SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had to look up who Ray Stevenson was.

I hope they are looking for someone that fits the profile of who Jack Reacher is. I hope they go away from pretty boy, to older and little rugged and weathered.

Maybe Liev Schreiber, he is only 6'3 but that little bit of difference no one would notice.

I like him in the role of Ray Donovan

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
1. Maybe they should have listened years ago when we all poo poo'd the idea of cruise.

2. Maybe they should have chosen a better sequel, or at least not fucked it up

3. Also, it is vanity fair and they suck. In the same article they actually suggest replacing the character with a 6'4" female in the interest of "diversity" shark and water skis ready of course..... morons.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two things. I think the second one sucked amazingly so. It was hard to fathom the two movies were made by the same people the drop off was so bad. Not like there isn't a plethora of great Reacher books to choose from. Idiots.

Second, I believe Tom Cruise himself actually bought the movie rights to the Reacher series. If that is in fact true, it will remain Tom Cruise until his ego allows otherwise.

I hated his initial casting. Then I saw the first movie and it was good so I got past him. The second movie could have been perfectly cast and it would have still sucked.

Yea, the next guy has to be a mountain.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess, like myself, the majority of those watching the movie, have never read the books, so to us, Tom Cruise IS Jack Reacher.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you don’t know what you are missing. Jack Reacher is a 6’5” physically imposing character. Cruise at 5’6” takes a huge element out of the character. That being said he did a good job in the first one. They can hide his lack of stature to a degree. He’s been shorter than many of his leading ladies for years and we were none the wiser.

Do yourself a favor, check out the books. They are all pretty entertaining pretty easy reads.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I have not read a Jack Reacher novel (I'd like to, but want to start on #1, which is hard for me to find electronically), but I have read Diane Capri's "Hunt For Jack Reacher" novellas (written with Lee Child's full approval) and even there, Reacher's physicality is mentioned more than once.

Amazon, first book is Killing Floor.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Jack Reacher is supposed to be big - very big. Like, pro-wrestler or nfl offensive-lineman sized. Part of the fun of the character in the books is that he's usually bigger and stronger than just about anyone he ever comes up against. To transfer that to a movie sort of requires an actor who looks like they could throw a grown man through a wall. Someone like The Rock could be a believable Jack Reacher.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can't watch Cruise in general without being distracted by his offscreen persona - by that I mean all his Scientology connections.

But especially when he supposed to be a character who is noted for his physical size, he is a very poor choice. Shows how powerful he is in Hollywood.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Maybe they should have chosen a better sequel, or at least not fucked it up
The book was very good so it's the latter (i.e. they fucked it up).

Although Cobie Smulders looked smouldering

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I have not read a Jack Reacher novel (I'd like to, but want to start on #1, which is hard for me to find electronically), but I have read Diane Capri's "Hunt For Jack Reacher" novellas (written with Lee Child's full approval) and even there, Reacher's physicality is mentioned more than once.

Amazon, first book is Killing Floor.

It is on kindle, I downloaded it to read again a few months back.

If that wont work I have a paperback of it I will be happy to loan you.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
James Arness.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Jack Reacher is supposed to be big - very big. Like, pro-wrestler or nfl offensive-lineman sized. Part of the fun of the character in the books is that he's usually bigger and stronger than just about anyone he ever comes up against. To transfer that to a movie sort of requires an actor who looks like they could throw a grown man through a wall. Someone like The Rock could be a believable Jack Reacher.

I don't normally like changing ethnicity of established characters (it usually smacks of pandering if not actually patronizing) but I would totally accept The Rock as Reacher.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
So would I. The Rock would work well.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I don't watch James Bond because of the actor. I watch James Bond because of the character. I wish the Jack Reacher character were played by actors who want to be the character, and therefore are physically like the author's depiction. Why can't we enjoy serial movies where the lead character is played by more than one actor? It would make choosing the actor so much easier, for both producer and actor.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

As long as we're using the time machine, go back and get a younger Dolph Lundgren.

You need to have someone who can act, too. Roll Eyes

He could pull it off far better than Cruise.

Maybe Dave Bautista, who did decently in Bushwick. Or maybe a break-out role for Randy Orton of WWE. It worked for Dwayne Johnson.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I agree, Tom Cruise was a very poor choice to play Reacher. The characters size directly impacts the reasons he can do what he does, and Tom just doesn’t cut it, not beliveable to do all the fighting scenes.
He didn’t do too bad of a job in the first movie however, but you had to kind of forget he was supposed to be this huge imposing man.
Kind of like the idea of the Rock in this role. Or Chris.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Reacher's character is very much tied into his size. He's difficult to miss or hide and much of the novels revolve around him being physically easily identifiable by his size. Tom Cruise is just a shrimpy guy and not Reacher, not at all. Ray Stevenson would be perfect as Reacher, he's a big, rugged looking guy.

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I finally saw the first film last night and enjoyed it. Sounds like I ought to skip the second.

As for Tom Cruise, I think he did a good job, but agreed, Reacher is supposed to be big.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
... so to us, Tom Cruise IS Jack Reacher.

Yup.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK, I've read over 10 Jack Reacher novels. I think that a "drifter wantering the US at random and finding trouble" is just lazy writing.

PS, I agree that Cruise is too small.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post