SIGforum
Peace Talks by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) SPOILERS!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4660063274

July 14, 2020, 05:01 PM
cheesegrits
Peace Talks by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) SPOILERS!
For anyone who enjoys the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, the long-awaited next book, Peace Talks, is out today (including the audio book read by James Marsters). I hope it lives up to the hype. Smile

The next Dresden book, Battle Ground, will be out on September 29 this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cheesegrits,
July 14, 2020, 05:11 PM
DSgrouse
I am in the middle of Thaumaturge by Terry Mancour.

Peace talks is next on the list. Then I have 3 Michael A Rothman books to polish off.
July 15, 2020, 07:17 AM
daikyu
I started the Dresden files way late but I caught up a while ago. Not quite a GRR Martin wait for this book but close.
July 15, 2020, 07:20 AM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I started the Dresden files way late but I caught up a while ago. Not quite a GRR Martin wait for this book but close.

A big part of the issue was life-related. A big part was this was 2 books. When they split them into the two books this year it required a pretty hefty re-write of both. So take that 4-5 years, and divide it by 2
July 15, 2020, 09:02 AM
rsbolo
I did not know that DS, good information.

So far, WOW! Peace talks is excellent.

July 15, 2020, 12:13 PM
dsiets
Placed a hold on the digital version through the library. I guess I can wait a little longer.
July 18, 2020, 10:23 PM
copaup
I'm really not enjoying the way he's writing McCoy in this one. Seems a pretty extreme shift in basic character.
July 19, 2020, 03:05 PM
ensigmatic
Thanks, cheesegrits! Both ordered.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
July 20, 2020, 12:12 PM
rsbolo
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I'm really not enjoying the way he's writing McCoy in this one. Seems a pretty extreme shift in basic character.

It is an interesting look into Ebenezer's psyche. I wonder if there is a game afoot.

July 20, 2020, 02:42 PM
copaup
I know Butcher had some personal issues that delayed the book. I wonder if some of his anger is bleeding through Ebenezer. Otherwise it looks like we might be getting a look at wizardly dementia. It's just not the McCoy I've been reading since Storm Front. It's more like Morgan is back.

I can get the Warden's closing ranks on Harry. He's acting weird, clearly isn't telling them everything, and is beholden to Winter. McCoy raised Harry, knows most of the real story, and has always been a staunch supporter. I can see him not agreeing, but to be this...heated...about it just strikes me wrong. I'm sure by the time the next book is out in September all will be made clear.
July 20, 2020, 03:31 PM
DSgrouse
I have not listened yet. One thing to keep in mind. McCoy drove his daughter out. (or at least) that is one way to look at it. The second thing to consider. You don't become the black staff walking around with old mother winters walking cane without being a major badass. He is in the same field of murder for hire as Kincade.

He also has been the most sketchy in my mind. Think back to his lecture about his master back in Turncoat. He knew simon petrovitch. he is someone Simon would have let in. His distaste for vampires strikes me as much the same way as an addict denies his drug. He is almost over hating on vampires. It would not surprise me at all if the butcher has McCoy be addicted to red court venom.
July 21, 2020, 09:47 AM
copaup
I LIKE that idea. Withdrawl could make one...cranky. Especially towards the person that made it impossible to get your fix.
July 23, 2020, 08:39 AM
rsbolo
What did you guys make of the limited/no interaction between Harry and The Archive? No Kincaide around? Is Ivy all grown up? Her feet must now reach the pedals.

July 25, 2020, 01:45 PM
copaup
Without getting TOO
spoilery, I think the lack of Kincaide will prove an important plot point in BattleGround. The Archive has a very specific purpose in the Dresdenverse which is tied directly to Harry’s role as Starborn.

I gave Peace Talks a second reading and have decided it is clearly only half a book and unless Battle Ground is enormous I’m not clear on why it got split into its own novel. As it stands, it’s my least favorite of the series. I don’t like the new look Mccoy (though that is likely a lead up to something). I don’t like that nothing really gets resolved. I don’t like the Thomas mystery that never even gets addressed. I don’t like the “White Council doesn’t trust Harry; Version 17” plot.

I do like new and improved Frenemy Lara. Keep her around. Baron Marcone is a badass. Please don’t make him turn heel and become a mustache twirling villain.
September 29, 2020, 02:43 AM
creslin
Bump to remind that Battleground is out now!

This is where my signature goes.
September 29, 2020, 08:05 AM
copaup
My pre-order showed up on my Kindle this morning. I'll get to it this weekend while I'm off and will update my opinion of Peace Talks accordingly.
September 29, 2020, 08:54 AM
JohnCourage
Butcher needs to take a break on that series and write the next Cinder Spires book!

That being said, I need to catch up on the Dresden books so thanks for the motivation.

JC
September 29, 2020, 09:59 PM
creslin
Well... I finished Battle Ground.

I won't give spoilers - but keep this link handy for when you get to the part:

This is where my signature goes.
September 29, 2020, 10:31 PM
ensigmatic
I finished Peace Talks more than a month ago. Battle Ground arrived from Amazon today.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 02, 2020, 03:14 PM
rsbolo
Let's keep this alive. I'll be finishing BG tomorrow.

I'd love to have more discussions.