SIGforum
Cover songs you didn't know were covers.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4610079964

May 08, 2020, 08:17 PM
cas
Cover songs you didn't know were covers.
Yes, we do this thread every few years.

Here's one I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know until today. (or if I did I forgot)

And what's worse it was released by other artists before Rod Stewart's "famous" version.

Whatch'a got?

May 08, 2020, 08:26 PM
LS1 GTO
Blinded by the Light.

[/thread] Razz

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

May 08, 2020, 10:35 PM
smschulz
quote:
Whatch'a got?

Tina Turner Proud Mary.
Elton John Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
May 08, 2020, 11:41 PM
kkina
All Along the Watchtower written by Bob Dylan

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
May 09, 2020, 09:12 AM
henryaz

Highway 61 Revisited. For years I thought Johnny Winter "owned" that song. Actually a Bob Dylan composition.

When in doubt, mumble
May 09, 2020, 09:20 AM
oddball
"California Man"- Cheap Trick. For years, had no idea it was first performed by The Move (earlier Jeff Lynne band)

"Woodstock"- Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Took me years to learn that Joni Mitchell wrote it.

"Dazed and Confused"- Led Zeppelin. Thought to be originally a Yardbird's tune, later discovered to be originally written and performed by Jake Holmes, even though Zep's version is a little different lyrically. Page didn't write it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...GDc&feature=emb_logo

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
May 09, 2020, 09:41 AM
Leemur
Bang a Gong, thought Power Station was the original for years.
Cum on Feel the Noize, only round out a few years ago Slade was the original band.
May 09, 2020, 10:54 AM
TMats
So many songs that Brits re-envisioned, turned around and sent back to the U.S., where the music actually came from.

Example: Cream—“Crossroads” and “Spoonful.” I didn’t know the true origins of those songs until much later.

Elvis and “Hound Dog.” Big Mama Thorton? Who’s that?

May 09, 2020, 11:01 AM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Bang a Gong, thought Power Station was the original for years.

Funny, I love the T-Rex original, it is iconic, but I never knew there was a cover of the song

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
May 09, 2020, 02:41 PM
nhtagmember
You Can Keep Your Hat On

Joe Cocker

it was written by Randy Newman who did an amazingly awful hack at it
May 09, 2020, 03:15 PM
kkina
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Blinded by the Light.

Interestingly, the first time I heard MMEB's version of this song, I said to myself, "I wonder if Bruce Springsteen wrote that?"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
May 09, 2020, 03:38 PM
fpuhan
Different Drum, recorded by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys. Mike Nesmith (Monkees) wrote it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
May 09, 2020, 03:47 PM
kkina
Well, that reminds me that the Monkees' hit I'm a Believer was written by Neil Diamond.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
May 09, 2020, 03:56 PM
MikeNH
A Boy Named Sue was originally a Shel Silverstein poem.
May 09, 2020, 04:06 PM
oddball
Here's one I discovered years ago. "Love Hurts" by Nazareth, you can hear it on TV commercials. But here is the original, blew my mind at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFE2SnliiV0

May 09, 2020, 05:33 PM
tgtshuter
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
So many songs that Brits re-envisioned, turned around and sent back to the U.S., where the music actually came from.

Example: Cream—“Crossroads” and “Spoonful.” I didn’t know the true origins of those songs until much later.

Elvis and “Hound Dog.” Big Mama Thorton? Who’s that?

I know who she is only because she wrote the song "Ball and Chain".

"Ball and Chain" was covered by Big Brother And The Holding Company, sung by Janis Joplin...obviously. It's on the album "Cheap Thrills", one of the first albums I bought.

It's my favorite song of hers, and the group. I didn't know it was a a cover when I first heard it.
May 09, 2020, 05:44 PM
Skull Leader

May 09, 2020, 05:49 PM
Patrick-SP2022
Rosanne Cash - Tennessee Flat Top Box

Written and originally performed by Johnny Cash.

May 09, 2020, 06:27 PM
bendable
Baby, Now that I've found you by Alison Krause and Union Station.

My older sister and I used to sing it all the time,together back in " 68" and "69 " when the foundations introduced it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHhLiRkxNM
I had sung along with A.K.a U.S. for two years , ( back in "95") before I figured out that it was the same song.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
May 09, 2020, 06:44 PM
triggertreat
Whitney Houston singing I will always love you. I just found out not long ago that Dolly Parton wrote it and recorded it in 1973.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!