SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Darkest Hour" - Winston Churchill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Darkest Hour" - Winston Churchill Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night at home. my wife and I both loved it. Oldman was astonishing.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Oldman was astonishing.

Agreed. There were only a couple points where "Gary" showed through, mainly while worked up and yelling. (Oldman has a distinctive tone when he raises his voice.)

Otherwise, you were only seeing Winston.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it because, unlike many biopics, it does not try to cover the entire span of a man's life. Instead, it concentrates on a critical moment in his life when his will is tested. The British aristocracy was willing to surrender to the Germans. The devastation of the Great War, 20 years earlier, was still fresh for them. They feared everything. Churchill stood fast against the idea, and the film, albeit fiction, captures the drama of moment perfectly.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I note that the Hostiles thread has been resurrected and since I just saw “Darkest Hour” this week, I thought I’d bring this one back too.

I have no doubt that there was too much dramatic license taken about this important month in the life of Churchill, and the world. That said, others may have lived through, and risen to meet, a list of crises similar to that Churchill faced during those roughly three weeks of May, 1940, but I would be surprised.

I really enjoyed it.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I won’t be seeing it as I dislike dramatizations that take liberties with the character and aura of the main participants. Look what Walt Disney did to David Crockett.

What do you consider to be accurate accounts of Crockett?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I watched Darkest Hour and Dunkirk back-to-back. They both happened to be on HBO. Interesting to see two perspectives of the events (dramatized as they may be).

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
I watched Darkest Hour and Dunkirk back-to-back. They both happened to be on HBO. Interesting to see two perspectives of the events (dramatized as they may be).

I did as well this past weekend. Enjoyed them both. Dunkirk a little less than Darkest hour.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:

I did as well this past weekend. Enjoyed them both. Dunkirk a little less than Darkest hour.

“Up your bum!” Big Grin

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it the other night and liked it. It was a movie I forgot about but happened to catch it by luck. I forgot Oldman was the lead character and was shocked to see him in the makeup. He did a good job.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post