SIGforum
Downton Abby, The Movie.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4590091164

October 01, 2019, 01:27 PM
YellowJacket
Downton Abby, The Movie.
Hey everybody make sure you remember that MR. BARROW IS GAY!!!

Other than that unnecessary tangent it was pretty good. I do wish Lady Rose (Lily James) had been able to make an appearance. My wife watches the show and I've watched enough to know the plot outline but not all of the details.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
October 02, 2019, 02:54 AM
LastCubScout
I enjoyed that film more than I thought I would. The tone was a little light and airy, but Julian Fellowes knows that world so well. I loved that the main storyline is that the staff is miffed that the royal servants are shoving them aside, and one of the many smaller b-stories is "Oh, by the way, someone's plotting to assassinate the king." Any other film would have that as its dominating a-story!

I liked that Mr. Moseley had some presence - he's one of my favorite characters. I really dislike that self-righteous Bates so I was quite happy they gave him NOTHING to do in the movie! I also appreciated seeing Lady Edith's cleavage. She cleans up well. I always preferred her over Mary (and Sybil).
October 09, 2019, 10:58 AM
bendable
Bonnie wanted to go , so , I went with her .
I don't watch the tv show, s o o o o o .

2.5 hours ! Eek

car chases : 0
shot's fired : 0
flagrantly inappropriate sex scenes: 0
foul language : 0
explosions: 0
politics level : 2.3
cool vehicles : 5

I yawned about 7 times,
fell asleep for 20 minutes
no laughs , no giggles, no chortles, no titters.

would it have killed them to include John Cleese or Michael Palin ?

exterior shots were pretty ,
If this was the worst movie that I will see this year , I did well.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 01, 2022, 02:15 PM
6guns
And now there is A New Era movie. Watched it last night and I continue to enjoy the characters and ongoing saga.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
July 02, 2022, 08:57 AM
Blackmore
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
And now there is A New Era movie. Watched it last night and I continue to enjoy the characters and ongoing saga.

My wife, her sisters and one niece went to the opening night. They said it was good, but not as good as the first one. Maybe Julian Fellowes (the writer) has lost a little off his "fast bowl" Wink

Truth: The New Hate Speech
July 05, 2022, 11:57 AM
corsair
After blowing the show-off early on, I've come around and enjoyed it, quite a display of smart writing, acting and just an overall sound production. Is this movie purely a fan-service project?
July 05, 2022, 03:37 PM
2BobTanner
Julian Fellowes literally stole the “silent movie to talkie movie” concept from the movie “Singing in the Rain”, right down to dubbing the obnoxious accent actress with Lady Mary’s voiceover. And “Mr Molesley” was his comic self that saved the remake into a talkie. And the “Dowager” stole every scene, including the last one.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken