SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cover songs you didn't know were covers.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cover songs you didn't know were covers. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Yes, we do this thread every few years.

Here's one I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know until today. (or if I did I forgot)

And what's worse it was released by other artists before Rod Stewart's "famous" version.

Whatch'a got?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Blinded by the Light.

[/thread] Razz

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatch'a got?

Tina Turner Proud Mary.
Elton John Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
All Along the Watchtower written by Bob Dylan

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Highway 61 Revisited. For years I thought Johnny Winter "owned" that song. Actually a Bob Dylan composition.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
"California Man"- Cheap Trick. For years, had no idea it was first performed by The Move (earlier Jeff Lynne band)

"Woodstock"- Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Took me years to learn that Joni Mitchell wrote it.

"Dazed and Confused"- Led Zeppelin. Thought to be originally a Yardbird's tune, later discovered to be originally written and performed by Jake Holmes, even though Zep's version is a little different lyrically. Page didn't write it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...GDc&feature=emb_logo

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Bang a Gong, thought Power Station was the original for years.
Cum on Feel the Noize, only round out a few years ago Slade was the original band.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So many songs that Brits re-envisioned, turned around and sent back to the U.S., where the music actually came from.

Example: Cream—“Crossroads” and “Spoonful.” I didn’t know the true origins of those songs until much later.

Elvis and “Hound Dog.” Big Mama Thorton? Who’s that?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Bang a Gong, thought Power Station was the original for years.

Funny, I love the T-Rex original, it is iconic, but I never knew there was a cover of the song

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You Can Keep Your Hat On

Joe Cocker

it was written by Randy Newman who did an amazingly awful hack at it

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Blinded by the Light.

Interestingly, the first time I heard MMEB's version of this song, I said to myself, "I wonder if Bruce Springsteen wrote that?"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Different Drum, recorded by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys. Mike Nesmith (Monkees) wrote it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, that reminds me that the Monkees' hit I'm a Believer was written by Neil Diamond.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
A Boy Named Sue was originally a Shel Silverstein poem.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here's one I discovered years ago. "Love Hurts" by Nazareth, you can hear it on TV commercials. But here is the original, blew my mind at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFE2SnliiV0

Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
So many songs that Brits re-envisioned, turned around and sent back to the U.S., where the music actually came from.

Example: Cream—“Crossroads” and “Spoonful.” I didn’t know the true origins of those songs until much later.

Elvis and “Hound Dog.” Big Mama Thorton? Who’s that?

I know who she is only because she wrote the song "Ball and Chain".

"Ball and Chain" was covered by Big Brother And The Holding Company, sung by Janis Joplin...obviously. It's on the album "Cheap Thrills", one of the first albums I bought.

It's my favorite song of hers, and the group. I didn't know it was a a cover when I first heard it.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Rosanne Cash - Tennessee Flat Top Box

Written and originally performed by Johnny Cash.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baby, Now that I've found you by Alison Krause and Union Station.

My older sister and I used to sing it all the time,together back in " 68" and "69 " when the foundations introduced it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHhLiRkxNM
I had sung along with A.K.a U.S. for two years , ( back in "95") before I figured out that it was the same song.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whitney Houston singing I will always love you. I just found out not long ago that Dolly Parton wrote it and recorded it in 1973.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post