SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher Login/Join 
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted
They are planning to bring Reacher to the small screen.

“Cruise, for all his talent, didn’t have that physicality,” Reacher author Lee Child told the BBC. “I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He’s a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun. But ultimately, the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important, and it’s a big component of who he is . . . the idea is that when Reacher walks into a room, you’re all a little nervous just for that first minute.” Representatives for Cruise have not yet responded to Vanity Fair’s request for comment.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hol...her-lee-child-reboot

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Obviously

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have not read a Jack Reacher novel (I'd like to, but want to start on #1, which is hard for me to find electronically), but I have read Diane Capri's "Hunt For Jack Reacher" novellas (written with Lee Child's full approval) and even there, Reacher's physicality is mentioned more than once.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t think any actor could have saved that abortion of a second movie. It was formulaic garbage

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo from Rome) would be a perfect Jack Reacher.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My friend Chance Kelly would make a great Jack Reacher.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I don’t think any actor could have saved that abortion of a second movie. It was formulaic garbage

100%. I still can’t believe Tom and Paula put that out. It was horrible. How he can do those two space films that were pretty good then JR2 escapes me. It was so bad it made Taken look like an Oscar winner.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
I second Ray Stephenson. He would make an excellent Reacher.

Posts: 764 | Registered: January 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Cruise should never have been cast in the first one...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I agree that Chance Kelly would also make a good Jack Reacher. Shit, Danny DeVito would be better than Tom Cruise.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Get a time machine and cast Liev Schrieber from about 10 years ago. Now is actually ok, but he'd just be playing Ray Donnovan.

Joe Manganiello has the look if you dirty him up a bit.

I'll be honest though, the Reacher in my head looks a lot like a younger Dave Bautista without the ridiculous tattoos.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Get a time machine and cast Liev Schrieber from about 10 years ago. Now is actually ok, but he'd just be playing Ray Donnovan.

Joe Manganiello has the look if you dirty him up a bit.

I'll be honest though, the Reacher in my head looks a lot like a younger Dave Bautista without the ridiculous tattoos.

As long as we're using the time machine, go back and get a younger Dolph Lundgren.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

As long as we're using the time machine, go back and get a younger Dolph Lundgren.

You need to have someone who can act, too. Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

You need to have someone who can act, too. Roll Eyes

Liev Schreiber and Joe Manganiello couldn't pull off blonde hair. Dolph Lundgren can act well enough to play Jack Reacher.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I could see Chris Hemsworth in the role.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Cruise should never have been cast in the first one...

I never read any of the books and I agree. He didn’t sell the role, he sold Tom Cruise. Whatever. That Chance Kelly guy posted above looks like who I picture as what Jack Reacher is apparently supposed to be. If that dude walked into the room with that expression, it would give me pause.

Chance, they went pretty boy with Cruise working within the age bracket of the character and that fell flat. So let’s go younger? Lol, I dunno, man. I’m coming down heavily on the “replace Cruise with Helmsworth and I extra still won’t watch it. Big Grin

I’m in crappy shape and that pic of surfer Thor does zero to intimidate me. However, that Marine is not someone I would ever mess with. Wimpy cute muscles vs. imposing physical presence.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
I vote for Chuck Norris.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
According to Google, Tom Cruise is 5' 7". Chuck Norris towers over him at 5' 10". I'm going with "nope." lol

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Ray Stevenson is exactly who I picture when I read the books.

It's a shame his Punisher movie was a suck fest, because given a good script i think he would be an awesome Frank Castle

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ liked Thomas Jane better. Just saying...

As to Reacher, I think either Kelly or Stephenson would work. But I figured Reacher to be younger than either (late 30s-early 40s).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2738 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post