SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Downton Abby, The Movie.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downton Abby, The Movie. Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
Went to see it today.

Nice but no "Closed Caption"

for those of us who don't

understand British accents.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I saw it with Mrs Pulicords today too. It started out a bit slow, but developed momentum. No spoilers, but we liked the ending and overall the movie was quite good. Maybe I'm watching too much on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I found the accents quite understandable compared to other offerings from the UK and Australia. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
most theaters have devices that will solve this but it's no guarantee that you'd agree to wear them.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it with my wife yesterday. Very enjoyable for fans of the show.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
The lack of CC is why I'm waiting for the DVD.

...assuming I'm a fan of the show...which I'm not.

You can't prove anything! Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
most theaters have devices that will solve this but it's no guarantee that you'd agree to wear them.

What is the device?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The wife and I had tickets to the early premiere.

Warning, I was forced by Mrs. Redstone to sit through the entire last season to prepare and was up to speed for the final movie. Seriously, they did a good job with it. I laughed more than I thought I would. cringed more than I thought I would but generally we had a great time. It was a fun evening out.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Just watched.

Good movie. Seems like they tried to fit a full season of episodes into a 2 hour film. Some parts were just not fully developed and seemed rushed, in my opinion. One theme was obviously inserted that took up 15 minutes and it could have taken 5.

Cinematography was excellent, music was great, acting was great. I hope the costume designer wins an Oscar.

I would have liked this better over a season, but overall, glad I saw it in the theater.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
What is the device?
captioning glasses.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Related, did all of you watch the series? I was thinking of getting into it and wonder if it's really worth it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Enjoyable. Overall well done.

Some of it ties up a little too perfectly, but not implausibly.

Left the door open for future movie or series.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My wife, sisters and some nieces are there now. I'm sure they'll enjoy it since they're all fans.

Went to Boston for the traveling exhibit with her yesterday. One sister was supposed to go but had a last minute conflict. Men were outnumbered 10:1. It was way too crowded to enjoy. I'm familiar enough with the show to know what I was able to see was well done, but people constantly jostling and cutting in front of you kept you from seeing as much as was available.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
saw it last night, and a fan of the series,

well done,

some parts did seem to drag, others a bit rushed, the entire Mr. Barrow nightclub scene was a bit contrived (maybe just trying to seem a bit SJW??)

overall a good show,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Related, did all of you watch the series? I was thinking of getting into it and wonder if it's really worth it.

I was never a fan of soap operas or period pieces...Until I started on Downton.

It is VERY well done and factual to the period it's in. Like stepping back in time and being a fly on the wall.

Yeah quite a bit of soap opera'ish too, but still enjoyable.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw the film on Saturday. Very well done. I laughed out loud several times.

I heard Julian Fellowes saying in interviews that the Barrow stuff was in the film to show how tough things were for some folks back then.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
As many here may know, Julian Fellowes won an Oscar for his 2001 Gosford Park screenplay. His knowledge of the intricacies of English upstairs/downstairs life was used there and was vastly expanded upon in all of his Downton Abbey scripts. His screenwriter's commentary on the Gosford Park DVD is worth more than one viewing.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went and saw it last night. Very well done overall, but could have done without the Barrow sub-plot. Maggie Smith is my favorite. Her one-liners rarely disappoint Big Grin

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

I was never a fan of soap operas or period pieces...Until I started on Downton.

It is VERY well done and factual to the period it's in. Like stepping back in time and being a fly on the wall.

Yeah quite a bit of soap opera'ish too, but still enjoyable.

Thanks, FN!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I started the series last night and watched five episodes. Better than I expected. I think I'm hooked.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started the series last night and watched five episodes. Better than I expected. I think I'm hooked.

It has similar elements and timeline to the 1970s BBC/PBS series “Upstairs/Downstairs”, but is better produced, acted, and directed.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post