SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Personal audio reference albums and songs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal audio reference albums and songs? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
What are your favorites when it comes to listen to a good audio setup?

For the sake of keeping it simple, what about 3 albums.

1. Jazz/acoustic. Instruments as natural as possible.
2. Classic.
3. Pop/Rock.

And a single song/tune. The one that has all you need.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

2. Classic.
3. Pop/Rock.

0-0

Easy peasy

1. Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien. Or, Jeff Beck/Jeff Beck
2. William Tell Overture - Austrian Philharmonic (1973 I think)
3. Queen - Day at the Races

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
1. Too many options, especially between acoustic only or vocals. If forced to pick one, off the cuff maybe joe pass virtuoso.

2. Same. Maybe Yo Yo Ma Bach cello suites

3. Don’t use pop rock for testing. But again if forced to pick something, maybe old school like Creedence greatest hits.

ETA: ohhh, queen is a good choice. Maybe their platinum collection.

ETA: singular is very limiting. Want to test things like accuracy, range, soundstage / imaging, etc. usually need different references for each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For the single piece, my goto is Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach, on a pipe organ of course. The low pedal note at the beginning will put any subwoofer system through its paces.

Ooh, but Queen sounds good, too!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Too many to list but I’ll mix album and songs

1. John Coltrane - Blue Train
2. Samuel Barber - Adagio For Strings
3. Daft Punk - Homework or Prince - Purple Rain

One track, Justice - Genesis or Waters of Nazareth. I used to tune concert venues from 2000 seating capacity up to 10,000 with those two tracks every weekend during sound check. If you have ever seen Crazy Heart where Bad Blake is bitching at the “sound guy” during sound check. It was exactly that. Either track will rip a sound system to shit if played loud and not up to the task.

My favorite is bi-radial horns with powerful subs where the kick drum sounds and feels like the tightest trampoline on Earth. Tight.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Keeping it simple:

1) for assessing system capabilities: Mannheim Steamroller "Fresh Aire I."

Dynamic range, lots of high end and plenty of drums/bass. Example track from the album:

This was one of my go-tos when assembling high end systems. If this doesn't sound amazing, there's something suboptimal in the setup. Could be as simple as speaker placement in the room...or an issue with the equipment.

It doesn't have vocals so it's not enough by itself to be the entire story but it is a key part of the diagnostic/assessment.

2) IMO, to cover vocals, here's really no substitute for playing something from a well-mastered live album of something you love and which you've personally listened to live.

3) Classical music. Same as above.

Reasons for #2 and #3 recommendations being as follows: other than live performances, every time you've listened to something, it's been through some other system.

Maybe it sounded good when played through that system, but it's quite possible that system was only scratching the surface of what a better system would have been able to do. If you haven't listened to it live, you have no real reference to compare.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Had to limit choices to keep it simple.

That is why i "suggested" jazz or instrumental so you can simply compare a recording vs your mental image of instruments - voice included - sound.

Good choices here.
Blue Train is my second option after Cannonball Adderley's Something Else. But the piano on Something else doesn't sound as it should. IMO.

Will need to listen to Satriani. Big fan of Jeff Beck but honestly do not understand how it made it to the first category Wink

JSB for the win! My first choice as well. I still picture the begining of Rollerball when I hear it. None of the versions i've got at home can compare.
For the piano and the organ, Yes, Awaken from the Going for the One album is my runner up.

Queen, there's a surprise!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The absolute best audio Engineer I ever worked with used this song alone to set up and evaluate audio systems. He said there was nothing better for the purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXy2lWgpxM

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I usually used two when I was auditioning speakers. A low end is fine, but how does a system handle a fast very quick low end burst? For that I used Supertramp No In Between from Brother Where You Bound. Second, for subtle low end and highs and everything in between from the Star Trek Motion Picture soundtrack The Enterprise. This features a 6 foot bass drum and all sorts of other percussion bells that tests the high end clarity.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy The Eagles belting out Seven Bridges Road.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1812 Overture (with cannons).

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Standing in My Shoes Leo Kottke
Opera Without Words Kostelanetz
Santana III (The Outstretched Hand)

Single song. Unlimited possibilities, but right now I’ll say, When the Levee Breaks, Zeppelin

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I really like Larks' Tongue in Aspic by King Crimson for seeing what a system can do. Easy Money on the album is really great!

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan but my son just bought Off the Wall on vinyl and we listened to it together. It may just be the best sounding album I have heard.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
What are your favorites when it comes to listen to a good audio setup?

For the sake of keeping it simple, what about 3 albums.

2. Classic.
3. Pop/Rock.

And a single song/tune. The one that has all you need.

0-0

For cds:

1) Rippingtons Live in LA
2) Classic...Gladiator Soundtrack if that qualifies
3) Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many. In a contemporary vein a couple of my favorites are Patricia Barber's Companion (tracks The Beat Goes On, Use Me and Black Magic Woman) and Phil Keaggy's The Master and The Musician (tracks Mouthpiece and Follow Me Up).

For vocals Dido has some great tracks and the Cranberries "Zombie" can be great on a revealing system. You should be able to hear her taking breaths in while singing.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allison Kraus and Union Station
Queen Bohemian Rhapsody Live at Wembley
Saving Private Ryan - opening scene
1812 Overture with cannons. Boston pops

That’s what I use when ever I rebalance mine or setup a friends system

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Disque de demonstration Focal - No. 6

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Strawberry Soup by Don Ellis.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post