SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    An interesting fact about the numbering of Mozart symphonies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting fact about the numbering of Mozart symphonies Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The last of Mozart’s symphonies is #41, but there are only 40 Mozart symphonies. Why? Because symphony #37 was eventually discovered to have been a Michael Haydn symphony, with its first movement replaced with one by Mozart. Symphony #37 was then removed from the catalog of Mozart symphonies, but the numbering of later Mozart symphonies wasn’t revised.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...hony_No._37_(Mozart)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Here's one for you. People with higher incomes generally prefer their toilet paper to come over the roll, while those with lower incomes prefer it to go under. In a 1989 book, Barry Sinrod and Mel Poretz revealed that 60% of people making more than $50,000 a year preferred the toilet paper to come over the roll, while 73% of those making under $20,000 preferred it to go under.

So what other interesting facts are out there?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So that's why I'm poor, it's the way I get my toilet paper. From now on, it's over the top for me.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The rich folks are correct. The original patent for the toilet paper roll shows the designer's intended "over" positioning:

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Over the top, unless you have a cat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Aw shit.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I don't remember, in recent memory, a hard turn like this thread. I found the Mozart info somewhat interesting, but the hard turn makes me realize my wife wants to be poor.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I actually thought the thread would turn into a series of bizarre but somewhat interesting (depending upon your point of view) random facts. There wasn't much to say about the original post. But the thread seems to have gotten stuck in the toilet.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
So this is the musical equivalent of the 1983 Corvette?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that the over/under toilet paper installation also seems to be a male v. female thing. Any time any female I know replaces a roll, they have it coming from under. Most guys I know have it coming over.

Just weird observations. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If someone suggests you don't know squat, politely educate them with your new knowledge:
quote:
Wikipedia Link:
The squat effect is the hydrodynamic phenomenon by which a vessel moving quickly through shallow water creates an area of lowered pressure that causes the ship to be closer to the seabed than would otherwise be expected. This phenomenon is caused when water that should normally flow under the hull encounters resistance due to the close proximity of the hull to the seabed. Leonardo's law causes the water to move faster in water level (where section is smaller); according to Bernoulli's principle, the increasing velocity causes low pressure, such that the ship is pulled down. Squat effect from a combination of vertical sinkage and a change of trim may cause the vessel to dip towards the stern or towards the bow.[1]

Squat effect is approximately proportional to the square of the speed of the ship. Thus, by reducing speed by half, the squat effect is reduced by a factor of four.[2] Squat effect is usually felt more when the depth/draft ratio is less than four[2] or when sailing close to a bank. It can lead to unexpected groundings and handling difficulties.

It was a cause of the 7 August 1992 grounding of the Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) off Cuttyhunk Island, near Martha's Vineyard. The liner's speed at the time was 24 knots (12 m/s) and the draft was 32 feet (9.8 m). The rock upon which the vessel grounded was an uncharted shoal later determined to be 34.5 feet (10.5 m), which should have given her room to spare, were it not for the "squat effect."[3] U.S. National Transportation Safety Board investigators found that the QE2's officers significantly underestimated the amount the increase in speed would increase the ship's squat. The officers allowed for 2 feet (0.61 m) of squat in their calculations, but the NTSB concluded that squat at that speed and depth would have been between 4.5 and 8 feet (1.4 and 2.4 m).[4]

Squat is also mentioned as a factor in the collision of the bulk carriers Tecam Sea and Federal Fuji in the port of Sorel, Quebec, in April 2000.[1]

The third largest cruise ship in the world, MS Oasis of the Seas, used this effect to obtain an extra margin of clearance between the vessel and the Great Belt bridge, Denmark, 1 November 2009, on a voyage from the shipyard in Turku, Finland to Florida, USA.[5] The new cruise liner passed under the bridge at 20 knots (37 km/h) in the shallow channel, giving the ship extra clearance due to a 30 cm squat.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There's a story about Mahler and his 9th symphony which may or may not be true.

Mahler was working on his 9th symphony when he got to thinking. Beethoven 9th symphony-dead. Schubert 9th symphony-dead. Bruckner 9th symphony-dead. Dvořák 9th symphony-dead. My wife, Alma, is trying to fuck every male on Manhattan Island and I've got a bad heart. I ain't stupid; I just won't have a 9th symphony, I'll call this one my 10th one. After a year or so, he decided that it was a confusing and dumb thing to do, so he renumbered the 10th to the 9th. Mahler-dead.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Further DuckDuckGoing into confusion of Mozart with Michael Haydn turned up this:

A model for Mozart? Michael Haydn’s Requiem

And further exploration of this website makes it appear to be JUST WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR:
A refuge from “hot” topics and fake news, a haven for conservatives who like to at least dip into music, art, literature, and philosophy.

Here’s the home page of The Imaginative Conservative.

Thank you Pipe Smoker, you have no idea how much you have contributed to my peace of mind and soul.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
So, was Mozart an over or under man?

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And I thank you, S. J. That is indeed an interesting web site.

BTW, I’m going to try to find “Mozart’s” symphony #37. The first movement is Mozart’s, and I frequently find that I enjoy his first movements the best.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And I did find #37 (AKA KV 444), on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/FDLlF6wz34U

Quite good, including Michael’s part. Mozart clearly thought Michael’s symphony #25 to be a good one.

Serious about crackers

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I've noticed that the over/under toilet paper installation also seems to be a male v. female thing. Any time any female I know replaces a roll, they have it coming from under. Most guys I know have it coming over.

I concur. I always considered it a gender thing. Not a socio-economic thing. My TP goes over and every woman I knew was under. Go figure.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
So far we have 2 threads under one thread heading and both of them appear to deal with movements.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

See above.
Women have cats, or are planning to have them.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
So what other interesting facts are out there?

Rabbits do not normally wear rolls of toilet paper on their heads.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post