SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cover songs you didn't know were covers.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cover songs you didn't know were covers. Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
For years I thought this was a Pretenders track. Instead it's two of Whitney Houston's cousins, Dee Dee and the uncredited not-yet-PhychicNetworkHawker Dionne on backing vocals. This version crushes all others:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
For years I thought this was a Pretenders track. Instead it's two of Whitney Houston's cousins, Dee Dee and the uncredited not-yet-PhychicNetworkHawker Dionne on backing vocals
Damn, that's a good one.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
"Always On My Mind" Willie Nelson

? what about it ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
For years I thought this was a Pretenders track.

Af far as I know, The Pretenders never covered this song. The more famous ones were by Linda Ronstadt and Van Halen.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
For years I thought this was a Pretenders track.

Af far as I know, The Pretenders never covered this song. The more famous ones were by Linda Ronstadt and Van Halen.

You're right, Ronstadt, not Hynde.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not strictly a cover, but a piece of music trivia I like to whip out lol... All in the Game the hit released in 1958 by Tommy Edwards.

The original instrumental piece, a "Melody in A Major," was written in 1911 by Charles Dawes, who later became vice President under Calvin Coolidge. (lyrics written/added by Carl Sigman in 1951)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"Turn! Turn! Turn!" - The Byrds was written by Pete Seeger and originally released as "To Everything There is a Season" performed by The Limeliters. Seeger released his own version a few months after The Limeliters did. Seeger also wrote "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" which The Kingston Trio recorded and released in 1961 after they had heard it performed by Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the levee breaks by Zepp

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps by Cake

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barry Manilow’s “I Write the Songs” was written by .... Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:
Barry Manilow’s “I Write the Songs” was written by .... Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys.

That doesn't make it a "cover" unless they also record it first.
Did the BB ever record it?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:

That doesn't make it a "cover" unless they also record it first.
Did the BB ever record it?

Like others have done in this thread (without being called out) it was an interesting piece of trivia.

But to answer your question, Captain and Tennille and David Cassiday both recorded the song before Barry Manilow. Bruce Johnston recorded it after Manilow.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listening to the radio yesterday Tesla's Little Suzi is a cover for a Ph.D song Little Suzi's on the Up

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah the thread is a month old and was pretty much dead, so side tracks and diversions is fine.

Cliff's post reminded me of one I like, totally not a cover, just sampling.

1+1+1=3 Wink You just have to play the first five seconds. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I just remembered this one.
Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I first heard John Denver sing "Angel from Montgomery" when I was in high school (1973). It was one of the first songs I learning to play on guitar.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq06SV2q0FQ

----------
A few years later I discovered John Prine's music.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDLCr0fxOQ

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
RESPECT by Otis Redding. I thought it was an Aretha Franklin song until I was reading a marriage book called "Love and Respect." In the book he said the song RESPECT was an Otis Redding song, later covered by Aretha. It turns out he was right.

Otis Redding released the song in 1965. Aretha Franklin covered it in 1967.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Silver Wings, the Knitters
Working in a Coal Mine, Devo
I Fought the Law, the Clash
Wheels, the Shaggs
Soul Kitchen, X

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The Frito Bandito, Mel Blanc, 1967 --> Cielito Lindo, Quirino Mendoza y Cortés, 1882

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"Here Comes My Baby" was first recorded by The Tremeloes 1967.
It was written in 1967 by Cat Stevens, who released it a few months after The Tremeloes.
Their version was a hit; his was not.