SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For Children of the 80s....Nena - 99 Luftballons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Children of the 80s....Nena - 99 Luftballons Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
If you grew up in the 80s watching MTV like me, then you knew Nena and "99 Luftballons."

I came across this gem on YouTube - a 50 year old Nena performing at a festival in Berlin. Solid gold. She looks and sounds great.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
That was awesome! I had a crush on her back in the day. After seeing that vid, I can confirm that I still do! Man she's beautiful and still sounds fantastic. Thanks for posting Cool

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks for posting that. I'm in Germany on a trip now - that video could not have come at a better time! I like the German version better than the English one. It showed up in the movie Atomic Blonde if anyone saw it.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Just don't look too close, because she's facelifted to the hilt.

She recently had a bit of a comeback with new songs as well as redoing her classics. In the video to last year's "Genau jetzt" (right now) she showed up with her mother Ursula and daughter Larissa.

Of the redos, I liked her 2002 duet of "Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann" with Kim Wilde.

Speaking of Kim Wilde, I found her new take on "You Came" from 2009 extremely fitting. A couple years back she was hosting an 80s music show on a Berlin radio station; I would have listened to it even if she hadn't played a single song. Such a cute voice.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Back in high school the only thing people would talk about concerning Nena was her unshaven armpits on a live TV appearance. Philistines!

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Back in high school the only thing people would talk about concerning Nena was her unshaven armpits on a live TV appearance. Philistines!

I was just gonna note that she shaved her pits finally.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. She is just...hot. Love her face her body her voice her accent her delivery her movements her...exuberance. Reminds me of, oh, yeah, that video years ago.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
She can't be 50 because that would mean that I'm...ugh. Frown

Had a yuge crush on Nena back then. That song cracked me up though as I had just finished two years of German the year before and I didn't understand what in the hell she was saying other than being able to pick out the occasional word here and there. Thanks for nothing Mr. Lopp! You didn't teach me crap.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it was used in "Grosse Point Blank", one of my favorite "fun" movies lol. Strongly agree with furlough, original German version beats the hell out of the English.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Agree on the Deutch version is best but did you know this song is about nuclear proliferation?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Here's a handy translation of the German version. Yes, I too prefer the Deutsch one.

The English version, 99 Red Balloons, with completely different lyrics, has a couple good moments however...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post