SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Boys, We're Making 'The Godfather' of Westerns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boys, We're Making 'The Godfather' of Westerns Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
That was Robert Duvall in an interview about a year-and-a-half ago speaking of "Lonesome Dove." I'm in the process of watching it again, and I'm 3/4 through it (they just reached Montana and Deets has been killed).

I took note of yet another thread involving "My Cousin Vinny." We have one about once a month, and it's one of my favorites too. "Lonesome Dove" is of course not a movie, but a 6-hour mini-series. Still, it always figures prominently when we discuss Westerns. It truly is epic, and despite a couple of faults, will always be a favorite of mine.

Here are my two favorite scenes.

Ah hait rude bahavure in uh man...

And as you can see, we don't stand for dawdling service either.

Those scenes are easy to love, but truly, some of the best scenes are a bit too subtle for those with the time and skills to cut out and post on YouTube. That would be almost every scene with Duvall and Angelica Huston, and Rick Schroeder's coming of age as an actor--he was perfect as Newt (IMO).

BTW, Duvall said, "'The Godfather' was better directed."

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I have somehow managed not to see it but I did read the books and they were outstanding. In addition to Lonesome Dove, McMurtry had some others in the series.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
My dog's fancy name is "Augustus" after his character, and we call him "Gus".

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
My dog's fancy name is "Augustus" after his character, and we call him "Gus".

Same here. Wink

My next pooch will be Woodrow.

Love this movie/miniseries, and while it took me awhile to warm up to it, I also love Return to Lonesome Dove. Jon Voight does a great job as Call.

Both DVDs are dang near worn out.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
my wife's family dog was also called Augustus/Gus.

(My dog now is called Doc, as in, Holliday.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two older grandsons had watched Lonesome Dove at least 5 times when my daughter was expecting #3. She had problems with him and the doc's had to take him 12 weeks early. The older brothers had wanted to name #3 Augustus and call him "Gus" but the Mom and Dad would have none of that.

The little guy weighed 2 lbs 2 ozs when he was born and spent just over 12 weeks in NICU. They had his name, weight, parent's name, etc. on card taped to his incubator. My daughter told the nurses about the older brothers wanting to name him Augustus. One of the nurses took a sharpie and in big letters wrote "GUS" at the top of the card. She said the it sounded tough and the little guy needed a tough name to survive.

It stuck!! 15 years later nobody knows Layton but everybody knows GUS....

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
My two older grandsons had watched Lonesome Dove at least 5 times when my daughter was expecting #3. She had problems with him and the doc's had to take him 12 weeks early. The older brothers had wanted to name #3 Augustus and call him "Gus" but the Mom and Dad would have none of that.

The little guy weighed 2 lbs 2 ozs when he was born and spent just over 12 weeks in NICU. They had his name, weight, parent's name, etc. on card taped to his incubator. My daughter told the nurses about the older brothers wanting to name him Augustus. One of the nurses took a sharpie and in big letters wrote "GUS" at the top of the card. She said the it sounded tough and the little guy needed a tough name to survive.

It stuck!! 15 years later nobody knows Layton but everybody knows GUS....

Just right!

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I re-read the whole series a year or two ago.

I've been a McMurtry fan since I was in college and was assigned to read "Leaving Cheyenne" in freshman English.

The mini-series was very good, but the books are truly excellent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Gus McCrae: Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

I love that movie. I usually watch it when we get Snowed or "iced" in and can't go anywhere, or I'm sick.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post