Find
Notify
Tools

The Shield Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I never saw the earlier seasons. I think I came in at Season 3. The entire series is on sale on iTunes for $40, so I bought it. It's amazing how good the first episode is, though I'm saddened by the fact that's it's 4:3 aspect ratio and not widescreen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Excellent series. I came into it late and had to catch up via Netflix way back when Netflix was dvds. It's easy to forget what a bastard Vic is and what he did in the first episode.

Very worth the binge.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I miss The Shield. There was talk for a time about a feature length movie, after the series ended. But it appears that is not ever going to happen. Shame. Great series!

Merry Christmas Vic! Wink Wherever you are. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great series. A friend and I were discussing the other day. FX really pushed the envelope with what they could get away with.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t the guy who played the black gay cop go to prison for murdering his wife a few years ago?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Only problem is you'll want a 4506 after watching it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite series.

It had a good run; I never thought there was a low point in the quality of the series for the duration.

Consistently good, many layers, evolving baddies.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Only problem is you'll want a 4506 after watching it

Problem?

In my opinion, the greatest TV series ever made.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Funny, I had forgotten till I read the above, the 4506-1 is what caused me to find the Shield series.

I was at the local indoor range shooting my 4506-1 with adjustable sights. It was my duty gun at the time. I had a black leather jacket on (as did everyone working RHD) and my head was shaved bald.

Two young men in the range stall next to me kept peeking over while I was shooting. I finally asked them if I could help them. "Dude, you look just like Vic Mackey!" they replied. I said, "Who the hell is Vic Mackey?".

They told me about the FX program and when it was on. I turned it on the next time it aired. I was hooked from then on. While I was watching my then wife walked through the room. "That guy looks like you." I just smiled and said Yeah, I get that a lot lately. Wink Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
If you liked The Shield,, it's highly likely you'll like Braquo. It's a French crime series which ran about 4 seasons as I recall and it's rather like The Shield on steroids. If you can tolerate subtitles, it's well worth watching.

I think I watched it on Netflix some time back but I last saw it listed on HULU.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
There were two FX series that I saw from the beginning that hooked me.

One was the first episode of Justified. When Raylan shot Tommy Bucks in the first five minutes, I knew I'd watch that show till the end.

The Shield was the other. At the end of the first episode when Vic shot Terry, I was hooked. It obviously wasn't going to be your standard crime drama. Although the Shield disappointed me at times with some of the story lines, I stuck with it to the end. The biggest disappointment I had was the death of Lem.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most realistic police show ever IMHO. When I hear people say that a cop friend told them that Barney Miller was the most realistic cop show I just chuckle a little inside and think to myself that they never saw The Shield.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post