SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Uncut Gems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uncut Gems Login/Join 
posted
SO...was I supposed to feel exhausted and, frustrated after watching this?

Was it the point of the movie makers, to make the audience feel the stress-filled, frustration roller-coaster that Howard's family and associates have when they're around him?

I knew a guy like Howard in college, he was the student-bookie who was horrible at it, truly a schmuck who tried to act like a manic stock-trader. Sandler embodied that stereotype.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
A lot of agita watching that movie.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I actually really liked it. I agree it fills the viewer with anxiety but even though anxiety isn’t a great feeling I was impressed at how well the movie made me experience an emotion. Movies don’t tend to do that to me.

The only thing that pissed me off was that I rented it on Amazon on Memorial Day, which just so happens to be the exact day that it got released on Netflix. I’ll never rent a movie again without looking online to find out what is being released soon on Netflix. Which I should have been doing already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I thought it was ok. I had captions on and think maybe that reduced the potential frustration. It helped me feel a little more removed, which was probably a good thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Agree with what everyone has said about movie and to add that I was a bit surprised about the ending.
Enjoyed it though.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The same directors did ‘Good Time’ and that is a phenomenal film. Uncut Gems was just not nearly as good.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Remarkably abrasive and manic, pretty much disagreeable characters top to bottom. Still, the film did what it set out to do well, I'm guessing a perfect ending.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Spent $3.00 on this last December. I think I fell asleep.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I started watching it on Netflix last week and turned it off half way through I thought it was so bad.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I started watching it on Netflix last week and turned it off half way through I thought it was so bad.

I think I made it about quarter of the way through. Was absolutely terrible.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
IMHO skip this.

Holy shit I don't know the last time I saw a movie so poorly edited. Not to mention predicated on someone being such an extraordinary moron that it makes you more frustrated than intrigued. WTaF?

Did find one mention of movie in another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Adam Sandler.

Give 'Uncut Gems' a chance.

I think Keystoner must have been high when he wrote this, or I'm just a movie-idiot. Could be both of course.

IMDB gives it 7.5 stars. 100% of that must be from the ass-shot mid movie because that's the only thing I remember without wincing.

{almost a strong enough opinion to make me put in WYD section!}

w/r/t the ending, I suspect there was film left on the floor. If you didn't notice (trying to avoid spoilers but Jesus after reading this and above who would watch it?) near the very end while the Russian grabbed his just-previous boss to settle some things the screwdriver fell out of the electronic door lock and they zoomed in on that. I suspect that ended up with them "fishbowled" again on the way out, with or without the keys.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Keystoner must have been high when he wrote this, or I'm just a movie-idiot. Could be both of course.

Perhaps.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Perhaps.

Let me get this straight: It's either one or the other or both, meaning not neither. Well, I wasn't high, so... Wink

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me get this straight: It's either one or the other or both, meaning not neither. Well, I wasn't high, so...

D'OH! My Basic Reasoning professor wouldn't be impressed with the box I maneuvered myself into!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrible film. My wife and I both walked out, disgusted.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I think I watched about 15 minutes of it a few weekends ago.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post