SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Horologists — SEIKO SKX007 still the best GADA value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horologists — SEIKO SKX007 still the best GADA value? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I’m selling off my golf equipment to pay some cancer bills, and hope to pick up a beater watch along the way.

How many here would recommend the SKX007?

New, or vintage pre-owned?

Other models or movements to consider?

In another recent thread, I mentioned that somewhere, I still have my Dad’s Pepsi diver. Does anyone have a recommendation for repair and service?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Seiko SKX007 is an iconic watch that seems to run and run and run without cleaning and adjustment. Now I'm not advocating avoiding servicing mind you. Its just that so many have reported how durable the 7S26 movement is.

I have one (SKX011J - orange dial variant) and it has been bulletproof for the near 2 decades I've owned it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The action is robust and enduring. I’ve owned mine from the late 80’s. Still going. I thought about having it overhauled with a new face and crystal. Nah, it like the character but I have replaced the strap a few times with NATO nylon.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a robust movement but not terribly accurate or precise. It doesn’t hack (pulling the crown doesn’t stop the seconds hand) nor hand wind. Quality control is a bit spotty as many examples have misaligned chapter rings (indices and minute markers don’t line up).

It’s a mutt that’s trying and it’s charming for what it is. If you’re interested in a mechanical diver’s watch at that price point, it’s not a bad way to go. If you have smaller wrists you might want to replace the OEM rubber strap. There are lots of aftermarket strap and bracelet options, and tons of parts for modifying to completely change the look (like dial, hands, bezel inserts, etc.).

If we go with value being quality divided by price, for a GADA, I’d say no. It’s quite sporty and looks it. But as a summer beater it’s not bad at all.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
GADA
?????

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
GADA
?????

https://www.gada.com/

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
GADA
?????

https://www.gada.com/

"Go Anywhere, Do Anything" Basically your daily watch that can be worn (and survive) anything you do daily, from working in the yard, to going out.

My Resco was my GADA for years, now it is my Seiko Orange Monster. Man I love that watch.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Had one for 15 years. Bombproof. Wear it nearly daily.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are very good inexpensive mechanical divers.

You can move up to the next rank of Seiko divers with a Monster, but they will cost more. You'll get more waterproofness, more accuracy, handwinding, and hacking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Island watch usually has them, sometimes on sale. Great watch. I love mine.

www.longislandwatch.com

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Second the "bombproof."

Bead-blasted and aftermarket dial/hands...

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Island watch usually has them, sometimes on sale. Great watch. I love mine.

www.longislandwatch.com

I've purchased from Long Island Watch. Great prices and fast shipping. I absolutely vouch for them. Plus, the You Tube channel has a ton of great informational videos.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
It’s a robust movement but not terribly accurate or precise. It doesn’t hack (pulling the crown doesn’t stop the seconds hand) nor hand wind. Quality control is a bit spotty as many examples have misaligned chapter rings (indices and minute markers don’t line up).

It’s a mutt that’s trying and it’s charming for what it is. If you’re interested in a mechanical diver’s watch at that price point, it’s not a bad way to go. If you have smaller wrists you might want to replace the OEM rubber strap. There are lots of aftermarket strap and bracelet options, and tons of parts for modifying to completely change the look (like dial, hands, bezel inserts, etc.).

If we go with value being quality divided by price, for a GADA, I’d say no. It’s quite sporty and looks it. But as a summer beater it’s not bad at all.

This is a review I would have appreciated reading prior to buying mine. It still runs, but loses several minutes a week (like, 10ish). Sent it back to them, paid to have it adjusted, still does the same. I've contemplated buying another one, since I really like the look and figure there's a lemon in every product line, I just got mine. Instead I got a Citizen that looks similar from Dave Truong, and it runs like a scalded dog, so I've shelved the idea of another 007 for the time being.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Casio Rangeman GW9400 - Solar Powered, Water Resistant (200M), Shock Resistant 'ABC' Watch w/ Atomic Clock Sync! Quite possibly the ultimate GADA/TEOTWAWKI/SHTF Watch value! Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1790050254

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post