SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Edgar Allen Poe on PBS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edgar Allen Poe on PBS Login/Join 
posted
Anyone watch "Buried Alive" on American Masters?

It's an excellent short biography of the poet and short story author who died at age forty in mysterious circumstances.

They also explain why the writer of his original obituary performed a "character assassination".

Poe in real life was not at all how he is generally remembered.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that, but I'll make it a point to watch it. I enjoy his writing quite a bit, and don't really know much about the man himself. It sounds interesting.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
It was well done. This was the first biography of several that I'd read or seen that suggested Poe's legacy of instability was due more to character assassination in his obituary by a jealous contemporary than reality. If true, it's certainly an unfortunate capstone to a brilliant and influential writer's life.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I did and didn't know about his last trip, which from what was presented, was quite mysterious. I mean things like his clothes, etc.

That and that jealous rival who pilloried Poe after his death with that obituary. What an asshole.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I watched an episode recently and liked it, I like how Poe is portrayed as a younger guy, all the pictures and depictions of him in history make him seem old but he was a pretty young guy who died before he was even 40 IIRC.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post