SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cover songs you didn't know were covers.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cover songs you didn't know were covers. Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="401" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8AT[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Learn something new everyday.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Rosanne Cash - Tennessee Flat Top Box

Written and originally performed by Johnny Cash.

She didn't know it either. Smile
I recall seeing an interview with her where she said when she wanted to record it for an album, they had to research the song and she was surprised to learn her father had written it. Understandable, in the 40s, 50's, 60's in country music, EVERYBODY did a version of dang near every song. lol

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

This. I only found out about a year ago.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Green Manalishi was originally Fleetwood Mac, not Judas Priest.

Someday, maybe it has already happened, most folks won't know that Nine Inch Nails did Hurt originally and not Johnny Cash.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I'm So Glad by Skip James. For years I thought this was a Deep Purple song, then I thought it was Cream, but now know it was Skip James.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Black Magic Woman was written by Fleetwood Mac in 1968. Santana covered it in 1970.

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Someday Soon“ by Judy Collins was written and recorded several years earlier by Ian Tyson. Tyson was a rodeo cowboy who after being injured, learned to play guitar and became a folksinger in the early 60s (Ian and Sylvia)

“Four Strong Winds” recorded by Neil young written and recorded years earlier by Ian Tyson.

Tyson was able to finance his horse and cattle ranch in Alberta with the residuals from the covers.

“Pancho and Lefty” written by Townes Van Sandt and covered by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard.

“LA Freeway“ by Guy Clark covered by Jerry Jeff Walker.

“Every Grain of Sand” written by Dylan covered by Emmy Lou Harris.

“House of the Rising Sun” was a traditional song with many versions including that by Dave Van Ronk. Dylan’s version was recorded by the Animals with some change. Dylan’s version was from the female view (house of prostitution) vs the house of gambling.

We could write all day listing cover songs written by Bob Dylan. He has written hundreds that have been recorded.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Most people don't realize the The Tokens The Lion Sleeps Tonight is based on a much older song.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Ben E.King, Spanish Harlem.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unchained Melody was written in 1954 by Alex North and Hy Zaret. Zaret originally declined, he was too busy painting his house, but was eventually persuaded. Thank Goodness. In 1955 several artists- Al Hibbler, Les Baxter, Jimmy Young, Roy Hamilton, Liberace (Liberace?!?!) - made the charts in the US or UK with versions of the song, and has since been performed by hundreds of artists including Harry Belefonte at the 1956 Academy Awards, Elvis, and Vito and the Salutations in 1963. You can skip the Vito and Salutations version. Terrible, absolutly terrible. In 1965 the Righteous Brothers with Bobby Hatfield doing a solo recorded it and that is the definitive version.

Posts: 590 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Peter, Paul, and Mary's signature tune Leaving on a Jet Plane was written by John Denver.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
Whitney Houston singing I will always love you. I just found out not long ago that Dolly Parton wrote it and recorded it in 1973.

I just recently learned that it was Kevin Costner that suggested to Whitney that she ought to cover the song for the movie The Bodyguard.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Peter, Paul, and Mary's signature tune Leaving on a Jet Plane was written by John Denver.

And their "In the Early Morning Rain" was written by Gordon Lightfoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bOHQQfh5R8

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Love Rock and Roll originally was done by a British band called The Arrows. Joan Jett however made it her own but I long thought that her version was the first.

On a more cynical note: Stairway to Heaven. The courts presiding over the case (based in Cali, naturally) may have knuckled under to the power of the music industry and thus sided with Jimmy Page and the rest of the boys, but he knows the real truth where those chords came from. I'd never heard of Spirit and Taurus until about 15 or so years ago, and even a bonehead with tone deaf ears like me could hear it plain as day.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
"Always On My Mind" Willie Nelson

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just recently learned that it was Kevin Costner that suggested to Whitney that she ought to cover the song for the movie The Bodyguard.

Very interesting. My wife is a big Dolly Parton fan and loves that song, I have always liked Whitney Houston and love her version. But I do enjoy Dolly's version too. Great song!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
Black Magic Woman was written by Fleetwood Mac in 1968. Santana covered it in 1970.

And Gypsy Queen was written by Gabor Szabo in 1966 and also covered by Jazz guitarist Larry Coryell in 1971.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Jules Shear had at least a couple of his songs covered which became big pop hits:

All Through the Night - Cyhdi Lauper
If Knew What She Wants - The Bangles

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time. I always thought Randy Travis was the original! Saw it on Dead to Me last night on Netflix.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The cover...I heard Patty Gurdy’s cover first and fell in love...then was told her version was a cover...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ec729nmajwc

The original...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7IocRCDWB5k

The in between cover...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/CwED4C5FJuo

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post