SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    My music interests are all over the place, Sea Shanty edition.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My music interests are all over the place, Sea Shanty edition. Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
So I guess shanties have seen a small resurgence because of Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I've never played that game. I was looking up Irish Drinking songs and the rabbit hole took me to sea shanties. I like the cadence of them and plan on trying to run to some of them.

The Dreadnoughts - Sally Brown

The Dreadnoughts - Randy Dandy-Oh

The Dreadnoughts - Roll the Woodpile Down

The Dreadnoughts - Eliza Lee (I guess a Bulgine is slang for a railroad steam engine. I guess a lot of sailors found work on the railroads and this is also a well known railroad song.)

The Dreadnoughts - Old Maui

The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem - Haul Away Joe

Bob Neuwirth - Haul On the Bowline

Santy Anno

These technically aren't shanties, but still good songs.

Stan Rogers - Barrett's Privateers (Talk about a commanding voice, I guess Stan Rogers is hailed as a Canadian Hero and many of his songs are unofficial anthems. He died at 33.)

The Pogues with the Dubliners - The Irish Rover

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I like the cadence of them and plan on trying to run to some of them
Barrett's Privateers

What's that? You'd like a version with a bit more "crunch" to it, to get you pumped up for running? Well, if you insist... Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YT8HDlCp4

(Heh... Pirate metal. Big Grin)

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good one...

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Work songs. The cadence dictates the work rythym. Used on ships, in cotton fields, on chain gangs, anywhere work rhythm is important to productivity.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The music on the high seas was one of the best parts of Black Flag.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to see Stan Rogers in concert (I was a little kid but my father was very involved in the folk music scene) and I watched him perform, Barrett's Privateers (a song he wrote so he could have his own shanty) and he also did Rolling Down to Old Maui. He had a huge booming voice that could fill a room.

In the linked video of Barrett's Privateers the long-haired gentleman seen in many pictures is Stan's brother Garnett Rogers.

He is remembered as a hero in Canada, New Newfoundland because of his heroism during an airline disaster in which he lost his life. I can still remember hearing of his death on the morning radio.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post