Find
Notify
Tools

Rakka Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
This short film is written and directed by Neill Blomkamp, who also did District 9, Elysium, and Chappie. It is a sci-fi action movie very much like District 9, but with different alien antagonists. I believe this is an episodic format, with future releases that will continue the story. Blomkamp was supposed to direct a Halo movie but was denied, so he made District 9. He was supposed to direct an Alien movie but again was denied, so now he's working on this. Hollywood really needs to just let this guy do what he wants because he's amazing.

https://youtu.be/VjQ2t_yNHQs

The website:
https://www.oatsstudios.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Orguss,

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was extremely bummed to hear that he was ultimately denied the opportunity to do Aliens 5.

From what I read though, it may also free him up to do a sequel to District 9 now.

I'd still rather see him do the next Aliens movie, particularly the sequel to Aliens. God, I want it so bad!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Hollywood really needs to just let this guy do what he wants because he's amazing.

Agreed, but I'd hope that a bigger budget and Hollywood influence wouldn't ruin it. The last part is what worries me most.

Thanks for posting this Orguss.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
WOW! What would Aliens have looked like had he done it!

That was pretty creepy!.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very entertaining dark sci fi.

Really enjoyed it. Get some Ripley. Big Grin

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you look back on his work, he's constantly taking not-so-subtle jabs at Hollywood for shooting down his opportunities. There are a lot of things in Elysium that reminded me of Halo. And now with this short film series, he's using Sigourney Weaver to dig at the people who wouldn't let him film an Alien movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, just watched that video. Am I the only one reading too much into a not so subtle leftist message that I'm seeing in this movie?

An evil, foreign occupying force with superior technology, pumping methane into the atmosphere causing the planet to warm and the oceans to rise. A dirty, insurgent force using suicide bombers and roadside IED's to win small victories, but then they are retaliated against with overwhelming technological force. The insurgents capturing and beheading their enemy. The humans (read it, muslims) way of life and beliefs dismissed and threatened. The movie is named Rakka for chrissakes. Etc, etc.

I seem to recall District 9 and Elysium pushing leftist messages as well.

The movie despite all that (despite all my admittedly possible false perceptions) still looks like sci-fi awesomeness.

And man, Sigourney Weaver still would've rocked in another role as Ripley.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Woah. That was cool. Looking forward to more!

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Wow, I enjoyed that.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched it, I liked it....it was very dis-jointed, but it served as a good intro to get up to speed with this world, besides Ripley!

Looking forward to the next installments.

Hey, as far as the leftist bent is concerned, at least this threat actually is destroying the environment...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a much grittier, much better done Falling Skies.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
District 9 is an Apartheid allegory shrouded in alien sci-fi.

Elysium is about severe income inequalities that exist now, set into the near future.

I'd say there's clearly a pattern emerging.

I like the films well enough, but that's what they're really about.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hmmm, just watched that video. Am I the only one reading too much into a not so subtle leftist message that I'm seeing in this movie?

Nope. Blomkamp is very much a lefty, born in S.Africa he saw all the before & after problems with apartheid growing up, went to film school in Canada, then returned. All his films are wrapped in socio-political allegory, there's no coincidence there. While I appreciate and enjoy his films due to it's gritty, unpolished style and feel, and I believe he's one of the most underrated director/producers in Hollywood, he is very much a lefty.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Rakka.... When the walls fell

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Didn't see this thread until today but stumbled on the video on youtube yesterday and enjoyed it.

Since cutting cable back to bare minimum I've spent more time looking around youtube for movies. I've found some very interesting ones of late. For example enjoyed a Russian SciFi movie called Attraction although the translation was somewhat inept and comical.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch of short films on YouTube that I've enjoyed. Mostly European and Russian work.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I quit looking for messages a long time ago. Seems all Hollyweird is leftist. Now I just want to be entertained for my money. That's hard enough to come by.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the films well enough, but that's what they're really about.

Wha?? Films are about stuff? like ideas and junk? must be a commie plot.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I quit looking for messages a long time ago. Seems all Hollyweird is leftist. Now I just want to be entertained for my money. That's hard enough to come by.

RMD

I notice that right away too. And I noticed myself mentally putting it aside in a most routine way.

All of life is a compromise isn't it?

The way I put up with lefty BS in films is allegorical to all the BS I would put up with earlier in life in order to have sex, especially on a regular basis. It's all a trade off.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thank you to Balzé for politicizing this thread. Mad