.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I went to the 0920 showing Saturday. I like it.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I enjoyed the film a great deal. The theater was packed for an afternoon show - my buddy and I got the last two seats.

I don't think anyone could come out of the movie thinking poorly of Mr. Churchill.

I have read/studied a bunch about the military side but had no idea of the domestic politics side.

They may well think, if at all, inaccurately.

Few think ill of Davy Crockett, knowing only of the Walt Disney character. Crockett in real life was nothing like he was portrayed, but that would be hopelessly dull for TV.

Same with Wyatt Earp, Elliot Ness, and other historic figures whose auras were confiscated for crass commercial purposes by entertainment producers.

I prefer reality, when I can figure out what it is.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read “A Man Called Intrepid” many years ago. It was one of the best books on WWII I’ve ever read. Fascinating accounts of US and Britain secret efforts and the people behind those efforts.

The CIA eventually was formed out of the American organization assembled during WWII.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

They may well think, if at all, inaccurately.

Few think ill of Davy Crockett, knowing only of the Walt Disney character. Crockett in real life was nothing like he was portrayed, but that would be hopelessly dull for TV.

Same with Wyatt Earp, Elliot Ness, and other historic figures whose auras were confiscated for crass commercial purposes by entertainment producers.

I prefer reality, when I can figure out what it is.

"Darkest Hour" was not billed as a documentary, and that, it definitely wasn't.

Not sure that a hopelessly dull recitation of the facts would get people interested in Mr. Churchill, but this movie might. My interest in military history, and WWII in particular, was sparked by seeing "The Battle of the Bulge" when I was a kid. That movie - while enjoyable - was egregiously inaccurate.

Since then, I've read a few hundred books on WWII - a fair few written by Mr. C. himself - and not a few contradict one another. Reality is out there, surely, but theatrical movies aren't a good place to expect to find it.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
I read “A Man Called Intrepid” many years ago. It was one of the best books on WWII I’ve ever read. Fascinating accounts of US and Britain secret efforts and the people behind those efforts.

The CIA eventually was formed out of the American organization assembled during WWII.

Lured by this thread, I downloaded the sample, and have now downloaded the book. I was familiar with the events leading up to and the first months of war, Poland, Finland, Norway, but not this back story of why those were perhaps more important than ordinary military considerations let on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
JAllen, you say you downloaded a sample.

Link please?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
JAllen, you say you downloaded a sample.

Link please?

Go to the book listing on Amazon.com. Click on “Look inside” in the left hand area by the picture of the book. Click on “Send this sample to my Kindle”. I use my iPad with Kindle app, but I expect it would work on the Kindle tablets, etc.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
saw this last weekend

Sat night, we were in northern VA working a gunshow and decided to see it Sat night,

we got there an hour and a half early and maybe 15 seats left, got our tickets and went to eat,

looked to be sold out when we got back and seated,

I thought it was very well done, and Oldman should get some type of award for his role,

the strong female character parts were present, but not too overly done, and yes the tube scene where they managed to fill other demographic types was a bit fake,, but overall the movie was good, I thought

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside, just think about this. Our former President had WC's bust removed from the White House. Pretty much says it all.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I saw it yesterday.

I liked it very much, but I'm going to have to get the DVD and watch it a few more times to understand it. Those Brits need to speak more understandable English. Smile

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night and liked it, but have always thought he was a great man.

As for the scene when Churchill is talking with FDR and FDR tells him America will move the planes the Brits already purchased near Canada so they can roll them over the border with horses.

Please tell me that is not factual?

I will be reading A Man Called Intrepid for sure.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Saw it last night and liked it, but have always thought he was a great man.

As for the scene when Churchill is talking with FDR and FDR tells him America will move the planes the Brits already purchased near Canada so they can roll them over the border with horses.

Please tell me that is not factual?

I will be reading A Man Called Intrepid for sure.

Look at the little blurb - "Horse-drawn Bombers"

https://books.google.co.uk/boo...#v=onepage&q&f=false

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I saw it yesterday.

I liked it very much, but I'm going to have to get the DVD and watch it a few more times to understand it. Those Brits need to speak more understandable English. Smile

I wore my hearing aids to the movie it made it easier

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post