SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    June 22, 1941 - Germany invades Russia
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

June 22, 1941 - Germany invades Russia Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Look up the Town of Herlong California and see who it is named after. That's where I got my information.

Ah, I see your confusion. Herlong, CA was named after Captain Henry W. Herlong, the first United States Army ordnance officer to die in World War II, when his plane crashed on June 22nd, 1941.

This means that Captain Herlong was the first (specifically) Army Ordnance Officer to die in WW2, not the first US soldier killed in WW2 overall.

Even before the previously mentioned Captain Losey in April 1940, there were two US sailors who it could be argued could be the first US servicemen to die during WW2.

The commonly accepted starting point for WW2 is September 1st, 1939, with the German invasion of Poland, but some historians argue that the start date should be July 7th, 1937, with the Japanese invasion of China.

In that light, the first US servicemen to die in WW2 would be Storekeeper First Class Charles L. Ensminger and Coxswain Edgar C. Hulsebus, US Navy sailors who died on December 12th, 1937, when the US Navy gunboat USS Panay was attacked and sunk by Japanese forces while anchored in the Yangtze River outside Nanking, China.

This was 2.5 years prior to Captain Losey's death, and 4 years prior to Pearl Harbor.

Posts: 20927 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Look up the Town of Herlong California and see who it is named after. That's where I got my information.

Best to double-check your info before crossing swords with Rogue. The guy knows stuff, and when he doesn't, he knows where to find it. Big Grin

Posts: 9371 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20927 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it seems because Capt. Herlong died on the same day as Germany invading Russia I made an assumption the two were connected.... kind of what we do.
And I wasn't even drinking....

Subject change... kind like what the anti gunners do with a lot of 'facts'.

Posts: 383 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post